So, this spawned off of the idea of making a text adventure. While a text adventure is possible, I find that it doesn't take advantage of what the olaybook has to offer, and can be clunky.

I will be creating all of the graphics as pixel art.

I am going to make it a puzzle oriented game, somewhat like the professor layton series for ds.

That being said. This is probably going to take me some time to complete. However: I need your help!

I am currently in the planning stage and would be welcome to suggestions on: overall theme, types of puzzles, length of game, storyline, etc.

Also, I would like to include puzzles (and perhaps characters) of community members.

As said, this will be quite an undertaking, I am looking for feedback on if this would be a worthwhile cause, and if its something people would actually play.

Thank you.
    02-09-12 08:00 PM
    id play the mess out of this. i loved machinarium, is that along similiar lines?
    02-09-12 08:22 PM
    You got it.
    02-09-12 08:26 PM
    I love this idea
    02-09-12 08:54 PM
    I would definitely play it. I enjoy puzzle/adventure games of all sorts.

Some puzzle types I'd personally like to see in a game:
    -Cryptic crossword style word puzzles, though it's quite possible they'd turn a lot of people off.
    -The kind of logic puzzles Raymond Smullyan created in books like The Lady And The Tiger, again they may not have mass appeal
    -Puzzles like Japanese Flash developer ONs GROW series, for example GROW Cube: GROW CUBE(GAME) (EYEZMAZE --FLASH GAME--)

Also, I have to admit I'm just a tiny bit disappointed you're not doing a text game, although I understand why you wouldn't. I was curious about whether you'd use a text parser. That would be fun.
    02-09-12 09:44 PM
    I yearn for a text game too. Will likely do both.
    zethaaron likes this.
    02-09-12 09:49 PM
    As said, this will be quite an undertaking, I am looking for feedback on if this would be a worthwhile cause, and if its something people would actually play.
    Are you kidding me? I'd be all over that in a heartbeat! I love the Professor Layton series and have been wishing for something similar for the PB. Go for it!
    02-09-12 10:00 PM
    If you've ever played "Deja Vu" for the original NES, that's the type of game I'm looking for. A mystery/puzzle game with a noir-detective style story. This sounds like a great idea, any way you take it, though. I'll be there.
    02-09-12 11:59 PM
    Sounds like a cool idea. Are you thinking along the lines of the old Sierra PC games from the early 90's?
    02-10-12 12:19 AM
    I'm in! I like a mix of puzzles (though Hidden Room makes me crazy!) Never enough word puzzles imho.

Off-the-wall recommendation: Check out the minigames and puzzles in the Nancy Drew series by Her Interactive. Emulate some of that, and Hidden Object games, and you'll widen your audience.
    02-10-12 01:51 AM
    My daughter uses something simular for itouch its game where she places basic puzzle pieces and once all in place the image comes alive as a reward another is game where she has to make sound using microphone which show on bar red to high and blue to low but green is great once letter is heard the game allow her to play mini game as reward all great games I love to see on playbook.

P.S I did email all the company's making those game for itouch refused stating playbook is limited market

Raff
    02-10-12 06:15 AM
    So, this spawned off of the idea of making a text adventure. While a text adventure is possible, I find that it doesn't take advantage of what the olaybook has to offer, and can be clunky.

I will be creating all of the graphics as pixel art.

I am going to make it a puzzle oriented game, somewhat like the professor layton series for ds.

That being said. This is probably going to take me some time to complete. However: I need your help!

I am currently in the planning stage and would be welcome to suggestions on: overall theme, types of puzzles, length of game, storyline, etc.

Also, I would like to include puzzles (and perhaps characters) of community members.

Thank you.
    This is the type of developer's I prefer!
    The ones on CrackBerry that share their idea's to make it as perfect as possible!
    I will help you with as much as I can!
    KermEd likes this.
    02-10-12 07:45 AM
    I love this idea! one of my favourite point and click adventures is The Longest Journey, and my favourite setting in a point and click adventure is the one from Syberia, i know that something among the lines of these two games will be kinda difficult for a single developer but maybe they can help you for inspiration, my advise would be to write a compelling story first and then to try to acomodate the puzzles from within that story.
    02-10-12 11:39 AM
    Have you ever tried any Big Fish Games? They have a lot of point and click games on their website which you might find useful for inspiration. They have free trials available for most games, and some good ones to download. They have a good series called Mystery Case Files which are good point and click puzzles.
    02-10-12 02:48 PM
    Oh Oh! Haha, I had posted something a while back about bringing a poin-and-click adventure to the playbook. Its a great place for games like that to live, making them even more simple to play considering you dont even need a mouse, just tap the screen!
    I was a huge fan of the Myst series, and was so sad when the online version never took off I agree with what Panasama said about writing a compelling story first, then work the puzzles around it. Adventure games are all about the story, the puzzles are there to make you feel like you're a part of it. My fav's have always been Myst 1-5, The Longest Journey, and all the Zork games. I hope this gives you a good place to start, and if you need any help with the writing, let me know.
    02-11-12 07:19 AM
    WOOT ... im more of a Myst kinda player over a text game but i think it would be a great addition to the PB. if you need Beta players im your man. I hope this doesnt eat into your time with Atomic and the SNES emulator :P LOL
    02-11-12 08:27 AM
    It's not exactly the type of game your wanting to design, but I'm very sure if you could (or anyone here) could pull it off. A game like Limbo http://limbogame.org/ or even a similar app to Immortall (already in the App World), but it'll have to be longer then that one.
    I enjoy both Machinarium, and these types of games. Except I think the Playbook is in need of a type of game like this, or atleast I kmow I am.

Anyways, more on topic... if done right, yeah I think people will buy it. Although it'll have to be done right, and not one of those things your going to do, just to do. As for a theme... Any theme will do fine, but it has to have a good design and story.
    As for characters, well you might wanna have: a comical (especially if the story is dark and grim) need someone to bring you back to life, dork of some type (we all see them in real life), a badazz (can't go without one of those), weirdo/psycho (because we want one), Saint+Villein (can't have a game without either or), and so on. That's how I define a good game character set...

Anyways, I know one man probably won't make the next big thing since Mario/Angry Birds or MW3 anytime soon, but I hope it suprises me.
    P.S. If you really would care for a character idea and what not, I have 1 in mind... but yeah. Let me and stuff...
    Last edited by Venichie; 02-11-12 at 07:47 PM.
    02-11-12 07:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD