The controls are a mess at the moment, but I wanted the program out as soon as possible, this way maybe I could lend some "steam" to the adoption of the PlayBook. Blackberry was nice enough to send me a free one for the development, so this was the least I could do.

My goal is to make this game perfectly playable, as I want to play it too. I will work on the controls and the external wad loading in the next few days, we'll see how it turns out.

Five weapons are in the game, as it's only the shareware version. The game content from the full version, with all the weapons, is still not free. I will try to make it possible to sideload and use the full game's data files, if you have them.
    that makes sense now you day it about some of the stuff being full game only, just a little gutting because i walked over the chainsaw but didnt pick it up

anyways i had a little think while playing it and i mocked up a better look for the controls than my last image.
    05-21-11 03:01 PM
    Hey ChillyCode,

Great idea to port Doom to the PlayBook!

Seeing as it's GPL, will you be making the source code available online anywhere? I bet there are a stack of people who'd happily contribute.
    05-21-11 03:33 PM
    wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.......wait wait wait wait... wait. we have doom, squeee! i will download as soon as i get into wifi. things are getting better! i don't care if its glitchy and i don't have it, its just awsome news! love you chillycode <3

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by drethos; 05-22-11 at 07:30 AM.
    05-21-11 04:47 PM
    Thanks to all including ChillyCode. This is great....
    05-21-11 07:17 PM
    Thanks ChillyCode!!! Love the app!

My save game function does not work. I assume that everyone has has the same issue?

Has anyone else got the level jump cheat code to work (idclev##)??
    05-22-11 09:06 AM
    Thanks ChillyCode!!! Love the app!

My save game function does not work. I assume that everyone has has the same issue?

Has anyone else got the level jump cheat code to work (idclev##)??
    Nevermind - just figured out the level jump.

To go to the third map, type idclev13, meaning level 1 map 3
    05-22-11 09:13 AM
    A dual-core 1ghz processor, GPU unit and a 1024x600 resolution screen all to play Doom. Heh. Doom's awesome though. I hope a Doom2 version is coming; the Super Shotgun was my all-time favourite weapon.
    05-22-11 05:37 PM
    just got to play controls are a bit wonky. should make it that if you hold down on the control are it moves forward and if you swipe down it moves backward. none the less still very cool to play, plus free. it reminds me of playing doom when i was younger thank you chilly <3 u!
    you really gave us a little nibble of the power this has. i mean compared to my old 128mhz biege beast i was given when i was 6 :P. very cool that should be a playbook staple. 2D awsomeness ftw!
    Last edited by drethos; 05-22-11 at 07:42 PM.
    05-22-11 07:40 PM
    awesome game and port works fine. About controls, i like BBTheme sample screen. I would make the control like that and have it activate on hover, so as long as finger is on the up arrow key, the character moves forward.
    05-24-11 02:58 AM
    Great app, thanks a lot Chilli. Hope the controls are fixed, but until then I'll keep on playing! Great work and can't wait for Hexen to hi BB App world.

Cheers!
    05-24-11 07:40 AM
    Amazing! Enuf said. Thanks Chilly!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-11 08:37 AM
    Sorry for the late answer, I had a lot of things to do.

BBThemes: Thanks for the mockups! I've tried several different configurations and haven't found the best one yet, at the moment I've made some refinements to the original version, but I'll keep on iterating about this and will consider/try your ideas.

cas118: I'll definitely release the source code as it is one of the main points of GPL. Currently I devote all my free time to actually develop the app, but I intend to tidy up the code after I'm more or less satisfied with it and put it on a webpage or git.

cocothehouseboy: The save game function currently only saves your game as long as you don't exit the app completely. It's not that big deal as long as only the shareware episode is playable, but I have to fix it if I want to make the full game playable .

I've sent a new version yesterday to Rim for approval, it fixes some small problems with the controls (as the originally released version was part broken because some last time changes I made, but not tested).

To all the people who said thanks: I'm very happy you liked it!
    05-24-11 08:15 PM
    update is out for the game, runs better now
    05-26-11 12:43 PM
    you did a great job ChillyCode...Is there an issue with saving game progress? or is it just me?

I hit esc to save saved the game and closed it via blackberry close option and went back in and the save game was gone...known issue or issue between the PB and my chair?
    05-26-11 02:47 PM
    Man i used to get motion sickness playing this game in my keyboarding class. I definitely can't wait to get my PB now!!!
    05-27-11 10:44 AM
    You can play Doom on the Playbook via HDMI on your TV/Monitor using a paired Bluetooth keyboard I just tried it. Talk about a PC blast from the past. It actually brought back some memories. Pretty cool retro flashback I caught myself playing it for about 20 minutes or so when I had to remember I was actually playing it on the Playbook and not a PC.
    05-27-11 02:18 PM
    ChillyCode, you're my hero! Any idea when we might see a version that lets you load your own WAD files, or maybe lets you save your game across restarts?

If you need someone to beta test, just let me know!
    06-01-11 01:34 PM
    Might be nice to try the dual analog stick controls like a lot of games use, one of straife/forward back, one for turning. Then you just need buttons for firing and open.
    06-01-11 01:35 PM
    the doom game is really nice, reminds me of the good old days. can anyone please tell me how to open doors or move past level 1?
    07-18-11 11:45 PM
    Plus one lol. I just walk around picking up armor and health, but I can't get anywhere. Is there a way to jump up?
    07-19-11 07:02 AM
    the doom game is really nice, reminds me of the good old days. can anyone please tell me how to open doors or move past level 1?
    There is a button labeled "Open" for opening doors.. DOH!
    07-19-11 07:12 AM
    Has ayone managed to sideload a wad yet for the full game? Or any info? TY
    11-27-11 12:16 AM
    I played the demo levels till the end. I used the USB cable and the Blackberry Desktop Software to load the playbook with a new WAD, as per the instructions given in the "help" section of the game.

The file name is case sensitive. Make sure that the name and the extension are lower case.

Unfortunately my wad file was Plutonia, from the "Final Doom" package. And this one did not work. It loaded the "plutonia experience" splash screen, showed the buttons, but nothing else. This package also had the "TNT" wad file. These were nice wads.

I have the Doom2 wads somethere in a box. Gotta find them.

Congratulations to ChillyCode for this port! The latest version of the game plays very nicely. No crashes. Once you get used to the controls, the game becomes fun to play. I like the rowing action to move the character back and forth. Perhaps I'll raise the level next time. The save game feature now works fine.
    01-02-12 11:14 PM
    If anyone needs a doom wad and wants to get it through proper channels, doom can be purchased through steam rather cheaply. Carmack himself advocated using the data files of the steam version for ports.
    01-04-12 10:08 PM
    does anyone know how to jump up or out windows in playdoom?
    01-08-12 11:57 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD