Alright so here's a Quake III Arena port
    This only works on the OS 2.0 beta

On and the game runs silky smooth

.bar for sideloading
    Quake 3 v1.3.3.1

Instructions
    1. Sideload bar http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...indows-619796/
    2. We need to create a folder and a subfolder in /misc like so /misc/quake3/baseq3
    3. If you have a legal version of Quake III Arena you may transfer your pak0.pk3 from the installation cd (found in /baseq3) to the baseq3 folder on your PlayBook. Otherwise you can use the demo .pk3 found here
    4. Start the game!

Custom maps for multiplayer
    Download any maps you'd like from Map Factory - the game map database and copy them to your /baseq3 folder

Screenshots

Github
    https://github.com/sergeh/Quake3
    https://github.com/blackberry/Quake3
    Last edited by sergeh; 01-30-12 at 04:51 PM. Reason: added screenshots
    01-30-12 02:19 PM
    Will take a look at github shortly, see if it's "easy" to add loading of assets from a wifi accessible folder. Instead of having to recompile the BAR each time, one could simply put the demo or full version PK3 files in said folder.
    01-30-12 02:23 PM
    thanks man, can't wait to try it out.
    01-30-12 02:29 PM
    Runs great, controls are...not great.
    Of course they did say it was a quick port. Could definitely be made better.
    Also don't change the display settings, it closes Q3A.
    01-30-12 02:54 PM
    yeah controls are pretty hard
    01-30-12 02:59 PM
    I'll take a look at the code and see if I can't do a few fixes myself.
    01-30-12 03:02 PM
    I'll take a look at the code and see if I can't do a few fixes myself.
    sure, in the meantime I'm testing to see if we can load assets from a different folder. Might have found a solution but need to try it out
    01-30-12 03:12 PM
    I've also been looking into the asset loading. In code/unix/qnx_main.c the cmd line parameters are set including the fs_basepath. Based on reading the description in code/qcommon/files.c I think setting the fs_basepath to somewhere in the shared directory should work. It would need to combined with setting fs_cdpath for non-writable resources, which should point to the app folder and pickup packaged maps/the executable. Plus of course the access_shared permission.

@sergeh, is that what you're planning to do? If not I might try it out myself.
    01-30-12 03:41 PM
    I've also been looking into the asset loading. In code/unix/qnx_main.c the cmd line parameters are set including the fs_basepath. Based on reading the description in code/qcommon/files.c I think setting the fs_basepath to somewhere in the shared directory should work. It would need to combined with setting fs_cdpath for non-writable resources, which should point to the app folder and pickup packaged maps/the executable. Plus of course the access_shared permission.

@sergeh, is that what you're planning to do? If not I might try it out myself.
    it's exactly what I'm planning to do actually. I tried hardcoding it but for some reason it doesn't work, games keeps crashing and it doesn't find the default.cfg. I placed pk0.pk3 in misc/quake3/base3q

I don't think we have to change fs_cdpath since it already points to the default app path.

Edit

Also tried running cmd line parameters but no go
    Last edited by sergeh; 01-30-12 at 03:58 PM.
    01-30-12 03:54 PM
    nevermind, got it to work, I'll be uploading it shortly
    01-30-12 04:04 PM
    OP updated with new bar and instructions for loading custom maps
    01-30-12 04:32 PM
    This community is just great i played around and made a quick video to post here including a little guide on how to compile and run quake3. Now sergeh has already taken the lead and also posted up a downloadable .bar for all of us which is even better. Thanks sergeh.

This is the video for all folks not running beta os 2 to see what they are missing out on
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWdBGbQCFfM[/YT]
    give it a few more minutes yt is still processing the video for full resolution.
    KermEd and kritikal like this.
    01-30-12 04:58 PM
    Wow this is just great some work on the controls and this will be perfect, my only real problem is the sensitivity, is there a way to turn it up?

Edit

Nevermind I figured it out just go to the game setup and change the look sensitivity, I recomend you do it it really does help
    Last edited by spyhomer; 01-30-12 at 05:09 PM.
    01-30-12 05:06 PM
    you can change the mouse speed in setup. There's a lot of improvements that can be done for controls though
    01-30-12 05:11 PM
    Now we just need to get Unreal Tournament 2003 that was an awsome game.
    01-30-12 05:17 PM
    The Custom maps are always crashing, is this happening to anybody else?

Well just checked with other maps, and it seems to be that whenever I enter skirmish mode it crashes?? could this have to do with the fact that i have the demo version?
    Last edited by spyhomer; 01-30-12 at 05:37 PM.
    01-30-12 05:27 PM
    hmm it does indeed crash for skirmish mode, I'll take a look a bit later and try to locate the problem
    01-30-12 05:50 PM
    For controls, I think the crappiness is due to the fact that the movements are bound to keys rather than a mouse axis or something of the sort. Maybe emulating a gamepay/joystick will yield better results?
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    01-30-12 06:12 PM
    Sergeh the updated .bar you posted is not right. It's less than a MB.
    01-30-12 07:37 PM
    Now I wish I was running 2.0 beta lol.

As for Unreal Tournament - UT99 is the best game ever!
    01-30-12 07:40 PM
    Sergeh the updated .bar you posted is not right. It's less than a MB.
    Actually it is right, I've updated it so that you can use whichever custom map you want and if you own Quake III, you may also use the pak0.pk3 on the CD to have the full version on the PlayBook. No assets are bundled in this package, making it easy for everyone to use whatever maps they want

Just read over the instructions in the OP on where to put the files
    KermEd likes this.
    01-30-12 07:41 PM
    For controls, I think the crappiness is due to the fact that the movements are bound to keys rather than a mouse axis or something of the sort. Maybe emulating a gamepay/joystick will yield better results?
    I haven't looked at the controls yet, will do when I have some spare time but they are mapped to keys.

There's absolutely no sensitivity for movement
    01-30-12 07:57 PM
    Actually it is right, I've updated it so that you can use whichever custom map you want and if you own Quake III, you may also use the pak0.pk3 on the CD to have the full version on the PlayBook. No assets are bundled in this package, making it easy for everyone to use whatever maps they want

Just read over the instructions in the OP on where to put the files
    My apologies. I missed that you made that change since the previous version was 95MB or so.

Thanks!
    01-30-12 10:29 PM
    Just wanted to say it has run beautifully for me and thank you. Loving it
    01-31-12 12:26 AM
    the game crashes on start up for me. i may be doing something wrong? i followed all the steps in the OP. any ideas?
    01-31-12 01:46 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD