I am considering purchasing a playbook for my business.
    What I am primarily concerned with is how well it can remote desktop back to my desktop pc.
    Up till this point I have been using the remote desktop connection on my laptop and would like to ditch the clunky laptop
    For a more sleek and portably device.

Are there programs to acclomplish what I'm trying to do.

Has anyone had any experience doing this? If so what are your thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-11 11:21 AM
    Don't bother with the PB if your sole requirement is to RDP to your main PC...
    08-16-11 11:48 AM
    Definetely get an iPad if remote desktop is important to you.

First of all, when doing remote desktop, you want a big screen. On a 7" screen, there's simply too much panning and zooming to do any practical work.

Secondly, the apps. I have GotomyPC to access my work account and Splashtop to access my home machines. There's also a number of professional grade RDP and VNC apps to choose from.

Splashtop has a feature that blew me away, because I had no idea RDP type programs could do it. I could actually watch a video running on the PC with decent Youtube-like quality over the wifi connection.
    08-16-11 11:53 AM
    Logmein works quite well, but there are also apps, just search VNC, and they should pop up in app world.
    08-16-11 11:56 AM
    Asus Transformer + Xtralogic Remote Desktop.
    Nothing beats it.

The tablet turns in to a full desktop when you use the dock. You can even use the docks mouse, left and right click buttons seamlessly.
    The internal Android SD card even automagically appears mounted in Windows! So you can drag and drop files in explorer and they appear on your tablet even though you're working on a remote desktop.
    08-16-11 12:05 PM
    Logmein works quite well, but there are also apps, just search VNC, and they should pop up in app world.
    VNC works, but having to install VNC server on your machines is a no-go in most enterprises.

To the OP, no native or 3rd party RDP clients currently exists for PB, so if that is a primary requirement, you need to look into alternatives to the Playbook.
    08-16-11 12:08 PM
    I am considering purchasing a playbook for my business.
    What I am primarily concerned with is how well it can remote desktop back to my desktop pc.
    Up till this point I have been using the remote desktop connection on my laptop and would like to ditch the clunky laptop
    For a more sleek and portably device.

Are there programs to acclomplish what I'm trying to do.

Has anyone had any experience doing this? If so what are your thoughts?

This works fantastic: http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...aybook-635317/
    diegonei likes this.
    08-16-11 12:41 PM
    RDM+ for Playbook is way better than any iPad RDP app for sure!

diegonei likes this.
    08-16-11 04:54 PM
    RDM+ for Playbook is way better than any iPad RDP app for sure!

IN what way exactly?
    08-16-11 04:57 PM
    I have been using RDM+ and it works perfectly even when tethering from my 9810.
    08-16-11 09:41 PM
    IN what way exactly?
    Simple. It's running on a PB and not an iPad.

To the OP, make sure you check out all options if remote access is important. Some users have specific needs that one remote app may not cover so you may have to use to different apps depending on your needs. Sadly, app world is still sparse on apps so I would definitely check out other avenues.

That said, I am quite satisfied with my remote experience using the currently available options for PB.
    08-16-11 11:30 PM
    I'm on the same quest.

Having my own small business with security being a high priority, can I be pretty confident that RDM+ is as secure as, well, things I've come to rely on like my BB device and GoToMyPC?

If other options besides RDM+ are worth recommending, please recommend away.

Or, if you agree RDM+ is best, please weigh in.

Thanks!
    08-16-11 11:45 PM
    In my opinion rdm+ kind of let me down, it seems to run slow in comparison to vnc. Personally i am using avnc and it works flawlessly, there is also imt vnc which works great (better than rdm+ in my opinion). both of these require software to be installed on the pc. the 2nd method i use occasionally is rdp enterprise on the android app player which works flawlessly as well. this method uses the windows rdp so no software is required to be installed.
    08-17-11 01:23 AM
    There is 1 developer that I know of, who has an RDP app for the BlackBerry smartphone, working on an actual RDP app for the PlayBook. I'm sure some info will be posted when it's ready, but it may be a few weeks.
    08-17-11 05:08 AM
    First...thanks to all for the great info..

Up till now I have used the windows rdp to login to my desktop to access my Computer as if I was sitting at my desk.
    Use outlook, open pdf docs, office docs. Etc. Work stuff!

One thing does concern me and that would be the screen size. One of the most important things is being able to properly use my inventory application (its a basic dos like program) but it does require the use of the arrow keys as well as the F keys.

I figured I could get a bluetooth keyboard and that would limit the amount of use of the on screen keyboard.

I know this is a lot to ask, but if anyone could record a short vid of any rd app for the playbook, I would be very appreciative.

jjaammzz likes this.
    08-17-11 08:27 AM
    I use aVNC everyday. There are some things I would hope they could improve, but its the program itself and not the Playbook. The crisp bright display of the Playbook makes it easy to work with, unlike the larger bland displays of the Ipad, Xoom etc.
    08-17-11 08:46 AM
    Install android player on your playbook, RDP and citrix a working good on it..! I'll try to record a little video in afternoon if u wish.
    Last edited by Drashak; 08-17-11 at 09:33 AM.
    08-17-11 09:20 AM
    I use aVNC everyday. There are some things I would hope they could improve, but its the program itself and not the Playbook. The crisp bright display of the Playbook makes it easy to work with, unlike the larger bland displays of the Ipad, Xoom etc.
    Screen size is a far bigger factor for usability than any marginal differences there may be on the "crispness" of the display. Pay attention the next time you do a remote desktop session on a 7" display, how much panning and zooming you have to do compared to actual work.
    08-17-11 09:55 AM
    First...thanks to all for the great info..

Up till now I have used the windows rdp to login to my desktop to access my Computer as if I was sitting at my desk.
    Use outlook, open pdf docs, office docs. Etc. Work stuff!
    I figured I could get a bluetooth keyboard and that would limit the amount of use of the on screen keyboard.
    Keep in mind that all the current options require you to install/run a server piece on your desktop...including RDM+ and logmein
    08-17-11 10:31 AM
    Screen size is a far bigger factor for usability than any marginal differences there may be on the "crispness" of the display. Pay attention the next time you do a remote desktop session on a 7" display, how much panning and zooming you have to do compared to actual work.
    Point taken. Now let's focus on how the apps perform.

No point having a huge screen if the app is a load of #$ap.
    08-17-11 10:38 AM
    So this is a little video of Remote RDP Entreprise on the android player. Sorry for the poor quality but this is the best i can do with what i have

I don't have any issue with 7'' screen and don't see the need of bigger one..!

Last edited by Drashak; 08-17-11 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Broken link
    djdrastic and diegonei like this.
    08-17-11 09:09 PM
    So this is a little video of Remote RDP Entreprise on the android player. Sorry for the poor quality but this is the best i can do with what i have

Many thanks!

Can somebody with the recently released app for the PlayBook shoot a video and post here for comparison? And somebody with an Android tabled and the same app?

I'd expect the Playbook to have worse performance than a native Android, no?
    08-17-11 10:46 PM

You are the freaking man.
    How does the keyboard work in RDP and can you use at BT keyboard in the player ?
    08-18-11 01:01 AM
    Many thanks!

Can somebody with the recently released app for the PlayBook shoot a video and post here for comparison? And somebody with an Android tabled and the same app?

I'd expect the Playbook to have worse performance than a native Android, no?

Actually the performance was really good, it is more connectivity issue if you have some lag, but remember that the android player is still experimental, full version is suppose to be release somewhere this summer i think, and with the ndk comming we'll probably see some native rdp apps appear too...

You are the freaking man.
    How does the keyboard work in RDP and can you use at BT keyboard in the player ?
    You can make the android keyboard appear if you need it, you can't probably see it but there's an icon on the bottom right for the keyboard of the tablet. I don't think bluetooth keyboard will work on it since you'r not using the playbook kb neither but i don't have any to try unfortunatly.

Attachment 91705
    Attachment 91706
    08-18-11 09:22 AM
    Definetely get an iPad if remote desktop is important to you.
    I must second this. Far better selection of apps and even navigation, just with Shape's RDM for iPad. I use my PB to remote back to my Mac Mini and Acer Aspire One, both work but slower, harder and more frustrating than iPad. The iPad cannot fit in my pocket though.

Not sure if anyone is interested but I have got online desktops like Goya and eyeOS to work on the Playbook. These are ideal for just wanting to swap files around, I log in from a computer, upload some stuff, and go back and check it out with PB whenever.
    08-18-11 11:46 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD