Watch out for another exciting promotion this weekend on Smart Office 2...
    Are you guys coming out with a print (toa physical printer) feature for the PlayBook?

Thanks
    06-08-12 08:01 AM
    I did a quick search, but did not find this issue addressed. (I apologize if I am reposting a concern.)

Is there a way to have Smart Office 2 as the default Office app on a playbook? DocsToGo is rather useless as it does not connect to dropbox. I do not wish to open email attachments in DocsToGo, save them, only to reopen them in SO2 and save them to Dropbox.

Cheers.
    06-12-12 03:23 PM
    At this time we have no ability to change default apps for opening. We can hope.
    06-12-12 08:24 PM
    Great deals at 99 cents! Wish smartoffice can bring over the predictive keyboard....
    06-12-12 11:18 PM
    Just scored it for $0.99 yesterday. I'm looking forward to where this app will go. The holy grail of mobile document editing to me is opening a cloud storage doc (google doc), editting it, saving it, and have those changes reflected to the cloud. Docs2Go for android is the only app that I've ever seen that, and I use it on my playbook alot.
    All in all, great app!
    06-19-12 09:52 AM
    Have they fixed the incompatibility with the BT keyboards yet? I would love a native alternative to Docs2Go but I don't do document editing without my BT keyboard and mouse attached. Last I checked on the forums a couple of months ago there was no support for the KB so hopefully that has changed, or will change soon for me to buy it
    06-20-12 12:18 AM
    First, I should say this app is a welcome addition to Documents to Go (which is really quite excellent).

I bought SmartOffice as an alternative but was disappointed by:
    1. Ridiculous icons menu. I dislike icons which mean nothing until you memorize their meaning. Why not use words, which need little explanation?
    2. Lack of predictive text greatly hinders Smart Office's usefullness and causes me to use Documents to Go 99% of the time.

Needed Changes:
    1. Get rid of the cartoony icons and make it look like a business tool. Use words in the menue so that users can figure out how to use its functions.
    2. Implement predictive text keyboard.
    3. Use native PlayBook gestures like "swipe down from top" to bring up options like SAVE.

Overall: problematic for me. Glad I only paid 0.75$
    Last edited by coolrat33; 06-28-12 at 04:54 AM.
    Sergeant HCR likes this.
    06-21-12 01:35 AM
    First, I should say this app is a welcome addition to Documents to Go (which is really quite excellent).

I bought SmartOffice as an alternative but was disappointed by:
    1. Ridiculous icons menu. I dislike icons which mean nothing until you memorize their meaning. Why not use words, which need little explanation?
    2. Lack of predictive text greatly hinders Smart Office's usefullness and causes me to use Documents to Go 99% of the time.

Needed Changes:
    1. Get rid of the cartoony icons and make it look like a business tool. Use words in the menue so that users can figure out how to use its functions.
    2. Implement predictive text keyboard. 3. Use native PlayBook gestures like "swipe down from top" to bring up options like SAVE. Overall: problematic for me. Glad I only paid 0.75$
    The few productivity apps I've seen have horrible graphics for a user interface. GroovyNotes seems like a good app but the notebook look to it is aweful.

I just for SO2 for .99cents. Does anyone know if you can do a list view of your files in the built-in explorer?
    Last edited by Sergeant HCR; 06-21-12 at 01:00 PM.
    06-21-12 07:00 AM
    I'm confused!

First the good news... read it was on sale for $0.99 --- AppWorld was showing it as $9.99 so I hesitated... but on check out it was $0.99

So I was happy with that!

Then the menu is SO confusing as many have pointed out... Would it have hurt to put words next to the icons? I'm sure once people know what they mean it will be intuitive, but to a new user? CLUELESS!

Secondly, the gestures? OMG how is anyone supposed to figure out how to get to the menu/option bar?

First application I tried was spreadsheet... I like Excel... I figure it would work like Excel. I tap on a cell thinking I can start entering data. Nope! Formatting options appear.

For the life of me I have NO idea how to enter data in to the spreadsheet. Please help!!

So that's my biggest gripe (for now)... so if someone can please explain to me how I actually enter data in to a spreadsheet I can at least start to use it.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Lonnie
    07-03-12 11:19 PM
    I think I've figured it out! If you double tap on a cell you get the option to "replace with". You can then add your text in and hit ok. Less than intuitive I agree.
    07-04-12 01:28 AM
    I think I've figured it out! If you double tap on a cell you get the option to "replace with". You can then add your text in and hit ok. Less than intuitive I agree.
    There has to be a better way to do this!!
    07-04-12 11:51 AM
    Terrible android port. I only paid �1 for it but i was robbed.
    07-04-12 02:03 PM
    Hi,

I am very frustrated with this application since I bought it - for $10. I have been in contact with their Support but so far they have not been able to fix this problem.

The problem that I am experiencing is that the SmartOffice 2 app crashes everytime when I try to save a document (save or save as) unless (it seems) the document that I am editing is not in the Playbook's 'documents' folder.
    I think I found out what the origin of this problem is but I don't know how to fix it.

It seems like the app cannot see my 'documents' folder on my Playbook.
    When I go to the File Manager view in the app (I think they call it Visual Explorer) I have 4 options. One is My Documents, then Dropbox, Google docs, and File System. If I press My Documents it gets me to the same root screen (these same 4 options are available). It looks like the root of this Visual Explorer is the 'My Documents' link so when I press on it it comes back to the same view of the same 4 options. Basically there is no change when I press My Documents it just comes back to the same screen. I hope I explained this well.
    Furthermore and maybe even more problematic is the fact that if I press the ' File System' link it gets me as expected to the Playbook's filesystem and I can get to any of my subfolders there except the 'documents' folder, which when I press it it goes right back to the home screen of this Visual Explorer, where again I have the original 4 folders, My Documents, Dropbox, Google docs and File System.
    Because of this issue I cannot get to see the contents of the Playbook's documents folder from within the SmartOffice 2 app.
    It looks like there is a closed loop between the root location of the Visual Explorer and the My Documents and my Playbook's documents folder.
    I also could not find a way to change the location pointed to by the 'My Documents' folder. It would make sense to me if it was pointing to the documents folder of my playbook, but for some reason it doesn't work.

This is very frustrating for me as I really thought this could be a good app.

Has anybody else experience similar issues?

Picsel's technical team advised me to check the applicaotion's access to the ofile system which I did and the access is set to 'Allowed'. All my other apps that can browse and use the file system don't have such a problem - like Files Browser, Air Browser, Files and Folders, File Manager - they can all acess files in the documents folder of the Playbook.

Would anybody have any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Cos
    08-07-12 11:37 AM
    Hi,

I managed to find the origin of the problem (described above) on my own.
    The problem was that I had 5 big zip files in my Playbook's documents folder - total of approx 6.6 Gb. I removed those zip (archive) files and everything worked as expected.
    I think the Smart Office 2 app was trying to read the contents of the zip files when accessing the documents folder and it was failing at doing that and crashing.

After I removed these big zip file, I tested with a much smaller zip file (just a bunch of Excel files) at 2-3Mb and it worked. The zip file looked the same as a folder in the apps' File Explorer.

I would still ask the developer why the app crashes when big zip files exist in the documents folder.

Cheers.
    08-09-12 12:18 PM
    Nice detective work on the big zip files.
    08-09-12 11:17 PM
    The interface is annoying and I've given up using it completely.
    The icons mean nothing without some text underneath to say what they do.

And the Playbook's predictive keyboard doesn't work for me. Without a predictive keyboard, the app is useless. I just use Doc-to-Go. Nothing seems better.

Picsel should do a serious re-working of the interface.
    I tried Kingsoft Office for Android. The interface is much better and the app seemed well designed.
    09-07-12 10:04 PM
91 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD