I think the most obvious point is that RIM wanted to bring a tablet to the market that already had a strong app market place.

This still hasn't happened and there looks to be some major roadblocks ahead even when OS 2.0 officially comes out.

Firstly, from what I've read, full android app support isn't there.

Secondly, wouldn't this just completely kill interest in native playbook app development? Who is really going to bother to develop natively for the playbook when its install base is extremely tiny compared to the android market?

Third, all of the top cross-platform development tools like phonegap (which was just bought by adobe meaning it will be a key player) and appcelerator do not support the playbook. phonegap supports iOS/android and BB 5-6.0 or something. appcelerator supports iOS/android only. Without support from these two giants, how is the blackberry app world for playbook going to thrive?
    12-09-11 06:52 PM
    I did a blog post recently covering some of what you are asking about: http://crackberry.com/build-or-port-...ort-blackberry
    12-09-11 07:01 PM
    I think their promise of android app support was fail mostly because its not out on the official OS and its far past the date range they promised.
    12-09-11 07:04 PM
    I did a blog post recently covering some of what you are asking about: http://crackberry.com/build-or-port-...ort-blackberry
    oh awesome! I'll check it out.
    12-09-11 07:08 PM
    I don't know what not having "full android support" really means. Android has some great apps but it also has a lot of crappy buggy ones and outdated apps.

I feel it is critical to Playbook's survival that it have access to Android apps. Running Android apps in a virtual environment, aka sandbox, will go a long way to keeping RIM's secure business image intact while allowing it to operate as an entertainment device.

I just hope RIM doesn't blow it this time.
    12-09-11 07:22 PM
    I don't know what not having "full android support" really means. Android has some great apps but it also has a lot of crappy buggy ones and outdated apps.

I feel it is critical to Playbook's survival that it have access to Android apps. Running Android apps in a virtual environment, aka sandbox, will go a long way to keeping RIM's secure business image intact while allowing it to operate as an entertainment device.

I just hope RIM doesn't blow it this time.
    I agree 100%

I only require 3 must-have Android apps and they are business related: Dropbox, Mobisle Notes, and KeePassDroid. Tune-In and Shoutcast work fine in the browser, and Netflix sux (for the content I need). For me, I don't even need the Feb. release, developer release is working well enough to stay on.

If only RIM could market the PB better...
    nabatron likes this.
    12-09-11 10:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD