Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 196
Like Tree29Likes
  1. Chinookman's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    188 Posts
    Global Posts
    233 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default PDF Reader?

    After searching the forums I did not find what I'm looking for. Looking for a PDF reader that will allow me to save my place where I stopped reading.

    The native Adobe reader displays the scroll bar at the bottom but after that have not figured out how to get it to display again.

    Anyway bookmarking my last reading place is the feature I'm really looking for.

    I tried one called qPDF but only got a black screen, even after a the three button reboot.

    Thanks.....
  2. godsend85's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    162 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    If you're fine with sideloading Repligo (android ported app)is the way to go.
    therealjoeblow likes this.
  3. hpulley's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    275 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    QPDF and the Notes (edit) version work great here. No bookmark feature I can see but you can jump to a page number easily by tapping the page number displayed when you scroll.

    I still prefer to read books as epubs when available in that format.
    Bold 9700(work), Playbook 32, Kobo Vox (for my kids mostly), iPhone4S (wife's)
  4. Chinookman's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    188 Posts
    Global Posts
    233 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

    Default

    I'll look into Repligo and yep did try qPDF but only got a black screen. The developer wrote that he was working on it and that was in Mar. So, I will just wait that one out and try again later.

    Thanks for the tips fellas......appreciate it and have a great week this coming Monday...... yaaaaeh........j/k I'm tired....
  5. murnende's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    165 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chinookman View Post
    The native Adobe reader displays the scroll bar at the bottom but after that have not figured out how to get it to display again.
    For what it's worth, swiping down from the top bezel brings up the scroll bar in the built in reader. Not that I'm defending the stinking pile of garbage that is the built in pdf reader. If you ever find a decent one, let me know.
  6. smweb's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    52 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    So far Repligo has worked wonders for me. It is a much better app than the native Adobe reader. You can give it a try.
    therealjoeblow and bitek like this.
  7. SporadicSoftwre's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default Pdf Reader

    Hello,
    We have released our app Pdf Reader to App World recently. It remembers the page for each document you load into it and handles both small and large documents with ease. Password protected PDFs will also work as expected. We are putting the final touches on our next update which will include search capabilities. Then we will begin work on adding bookmarks. Please contact us with questions or problems you encounter.

    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...08930/?lang=en

    Nic
    SporadicSoftware
    Last edited by SporadicSoftwre; 05-17-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Add link to App World
    Thanked by 3:
    Heavens1 (06-16-2012),  jmd.aKBar (04-15-2013),  Vorkosigan (05-18-2012) 
    jmd.aKBar likes this.
  8. robsteve's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,408 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SporadicSoftwre View Post
    Hello,
    We have released our app Pdf Reader to App World recently. It remembers the page for each document you load into it and handles both small and large documents with ease. Password protected PDFs will also work as expected. We are putting the final touches on our next update which will include search capabilities. Then we will begin work on adding bookmarks. Please contact us with questions or problems you encounter.

    Nic
    SporadicSoftware
    Is it a native PlayBook app or a ported Android App?

    Is there a search function in it?
  9. SporadicSoftwre's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    Is it a native PlayBook app or a ported Android App?

    Is there a search function in it?
    Search is coming in the next week (hopefully this week or early next). Pdf Reader is 100% native!

    Nic
  10. victorshikhman's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    159 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Hey Nic,

    I couldn't find Pdf Reader in my App World (through Playbook's native AppWorld). So, first I had to download a QR scanner, scan the barcode on the appworld website, then click on it, which directed into my native AppWorld... only to discover that my device settings don't support the Pdf Reader at this time. I don't know what settings they could possibly be. I have a run-of-the-mill Playbook updated to whatever the latest released OS version is (2.01?).

    Any ideas?
  11. SporadicSoftwre's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by victorshikhman View Post
    Hey Nic,

    I couldn't find Pdf Reader in my App World (through Playbook's native AppWorld). So, first I had to download a QR scanner, scan the barcode on the appworld website, then click on it, which directed into my native AppWorld... only to discover that my device settings don't support the Pdf Reader at this time. I don't know what settings they could possibly be. I have a run-of-the-mill Playbook updated to whatever the latest released OS version is (2.01?).

    Any ideas?
    In what country do you reside? Is that the exact message that is displayed?

    Nic
  12. velociraptor89's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    118 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SporadicSoftwre View Post
    In what country do you reside? Is that the exact message that is displayed?

    Nic
    Why does your app need to have some country restrictions?
  13. pacoman03's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,112 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    The PDF viewer that is bundled with the android app QuickOffice Pro (needs sideloading), upon opening a PDF file, will pick up on the page you were viewing the last time you opened the document. To open a PDF with QickOffice, you'll need Ghost Commander to navigate to and choose the file you want to open, then choose Quick PDF to open the file.
  14. gjoseph14's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SporadicSoftwre View Post
    In what country do you reside? Is that the exact message that is displayed?

    Nic
    Same here, unable to buy/download. See attachment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PDF Reader?-img_00000047.jpg  
  15. SporadicSoftwre's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gjoseph14 View Post
    Same here, unable to buy/download. See attachment.
    Two thoughts:

    1. Try the link with the language id: Buy Pdf Reader - Download Pdf Reader - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    2. We initially only had the app in countries that we felt were English speaking countries as the app is all in English. We have since been told that the user can see through App World that the app is in English and make the decision to purchase the app. So, we removed the country restrictions but we have to wait for the change to get approved by RIM and then pushed to App World. I apologize for this error.

    Also, we submitted v1.2.0 to App World for approval. This will bring searching capabilities to Pdf Reader.

    Thanks
    NIc
    Thanked by:
    PB_Owner (05-30-2012) 
  16. gjoseph14's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SporadicSoftwre View Post
    Two thoughts:

    1. Try the link with the language id: Buy Pdf Reader - Download Pdf Reader - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    2. We initially only had the app in countries that we felt were English speaking countries as the app is all in English. We have since been told that the user can see through App World that the app is in English and make the decision to purchase the app. So, we removed the country restrictions but we have to wait for the change to get approved by RIM and then pushed to App World. I apologize for this error.

    Also, we submitted v1.2.0 to App World for approval. This will bring searching capabilities to Pdf Reader.

    Thanks
    NIc
    I'll try again later I guess. I think one of the highest priority for me is the ability to see/use bookmarks.
  17. SporadicSoftwre's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default Pdf Reader v1.2 Now Available (now with Search)

    Just thought I would drop a note to let you know that Pdf Reader v1.2 is now live in App World. 1.2 brings the much requested search feature to Pdf Reader among some minor fixes and tweaks. We are now working on adding proper bookmark support. Also, PDF Reader should now be available in all countries that allow purchasing through App World. However, Pdf Reader is only available in English.


    Nic
    sporadicsoftware@gmail.com
    @sporadicsoftwre
    Thanked by:
    robtanz (05-21-2012) 
    fbloise and Vorkosigan like this.
  18. robtanz's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,047 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,048 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SporadicSoftwre View Post
    Just thought I would drop a note to let you know that Pdf Reader v1.2 is now live in App World. 1.2 brings the much requested search feature to Pdf Reader among some minor fixes and tweaks. We are now working on adding proper bookmark support. Also, PDF Reader should now be available in all countries that allow purchasing through App World. However, Pdf Reader is only available in English.


    Nic
    sporadicsoftware@gmail.com
    @sporadicsoftwre
    Thanks so much. Very nice app. It actually read and loads large files quickly!! Highly recommended

    Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
  19. smweb's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    52 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Will have a go at it, and provide you the feedback

    Downloaded, initial reaction:
    Would rate it as 3/5. Thanks to the developer for creating a native alternative to the half-decent Adobe reader.
    Pros
    1) Opens file fast
    2) Good interface
    3) Loads heavy file quite easily
    4) Remembers last read position
    5) Shows page number while dragging the page skip slider
    6) Page zooming (in/out) is smooth

    Cons
    1) Page turning is slow, takes about 3 seconds
    2) There's no indication whether a click/touch is registered (I like the "Maxthon" way of showing a colored mark when you touch the screen; even jjComics-viewer has good 3 buttons displayed on either side for page turning)
    3) Page scroll is slow
    4) Could not find an in page search funstion

    I have been using Repligo reader for quite some time by sideloading, and still would rate Repligo 4.5/5.
    Last edited by smweb; 05-21-2012 at 10:08 PM.
  20. SporadicSoftwre's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smweb View Post
    Will have a go at it, and provide you the feedback

    Downloaded, initial reaction:
    Would rate it as 3/5. Thanks to the developer for creating a native alternative to the half-decent Adobe reader.
    Pros
    1) Opens file fast
    2) Good interface
    3) Loads heavy file quite easily
    4) Remembers last read position
    5) Shows page number while dragging the page skip slider
    6) Page zooming (in/out) is smooth

    Cons
    1) Page turning is slow, takes about 3 seconds
    2) There's no indication whether a click/touch is registered (I like the "Maxthon" way of showing a colored mark when you touch the screen; even jjComics-viewer has good 3 buttons displayed on either side for page turning)
    3) Page scroll is slow
    4) Could not find an in page search funstion

    I have been using Repligo reader for quite some time by sideloading, and still would rate Repligo 4.5/5.
    Thank you for providing your feedback. I will address each con in turn:

    1. What type of PDF is it? If it something like a map or filled with images it could take this long. Also, if the primary renderer could not open the PDF you would be using the secondary renderer which is much slower. Does this happen with every PDF? If not, can you send us the PDF?
    2. This makes me believe you are actually using the primary renderer as it does not provide a dialog indicating that the page is changing. The reason for this is that during our testing the primary renderer changed pages very quickly and the dialog was unnecessary. Perhaps we need to include the dialog for both renderers.
    3. Again, this could be based on the PDF as all scroll here is quite fast, even with the secondary renderer.
    4. v1.2 has a search function. It is possible it has not reached you yet. If you are running 1.2, simply swipe down to bring up the menu while viewing a PDF and select the magnifying glass to begin searching.

    Thanks again for your feedback!
    Nic
    Thanked by:
    Heavens1 (06-16-2012) 
  21. victorshikhman's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    159 Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Thanks for making Pdf Reader available in all countries, Nic. I just downloaded it and in the first half hour of use I know this is going to be my primary pdf reader going forward. I have a cell biology book (250mb, 1800 pages) that both Adobe and qPDF really struggled with. Pdf Reader opened it up within 2 seconds, and page turning is pretty fast, but I do sometimes get the "page turning" dialog box. Text, pictures, etc. render quickly and accurately (qPDF has some issues in that regard). The UI needs some work, as I'm sure you know, but the functionality is excellent, so thanks for that.

    I also tried the reader with a much smalled pdf book - 50mb - and page turning was lightning fast.

    I hope you keep working on this and add bookmarks, annotations, etc. Another feature I would really appreciate is being able to open multiple pdf's at one time, and being able to switch between them seamlessly.

    This is currently the best pdf reader on Playbook as far as I'm concerned, at a great price, and I'll make sure to let others know.
  22. fbloise's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    613 Posts
    Global Posts
    639 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B5E52DF
    #22  

    Default

    Reading a book on how to code in html5 using this app... flawless!

    very fast, thanks for the update, it feels way faster now. keep it up.
  23. velociraptor89's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    118 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Just bought it! Shame on those BIG name on pdf readers that can't even make a native one. At 0.99 this app is a steal! To the dev thanks for supporting the PlayBook!

    OMG This app is NATIVE and 200% better than the native adobe.

    Edit: Are you planning on annotating? I could pay more for that.
    Last edited by velociraptor89; 05-23-2012 at 07:49 PM.
  24. robtanz's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,047 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,048 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by velociraptor89 View Post
    Just bought it! Shame on those BIG name on pdf readers that can't even make a native one. At 0.99 this app is a steal! To the dev thanks for supporting the PlayBook!

    OMG This app is NATIVE and 200% better than the native adobe.

    Edit: Are you planning on annotating? I could pay more for that.
    It really is sweet action isn't it.

    Sent from.....the future.
  25. space_traveler's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    92 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Just purchased to help support further development. Bookmarks would be a nice addition. Like it so far.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions