I'm brand new to app development. And I mean that to the point of I'm learning as I go. I want to build an app for personal use, keeping track of hours worked and money made/spent, with an option to enter the time after the fact(not one where I have to punch in/out at the exact times). There's a lot of apps similar on the app world, but nothing that fits my exact needs. Plus, I'd like to learn anyways. My question is this: what should I focus on learning in order to make an app for the playbook? The site lists different ways and I'm looking for the easiest way that works well. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
    04-09-12 02:15 PM
    Hi there.

I would focus on HTML5 as your language of choice. It's the quickest language to get proficient in, there are zero costs, and it provides the quickest "work put in to enjoyment gotten out of" value.
    KermEd likes this.
    04-09-12 02:21 PM
    look https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/html5/api

This was also asked as an idea in my post: http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...t-toys-714674/

so I may work on it later, if you are openning to sharing your ideas feel free to send me a DM and I may work on it.
    04-09-12 02:24 PM
    In one word, WebWorks.
    04-10-12 04:41 AM
    I'd go with HTML5. But I'd probably go one step farther and add a PHP webserver into the mix.

That way, you can access it through a web-browser from your PC, iPhone, iPad, Android, PlayBook, etc. Easier I find.

The PHP takes about 1 day to research, install everything, prepare the database. And adds about 1 day to development. With a 1 day development for the GUI and testing - you should have a working app up and running in 3 days if you are semi-comfortable with those terms.

If you are doing everything brand new (including learning basic logic programming from a generalized point of view) you may need 5-10 days depending.

You could create this as an AIR app in about 3 hours + testing if you are AS3 savey. But I dont like the idea of sticking to only one access point and no method to export the data.

Ed.
    04-10-12 01:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD