Hi guys,

in my frustrating search for a good pdf-Viewer I wrote an Email to a softwarecompany that made a programm for the android market. They just wrote me back that they will build qPDF Notes for the AppWorld.

So hopefully coming soon.
    03-08-12 12:58 PM
    I would prefer a native PDF application. What was the point of Research In Motion having Premier Partners for the BlackBerry PlayBook when these "partners" show such a disinterest in developing high-quality applications for the tablet?
    FF22 and Stewartj1 like this.
    03-08-12 01:52 PM
    GIVE UP PDF TO GO!!

Really, I woudn't be surprised if RIM had an agreement with Adobe preventing them to bring PDF to Go to the PlayBook because of Adobe Reader.
    03-08-12 01:58 PM
    It's on AppWorld now

EDIT:. $9.99
    El Bori likes this.
    03-08-12 02:32 PM
    The qPDF viewer is free. Downloading now.
    03-08-12 02:37 PM
    Ya the reader's free, AND it's a billion times better than the native Acrobat one lol.

Search, bookmarks work, scrolls much more smoothly.

WIN!!!
    03-08-12 02:53 PM
    I am having trouble finding the basic menu selections such as Documents. It shows downloads, but not the original PB directory. Seems to just go to Android directory?

Help please.... Found Astro doing the same thing.

Brian
    03-08-12 02:54 PM
    Ya it doesn't look like you can access the PB file directory.

I just used FILE BROWSER to copy a PDF from my documents to the Android directory.
    03-08-12 02:59 PM
    Oh yeah just saw it. It works!! It works with my books and my normal pdfs rendering is good ...renders a page skip within 3 seconds... opens pictures very well...there is a fast page skip...portrait and landscape mode...finger zoom...but no bookmarks but pretty well programm.
    03-08-12 02:59 PM
    That is not right. If it is going to be in APP world it needs to recognize the Playbook menu

Brian
    03-08-12 03:03 PM
    I sucked it up and paid the 9.99 for the full version.

It is surprisingly good. Quick, just as everyone mentioned the free reader is as well.

has a few shapes, freehand annotate, sticky notes, add text, highlight/underline/strikethru text, bookmark etc etc.

Only briefly looked at it, but the one gripe I have is the same as others. Cant access PB documents directly. Will add it to the app review.

Nice to see Android Player bearing some useful fruit!

Edit: unintentional false advertising! my bad. No Bookmarks function are in this that I can see.
    Last edited by dusdal; 03-08-12 at 03:12 PM.
    03-08-12 03:08 PM
    I downloaded the demo of the annotator and when I save as, I can't open the newly created file through the native pdf reader (it says invalid path) and when I connect to pc, the file doesn't even show up in the directory. Problem...
    03-08-12 03:50 PM
    Hi Folks,

I just wanted to pop in here and respond to a few of your comments

We are looking at the file directory, Send, and Save As issues. At this point, we think they're related to how the Playbook keeps Android apps separated from regular apps but it's just a thought for now until we can dig in further. (Edit: for the time being, just Save a document and if you want a copy, create one from within your file manager of choice and edit that one!)

I also noticed in my testing that switching between Android apps sometimes makes the document close, so if you want to switch be sure to save first!

Will try and update progress on here when I know something more...

-Karen

EDIT: The file directory issue has been fixed in the latest release!
    Last edited by karen qpdf; 03-16-12 at 07:49 AM.
    03-09-12 11:23 AM
    This app rocks and fills a real need on the PlayBook. And their support has been super quick and responsive. Once these issues are corrected it will be one of my most important apps!!!
    belsunce and mem0ryburn like this.
    03-09-12 03:30 PM
    I noticed a lot of lag when opening PDF files in the qpdf viewer. If it is released as a native app, it might be easier to use. And I wish I can pull down the table of contents whenever needed like on the computer. that would be neat.
    harist3a likes this.
    03-10-12 12:09 AM
    Hi everyone!

We're got a fix for the file browsing issue. It's currently with Blackberry to review, so as soon as they approve the update, it should be ready for you guys to update on your devices.

Still investigating the Save As and Send items to see how much of that is an Android port/VM issue vs something we can fix ourselves.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    03-12-12 07:57 AM
    Karen,
    Will software updates be free across all versions? Also, is there the possibility of enterprise licensing the full version?
    03-12-12 08:03 AM
    Karen,
    Will software updates be free across all versions? Also, is there the possibility of enterprise licensing the full version?
    Yes, we expect all updates will be free!

For enterprise licensing, email sales at qoppa dot com
    03-12-12 08:57 AM
    Will there also be any expectatoins going forward of a native app as well? Or working with RIM to have this bundled in future software updates? The application is far superior to the current reader.
    03-12-12 08:58 AM
    Agreed.

I paid 9.99 for this and am happy to have a big functionality gap filled.

However, I would pay another ten to have it as a native Playbook app.

Thanks for your work so far!
    03-12-12 09:16 AM
    At this point, we're undecided about making a native BB version of the app. We need to gauge its reception on the Playbook as well as the time it would take for our small company to divert a resource to another project for an extended period of time!

We would, of course, love to be bundled, but I'm sure that would require being a native app, and even then, there's no guarantee of the bundle happening!

So, the best answer I can offer now is "Maybe - it depends on a whole host of other factors!"
    03-12-12 09:35 AM
    Was looking for a replacement for the default pdf reader. Sadly qPDF seems to lag horribly on all my large pdfs. Very disappointed that its unusable, would be willing to buy this if it would have way better performance.
    03-12-12 01:26 PM
    Was looking for a replacement for the default pdf reader. Sadly qPDF seems to lag horribly on all my large pdfs. Very disappointed that its unusable, would be willing to buy this if it would have way better performance.
    Could you PM me so we can arrange getting a PDF sent over our way? We've got plans to improve performance over the next few releases, so having more example documents will help us test to make sure we're getting things right
    03-12-12 01:32 PM
    Agreed.

I paid 9.99 for this and am happy to have a big functionality gap filled.

However, I would pay another ten to have it as a native Playbook app.

Thanks for your work so far!
    So long as it supported bookmarks, and text annotation I'd go further. My business life revolves around pdfs, I have a current license for Bluebeam and gladly pay several times more than that for updates, while still having a 3 year old Foxit Phantom. Bookmarks are a must for me so will wait to see what shows up that supports that.
    03-12-12 04:52 PM
    At this point, we're undecided about making a native BB version of the app. We need to gauge its reception on the Playbook as well as the time it would take for our small company to divert a resource to another project for an extended period of time!

We would, of course, love to be bundled, but I'm sure that would require being a native app, and even then, there's no guarantee of the bundle happening!

So, the best answer I can offer now is "Maybe - it depends on a whole host of other factors!"
    It's fantastic to see some more choice for handling PDFs on the Playbook. Thank you very much for supporting the platform!
    03-12-12 05:22 PM
127 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD