good day!
    i once purchased an app that was free for a limited time. the promo period ended and it went back to being a paid app. on an update notification of the app it appeared that i have now to pay the app to get the update, which i did, because i've liked the app. does this hold true to the other apps now that would be " free for a limited time" (eg. modern combat)when they update? does this mean that it becomes free for us to download it and try it in its full version and when an update comes it will be our choice if we pay for it to be updated or just have it in the version when we purchased it for free so it remains 'free'(not updated)? i've thought that since it's already listed in my 'my world' account, it only means that i've downloaded it from the app world, whether i got it for free, on a discounted price, or full price and any price change should not matter and should not affect any updates that would occur in the future.
    i've searched the other threads and the suggestions were to notify the support team, which i did, but no response.
    i do not complain of app prices or anything. i just want to be cleared on the protocol(if any)in instances like this so i would not sort of notifying the or asking for refunds to the support team everytime it happens.
    thank you very much...
    Last edited by bakeke44; 04-28-12 at 07:32 AM.
    04-28-12 05:00 AM
    I have the same with the Unzipme app. It was free at the time I downloaded it. Now there is a paid update. I have to pay € 2.50 for it. I just keep the old version. But I actually don't know if there is a protocol on this.

The one thing bothered me alot, was that I downloaded Photo Editor Ultimate back in November (?), which was free With Compliments of Blackberry. I deleted the app temporarely, because I wanted to try out another photo app. Just a few days ago I upgraded Blackberry App World. I wanted to install Photo Editor Ultimate again, but now it's unavailable for my device, since my country is not supported for the new With Compliments of Blackberry promo...
    04-28-12 05:40 AM
    I had a similar experience, I purchased an app at regular price and was asked to pay more for update as price of app had increased. I wasn't quite sure what to think of that.
    04-28-12 07:13 AM
    I don't like this practice. It's what drug dealers do to get one "hooked". It makes the offer dishonest. It's the same for discounted apps as well when in order to "update" you have to repurchase it at full price...... If they're not going to honor the offer in the future than they shouldn't have made it.

With PC companies, like Ashampoo, disscount their software all of the time and honor it for updates for the entire cycle of that version. Even when there is an upgrade they give previous owners a discount, even those who bought the last version at a discount.
    Last edited by sjc1963; 04-28-12 at 07:42 AM.
    04-28-12 07:22 AM
    The developers can't change this behavior. It's an problem with AppWorld. Please don't give devs bad rating for something they cannot change.
    Mfg
    sagec and polytope like this.
    04-28-12 11:23 AM
    It's a business. Developers (most) create apps for profit. They utilize what they can to promote and sell. This gives them capital to create more and upgrade existing products. We as the consumers make our own choices to where our money goes and who we support. Why does any of this surprise anybody?
    04-28-12 12:55 PM
    The developers can't change this behavior. It's an problem with AppWorld. Please don't give devs bad rating for something they cannot change.
    Mfg
    Baloney. If Appworld has you listed as a legal user for the software it can continue onto the next release even if the offer is over. It does this when full price is paid. Are we second class because we got it for less or free? You're just making excuses.
    04-28-12 03:57 PM
    It's a business. Developers (most) create apps for profit. They utilize what they can to promote and sell. This gives them capital to create more and upgrade existing products. We as the consumers make our own choices to where our money goes and who we support. Why does any of this surprise anybody?

Irrelevant. The customer comes first. Profit comes when people want your product because it is a better quality than the rest. Many businesses have forgotten this and are for profit at all costs even at the expense of the customer. It's one reason why capitalism is a failure for the majority now. In America 99% suffer while 1% profit.....

Tricking people with offers of discounts and free are dishonest when you plan on not honoring them later. Its no better than when a drug dealer gives the first one for free....... We don't expect it to carry on forever but for at least the version cycle.
    04-28-12 04:10 PM
    Irrelevant. The customer comes first. Profit comes when people want your product because it is a better quality than the rest. Many businesses have forgotten this and are for profit at all costs even at the expense of the customer. It's one reason why capitalism is a failure for the majority now. In America 99% suffer while 1% profit.....

Tricking people with offers of discounts and free are dishonest when you plan on not honoring them later. Its no better than when a drug dealer gives the first one for free....... We don't expect it to carry on forever but for at least the version cycle.
    .. but ur from Canada where tax is 40% of income / profits.. ahem*

btw OP you didnt purchase the app if it was downloaded for free. just to clarify
    04-28-12 04:58 PM
    .. but ur from Canada where tax is 40% of income / profits.. ahem*

btw OP you didnt purchase the app if it was downloaded for free. just to clarify
    Irrelevant on both counts.

Its not as if the app was always free beforehand, it is a "limited time offer". If updates and patches are not included that would leave you with a defective product... Which hurts the developer instead.

We get something back for our taxes BTW. Our country is not on the brink of bankruptcy either..... American children have the lowest quality of life in the West as well.
    Last edited by sjc1963; 04-28-12 at 05:59 PM.
    04-28-12 05:38 PM
    Well, I got a gamepack for free. There is a bug in it where one game comes up for two choices of games. So a game was actually missing. Now there's the notice if upgrade but I don't want to.pay to get the correct suite of games. But I also keep getting that darn upgrade reminder. Irritating.
    04-28-12 06:23 PM
    Well, I got a gamepack for free. There is a bug in it where one game comes up for two choices of games. So a game was actually missing. Now there's the notice if upgrade but I don't want to.pay to get the correct suite of games. But I also keep getting that darn upgrade reminder. Irritating.
    I bet you feel like you're being pressured like a drug dealer would........ The first one is always free....
    04-28-12 07:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD