Hi, I,m a newie, so plesae apologize any mistakes.
    I have a playbook with latest updates and try to use book reader app.
    I have copied my DRM-free epubs to \books folder. If I then want to open them via file explorer (out of book reader app) I am asked for the book import confirmation, but after that I receive an �unknown network error� with the message �couldn�t read a file:// file�. Can you tell me, what the problem is?
    If I use a different ebook reader (SVIT) everything works fine.
    07-28-11 02:32 AM
    Correct
    So far the app developers do not have the ability to get their app to be the default program to open a file in a file manager app

You must go to the app, as you say, to open it.
    07-28-11 08:18 AM
    maybe I used the wrong words: it happens when I use the book reader own file manager....or is there another way to import books?
    07-28-11 04:02 PM
    maybe I used the wrong words: it happens when I use the book reader own file manager....or is there another way to import books?
    Import, yes.
    Perhaps your observation is due to SVIT being less functional for import than ePub Reader. Neither is perfect for import. For that reason I use both readers.

As far as your general question about importing:
    (1) The E-Reader apps have their own download function to obtain books from Project Guttenberg and others.
    These books are loaded into either the 'download' folder or 'documents'. It does not matter, the E-Reader scans and will allow the installation of the book. Each reader is slightly different; some ask which books you want to put into your book 'library'

(2) You can download a non-protected book from any on-line source onto your PC or make an ePub from PDF book using Calibre.
    Connect the PB to your PC and copy the book to either the download or document folder. (I believe that other folders also work). Then, as in (1).
    (Books from public libraries do not currently load due to their 'protection').

It is pretty easy. A problem is the on-line free book sites have too many books available, like a cookie jar.
    I will never READ all that stuff!
    Last edited by mandony; 07-28-11 at 10:15 PM.
    07-28-11 10:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD