Any word on when ICS will be supported on PB? I'm under the impression that RIM wants to have the best Android runtime on the market. I became aware of the best runtime support while searching QNX's job postings (RIM/QNX stresses that they wanted the best runtime ). The links are no longer up. I believe that RIM will certainly obtain the best runtime, as the beta software has been smooth as butter from my experience.
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 01-30-12 at 03:07 PM.
    01-30-12 03:03 PM
    Some time after 2.0. Right now that major of a change would break far too many things.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    01-30-12 03:47 PM
    Some time after 2.0. Right now that major of a change would break far too many things.
    That makes a lot of sense. BB 10, would probably be a good guess for someone like myself who isn't in the know like myself. As well by that time, ICS will have a much larger application base.
    01-30-12 05:35 PM
    This would be almost too good to be true.
    Last I heard, the Android version we're all playing with is 2.3.3

Has anyone heard of anything from RIM about jumping to 2.4, 3.1 or all the way to 4.0 anytime soon? Is there a road-map of some kind?
    01-30-12 05:51 PM
    I asked John at Beta Zone that question, and of course, he wouldn't confirm anything. He did say that RIM is committed to updating the android app player with whatever is opensourced. For OS2.0, it's clear the android player is going to be based on honeycomb...it'll be interesting when they get to ICS (although fixing the 2.0 android player is a priority...still a bit buggy for my liking in the Dev beta).
    01-30-12 05:59 PM
    The current Android Player is 2.3 (Gingerbread) based. The next one to be open sourced after 2.3 is 4.0, which is ICS. However given when the ICS source code showed up there really wasn't enough time for RIM to integrate it and test it for February. So I'm certain RIM will skip right to 4.0, or maybe a 4.1 if it comes out soon enough.
    01-30-12 06:08 PM
    I asked John at Beta Zone that question, and of course, he wouldn't confirm anything. He did say that RIM is committed to updating the android app player with whatever is opensourced. For OS2.0, it's clear the android player is going to be based on honeycomb...it'll be interesting when they get to ICS
    (although fixing the 2.0 android player is a priority...still a bit buggy for my liking in the Dev beta).
    Android is known to be buggy, laggy etc.....I wonder how this impacts the App Player on the PB?....Does RIM have the means to optimize the source code?
    01-30-12 07:23 PM
    There is absolutely nothing buggy or laggy about Honeycomb on my Acer tablet. It's smooth and as fast as any other tablet I've used, and I've got a PB as well. Hoping for good things with OS2 and onwards ...
    01-30-12 07:48 PM
    I asked John at Beta Zone that question, and of course, he wouldn't confirm anything. He did say that RIM is committed to updating the android app player with whatever is opensourced. For OS2.0, it's clear the android player is going to be based on honeycomb...it'll be interesting when they get to ICS (although fixing the 2.0 android player is a priority...still a bit buggy for my liking in the Dev beta).
    There is absolutely nothing buggy or laggy about Honeycomb on my Acer tablet. It's smooth and as fast as any other tablet I've used, and I've got a PB as well. Hoping for good things with OS2 and onwards ...
    I was just going by what I have seen and heard Some people experience the bugs /lag....some don't.....Maybe it stems from manufacturer and user
    01-30-12 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD