File Manager from Acarus Mobile Software is now available in App World. It's a little pricey at $4.99, but if you've been waiting for a functioning file manager on the PlayBook, I think it's worth it. Very nice app with an interesting approach to navigation that should be really useful for manipulating files. Unfortunately, it does not access files on a bridged phone. Hopefully that can be added.

I don't know how to post a link to an app, but just do a search for 'file manager' in App World, and it should come up first.
    05-18-11 04:59 PM
    Just downloaded it. Pretty nice on first look.
    05-18-11 05:37 PM
    This should be standard. I'll save my money in hopes that RIM will realize it too.
    05-18-11 05:41 PM
    There is a file browser for $.99 on App World
    It does allow you to browse files on a bridged BB
    05-18-11 06:52 PM
    if you are talking about 'File Browser' then yeah its decent. Apparently according to a tweet from the team, copy/past and folder management is coming next week. Since I already paid for this app, im gonna wait it out - only a week.
    05-18-11 07:31 PM
    if you are talking about 'File Browser' then yeah its decent. Apparently according to a tweet from the team, copy/past and folder management is coming next week. Since I already paid for this app, im gonna wait it out - only a week.
    As soon as an app allows copy of files we can manage our bookmarks!!
    05-18-11 07:55 PM
    For $4.00 less I think I will stay with the one that I already paid for.

Being able rename bookmarks & put them in folders is what really need.

I have only had the $1.00 file manager since this morning but haven't played with it too much but so far I like it.

I look at it this way. I bought a file manager app for my Storm 1 and in an update soon after RIM included it. Hopefully the same happens with the playbook.

Although this $5.00 app appears to have pictures as folders like Windows does I want to see an app that has a folder tree like Windows Explorer has in the left frame. This app says that you can create folders which is nice and do not remember if I can do that with the other app.

If there was a free trial I would give it a whirl.
    05-18-11 08:22 PM
    For $4.00 less I think I will stay with the one that I already paid for.

Being able rename bookmarks & put them in folders is what really need.

I have only had the $1.00 file manager since this morning but haven't played with it too much but so far I like it.

I look at it this way. I bought a file manager app for my Storm 1 and in an update soon after RIM included it. Hopefully the same happens with the playbook.

Although this $5.00 app appears to have pictures as folders like Windows does I want to see an app that has a folder tree like Windows Explorer has in the left frame. This app says that you can create folders which is nice and do not remember if I can do that with the other app.

If there was a free trial I would give it a whirl.
    I agree, a folder tree view would be slick. I got the .99 file browser the other day too, and I was disappointed - you can't do anything with it. Of course that will change if they add file cut/copy/delete/etc, which I wasn't aware was coming. But the ui in File Manager is pretty cool.

I'm sure RIM will provide one eventually; but I've had a bug up my backside for such a utility (exactly why I do not know, I just did), and I saw this in app world and just couldn't help myself.
    05-18-11 08:39 PM
    As soon as an app allows copy of files we can manage our bookmarks!!
    Not quite sure what that means - bookmarks as in folder bookmarks or web browser bookmarks?
    05-18-11 09:30 PM
    Not quite sure what that means - bookmarks as in folder bookmarks or web browser bookmarks?
    Browser bookmarks. Browser bookmarks are stored in an sql database in one of the shared folders which you can edit to rename and reorder your bookmarks. I just dont currently have or know of a way to write the file back to its location.
    05-18-11 10:36 PM
    Call me a cheap***, but I'm not willing to pay for anything that I'm pretty sure RIM will throw out for free in due time. But I can understand why some people may not be willing to wait for this.
    05-18-11 10:44 PM
    Call me a cheap***, but I'm not willing to pay for anything that I'm pretty sure RIM will throw out for free in due time. But I can understand why some people may not be willing to wait for this.
    I agree. Ill tke a free one w. Ads if needed. There are handful of those on android market.
    05-18-11 11:03 PM
    I just purchased the $5 app. Just couldn't wait for the new OS. It seems pretty functional and for what I need it for - looking up stored documents works nice. Now to see a native dropbox!
    05-19-11 01:46 PM
    I just purchased the $5 app. Just couldn't wait for the new OS. It seems pretty functional and for what I need it for - looking up stored documents works nice. Now to see a native dropbox!
    all that you say.

Yes, RIM should include this. Yes, maybe they will someday. I need a File Manager today, not someday. This is worth $5, because it adds a great deal of functionality to my PB. I'll be adding a lot more data to it, now!
    05-19-11 01:54 PM
    Anybody able to find the Sample Video, music or photo files using this app?

I'd like to backup/copy this files and decide whether to keep them or not.
    05-19-11 02:57 PM
    Anybody able to find the Sample Video, music or photo files using this app?

I'd like to backup/copy this files and decide whether to keep them or not.
    I can see the sample video, havent tried to copy it. Cant see the sample wallpapers.
    05-19-11 04:02 PM
    Oh, Yeah! Way to go. Just got this and tried it out. Nice app. great functions (like everyone else, when the network support comes, it will REALLY be super), and I've now got a real file manager app. Thanks!
    05-19-11 08:55 PM
    I grabbed it too. So far I like it very much and have been organizing my files pretty easily. I could have waited for RIM to add this feature, but I wanted to support the developer that gave it to us now!!!
    05-19-11 09:43 PM
    Holding back until I here that it does EVERYTHING a normal file manager can do. Can you make folders and put your files in them like on your BB or on a PC (with a mixture of content if you want), or are you still limited by the PB file structure?

If all your photos, movies and PDFs have to stay in the way the PB architecture dictates then I may give this a miss.
    05-20-11 05:45 AM
    Under the existing main folders you can have subfolders. (I.e. Documents/misc, Photos/summer vacation, etc. I have many such folders and it works just fine.
    05-20-11 07:01 AM
    Holding back until I here that it does EVERYTHING a normal file manager can do. Can you make folders and put your files in them like on your BB or on a PC (with a mixture of content if you want), or are you still limited by the PB file structure?

If all your photos, movies and PDFs have to stay in the way the PB architecture dictates then I may give this a miss.

I've created new folders, cut, copied and pasted files...all seems to work great. The only thing I can't do (yet) is rename folders or files, unless I'm missing something.
    05-20-11 08:45 AM
    The only thing I can't do (yet) is rename folders or files, unless I'm missing something.
    You can rename files and folders by highlighting them (by either having shift or control on) and tapping info. The name can be changed by editing the text box on the top of that info window. You cannot rename the top level folders.. eg, anything at the 'Playbook Home' level.
    05-20-11 02:41 PM
    just downloaded...works well.... $4.99 well spent.
    05-21-11 06:59 AM
    Sounds good, I'll give it a go.
    05-21-11 08:22 AM
    There's a free one

AIR BROWSER
    Last edited by EdS817; 05-21-11 at 09:14 AM.
    05-21-11 09:11 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD