Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By BuzzStarField
  • 2 Post By Herve5
  • 1 Post By BBMak
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Ported Android vs Native Apps

Is there any way to tell if an app is ported from Android or native?
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by pbluv View Post
    By design, App World does not distinguish between the various platforms used to develop PlayBook apps. This means that there is no obvious way to determine whether an app is written using the Air SDK, NDK, Woebworks or the Android conversion tools. RIM considers all apps accepted into App World to be bona fide BlackBerry apps. There may be some clues in the screen shots or the description may imply which platform was used, but this is not always the case.
    Show off PlayBook's magnetometer! Just point and see What's up.
    Visit What's up Sky Map on Facebook.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thank you. I guess i should have added, does it matter?
    I guess I'm thinking that native apps would be better - built from the get go for BB whereas ported from Android might be more of an 'after thought' and therefore not so good. Or is that unfair?
    CrackBerry Genius

I truly believe the quality of an app depends entirely on the skill of the developer and her ability to select the platform that is suitable to the functional design of a particular application..Not every use case demands the power and extreme flexibility of the native development kit. I know of at least one Air app that has perfectly acceptable performance and would not benefit particularly from a re-write using NDK. If your main criteria for choosing an app is whether it is based on a particular platform, then you will no doubt be making some poor buying decisions. There are, after all, many poorly executed NDK apps just as there are a significant number of wonderful Android "ports".
    Show off PlayBook's magnetometer! Just point and see What's up.
    Visit What's up Sky Map on Facebook.
    Thanked by:
    pbluv (11-30-2012) 
    SifJar likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

As much as I love Cascades apps, the android player on BB10 is so much better than the one on the PlayBook that Android apps are running extremely well compared to before...
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by greatwiseone View Post
    As much as I love Cascades apps, the android player on BB10 is so much better than the one on the PlayBook that Android apps are running extremely well compared to before...
    Are you comparing the BB10 android player to the OS 2.1 or OS 2.0 android player, since there is a significant difference in the two?
    Thanked by:
    NoraMelua (12-01-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts

Default Re: Ported Android vs Native Apps

Great. Rim wanted that. For most people not to tell the difference. Task accomplished

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    MyHomeSpace.ca and MyCondoSpace.ca
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,667 Global Posts

Logically speaking, "Native Apps" should be better than "Ported Android" for simply reason i.e. they were specifically designed for PlaBook's OS platform... and "Ported Androids" were basically for Android platform... but as other said, there are "Ported Androids" that runs smoothly in PB's OS - just like "Native Apps", depends on how skillful the developers made them... not to mention too, there are "Ported Androids" that are more useful than "Native Apps"...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    456 Global Posts

Earlier versions of PB OS which had the old Single instance Android player had problems.. It used to crash a occasionally and only fix was a restart or forced memory kill..
    But since 2.1 I've hardly ever had any instability with the Player.. Well that is for atleast the apps I use..
    In theory it all depends on your needs.. If you need a feature and an android app has it then bettter go for it.. They obviously are not designed for PB so you have Android style menus and all but till they use the core Android SDK (atleast the apis that RIM is providing) and no native code they usually work fine..
    CrackBerry Addict

Android ported apps are definitely poorer that the others, would it be for their GUI alone, so yes it's worth thinking about it.

As mentioned there is no formal RIM annoucement in App world (otherwise this would be repulsive I presume) but you have at least three ways:

- there are hundreds of apps whose author is "Handster": these are android ports

- you can detect most android ports from the screencopies in App world. Many of them show the bottom android bar, some even are images coming from android phones, and for those that don't even have screen captures I would definitely recommend to avoid anyway. Also, read the comments: chances are you'll find a previous buyer mentioning an andro port

- last, you indeed can ask the author. There always is a link, and a reactive author is an excellent feature (that beats the android defaults IMHO). Conversely, no reaction means your app may be an abandoned fossil, whatever its nature.

And now that I've bashed android a bit, let's remind there are cases where having Android rather than native is a plus: for instance, for most apps that need to reach a file inside your PB to open it (e. g. photo processors, etc.), the simplest way for natives is to use the PB file picker, which is terrible (all your files presented flat). In such a case, an android app will propose you one or even various android pickers, allowing you to precisely select your folder, handle files properly etc. Such a behavior does exist in native apps, but definitely not in all!

H.
    F2 and BerryClever like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

My take is this - I prefer Native apps, my experience has been they run better than some Andriod ports and I do like the RIM UI in most cases better than the Android (with the exception of the file picker as mentioned above). Most Android ports run just fine on the new OS.
    Bottom line - the hardware becomes most useful when you can add apps that suit your needs. Many times there are not native apps that deliver the tools I need but Android does. I run nearly 1/2 and 1/2 and have very few problems with the Android ports. When there is an better native app I will use it every time, I will be happy to pay for a native app over a free Android app to support the devs. To and moan over ports is just silly. The bottom line is if you choose Play Book you are on the fringe and are going to have to make some compromises when it comes to app because we just don't have the native selection the other 2 big OS's do. I hope when BB10 arrives many of the missing apps in the line up will be available- I also hope I can run Andriod apps on my updated Playbook BB10 OS - because I am certain that there will still be gaps and if we can use Android apps to fill the gap then better than having a gap. Just my opinion.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Ported Android vs Native Apps

the only thing I've noticed most ports are displayed on appworld with the name and developer name.
    ex: AppName by dev name

but not all are like this, if I can remember well I haven't seen a native one that is displayed like that
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    456 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by osbook View Post
    the only thing I've noticed most ports are displayed on appworld with the name and developer name.
    ex: AppName by dev name

but not all are like this, if I can remember well I haven't seen a native one that is displayed like that
    Those are android apps of a developer distributed by another distributor.. I think they are by Handster..

You have to look at the screenshot, name, reviews, and maybe do a Google app store search to find out if it's ported.. Though some might still be genuine source code ports..
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

I think you can very easily tell the difference from the screen shots..
    Thanks,
    Sriman
    Meeting Minutes Pro - Become a Pro at attending, organizing, tracking, manging and distributing meetings
    Meeting Minutes - A 3 day trial version of Meeting Minutes Pro
    www.srimanapps.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Usually because it sucks
    Ain't no rocket scientists in the fire hall
    9500 > 9550 > 9800 > 9810 > 9900

32g Playbook + 16g Playbook + 64g Playbook
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2AE0379B

I think some android apps work great on my PB (tapatalk, taptu, canabalt...) My only problem with the android player is the browser. i wish you could just launch the pb browser directly when you click a link on an android port.
    BB Q10 / BB Z10 / BB P'9981 / BB Playbook
    osbook likes this.