Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By buckwylder
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Playbook as second monitor? Like iDisplay for the Ipad

I would like to hook up my Playbook as a second monitor for my laptop with the ability to drag windows across the two screens. I know this software exist for droids and ipads via iDisplay by Shape Services.

Does the Playbook have a similar type software?
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    27EE1588

that would be cool, i would also like to use it as a display, but on a ps3! lol, hmmm
    -------------------------------------
    why did my signature disappear?
    thatplaybookguy likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I really, really, really want this. It would be incredibly useful in the meetings I'm often in with my laptop and PlayBook, where I want to show someone what I'm looking in and can then quickly do so by dragging the browser from the laptop's screen to the PlayBook's.
    CrackBerry User

idispaly 2.1 from android crashes when converted to a .bar
    CrackBerry User

No more update ? Or alternative software ?
    CrackBerry Addict

Shape services have few native apps in PB like IM+ and RDM+, so I will check with them to see the availability of iDisplay on PB any soon? Let's see what we hear. In any cases you can raise this to them also. More interest, better it is.
    Thanked by 2:
    darktoy (05-05-2012),  Jlodon2012 (03-02-2012) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Any news on iDisplay porting on to PB?

Cheers
    CrackBerry Abuser

Probably not the exact same but similar. And you'll have to wait for it

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...mation-721788/
    CrackBerry Abuser

Ok... i found something that worked. If you have an android tablet you've probably messed around with Air Display. It works on the PlayBook as well and lets you use your playbook as another monitor. it's a little flakey (on regular android devices, not just the playbook), but it works well enough. I travel a lot, and my laptop monitor sucks for coding, so having a second monitor (however small) is nice.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rdisplay&hl=en

oh yeah, you'll have to convert it to a bar file... and no it's not free... it's $5 on google play.
    Last edited by gord888; 07-18-2012 at 11:21 PM.
    Thanked by:
    NinjaBread (07-19-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

After reading this, I thought about using the already existing VNC clients to do this and it seems that it may be possible.

A quicksearch yielded this: [ubuntu] Use VNC as a second monitor - Ubuntu Forums

There, two methods are mentioned for linux. I'll give it a go when I get home today.

This looks awesome too: http://synergy-foss.org/
    There is an android port for it. Let's see if it works.
    Last edited by AceRoom; 07-18-2012 at 11:53 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by gord888 View Post
    Ok... i found something that worked. If you have an android tablet you've probably messed around with Air Display. It works on the PlayBook as well and lets you use your playbook as another monitor. it's a little flakey (on regular android devices, not just the playbook), but it works well enough. I travel a lot, and my laptop monitor sucks for coding, so having a second monitor (however small) is nice.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rdisplay&hl=en

oh yeah, you'll have to convert it to a bar file... and no it's not free... it's $5 on google play.
    Brilliant! Just what I was looking for, this works perfectly for me.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I'm new to this lark so please be patient - how do you convert it to a bar file? Is it just a matter of renaming it with the .bar extension?
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by cjterminator View Post
    Shape services have few native apps in PB like IM+ and RDM+, so I will check with them to see the availability of iDisplay on PB any soon? Let's see what we hear. In any cases you can raise this to them also. More interest, better it is.
    Pretty sure those aren't native apps. They are converted Android apps. Being in App World =/= native app.
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelIJ View Post
    I'm new to this lark so please be patient - how do you convert it to a bar file? Is it just a matter of renaming it with the .bar extension?
    No. (This is, sadly, a common misconception when it comes to converting files). The extension of a file is largely meaningless, what actually matters is the contents of the file. The extension just makes identifying it easy. Easiest way to convert APK to BAR is using this website: PlayBook .apk to .bar converter

Once converted, you'll have to "sideload" it; google "sideload playbook bar" and you should find a guide.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelIJ View Post
    The bar file can be downloaded here- http://apk2bar.unker.net/bar/74/a9/7...1.1.3378.0.bar You'll also need the server to run on your PC, which you can get here- Download Air Display software for Windows That being said, the app works, but not particuarly well. If you simply want to mirror your desktop, Splashtop, in app world, works much better.
    Thanked by:
    koxmoz (02-19-2013) 
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by pacoman03 View Post
    The bar file can be downloaded here- [link removed] You'll also need the server to run on your PC, which you can get here- Download Air Display software for Windows That being said, the app works, but not particuarly well. If you simply want to mirror your desktop, Splashtop, in app world, works much better.
    Bear in mind that this is a paid app, and as such downloading it is piracy. At the very least, I would urge you to pay for the app on the Google Play store if possible. (I realise that this would require you to have an Android device to make the purchase on). If you can't do this, I would ask you to consider not downloading the app, as you have no right to it.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.