I purchased Tapatalk from Appworld and I left a comment in another forum and my signature had ... "for Android runtime." I all ready purchased Tapatalk on my Android phone. Why aren't Android apps labeled? I left a review asking why are we Android phone users being double charged for ports and my review is gone. I've sideloaded a handful of free apps and it was farely easy yet we are still being charged a premium for ports. Atleast add some tablet specific features. I know I know, some will point out its only $4, others that I should sell my Playbook. There should be a refund window like in the Android Market. This is my first experience with anything Blackberry and besides being double charged for Android ports, I'm loving it. :-) Thanks for letting me vent. Great forums.
    03-02-12 06:02 PM
    Android Market and App World are not connected. I'm assuming by double charged you mean because you bought it on your Android device, you expected it to be avail on the PlayBook as well? If that were the case, buying Angry Birds in one spot should make it avail on all platforms. Sadly, that's not how purchasing apps work.

It'd be nice if developers would require license keys for their applications and then make the apps free. If you had a license key, then it would be compatible on all devices. However developers are looking to make profit on each device, if it takes time to develop for that device, then there should be a payoff.

As for the refund window, that certainly would be nice. Who knows, I'm sure we'll get it eventually, it just probably isn't a priority at this point in time.

Glad you're loving your BlackBerry experience, it only gets better
    joski likes this.
    03-02-12 06:21 PM
    I know the two app stores are different, I've had no problem purchasing the same app on Android, iOS, and WebOS. The difference here is that these apps are Android built apps repackaged to run in the Android emulator. Just like how all these free Android apps are being sideloaded easily. They are not Blackberry Appworld apps, better yet not Playbook with HD, widescreen and gestures. I guess it just irked me when I found out that I paid twice for an Android app. I'm happily purchasing Playbook built apps and will continue, I just gotta really research which paid apps are BB built. Now back to browsing on the awesome Playbook browser.
    03-02-12 06:43 PM
    I wish app world differentiated between android and native apps too. I won't buy anything anymore until I know if it's a native app or not.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-03-12 01:05 AM
    I wish app world differentiated between android and native apps too. I won't buy anything anymore until I know if it's a native app or not.
    I totally agree. I hope RIM will reconsider their decision to hide the difference, given how different the experience is for Android apps versus native apps.
    03-03-12 01:37 AM
    If you have two cars that has the same wheel size and you want two sets of tires do you have to pay twice?
    03-03-12 08:52 AM
    I think right now that's not one if their priorities since it would only further show how many apps there are specifically built for the PlayBook.

Right now RIM wants to pass these android apps as their own, which they need to do since the populace is app-centred.

Maybe one day when they have bigger market share and they are well established, they may differentiate them in app world or put a little android DROID logo beside the app names.
    03-03-12 09:57 AM
    If you have two cars that has the same wheel size and you want two sets of tires do you have to pay twice?
    Not if you don't mind swapping your wheels around all the time
    03-03-12 10:33 AM
    I purchased Tapatalk from Appworld and I left a comment in another forum and my signature had ... "for Android runtime." I all ready purchased Tapatalk on my Android phone. Why aren't Android apps labeled? I left a review asking why are we Android phone users being double charged for ports and my review is gone. I've sideloaded a handful of free apps and it was farely easy yet we are still being charged a premium for ports. Atleast add some tablet specific features. I know I know, some will point out its only $4, others that I should sell my Playbook. There should be a refund window like in the Android Market. This is my first experience with anything Blackberry and besides being double charged for Android ports, I'm loving it. :-) Thanks for letting me vent. Great forums.
    Go buy EAST Sports NFL any year for the PS3. To get one for your Xbox you need to buy another one. Thats what you did. You bought a copy for each device. The thing is, porting the apps makes it easier and faster for development to try out app world and the PlayBook. If they do well there they, the hope would be that they would start to develop it as a native app to take advantage of features available on the PlayBook.

It's a win win for the devloper and RIM. More apps for rim and a easy way for them to test the market.

Because you bought the app you are helping both. And if they make a native version you should be getting it in an upgrade. So all is. It lost unless they don't make a native app.

Yes it would be nice to be able to buy one program and have a version for each device but that would cut down the incentive to make an app for a new platform.

James
    03-03-12 10:47 AM
    I think right now that's not one if their priorities since it would only further show how many apps there are specifically built for the PlayBook.

Right now RIM wants to pass these android apps as their own, which they need to do since the populace is app-centred.

Maybe one day when they have bigger market share and they are well established, they may differentiate them in app world or put a little android DROID logo beside the app names.
    Hopefully they won't need to do it by then because of the large list of new native apps coming in. And the list of ported apps that were made native because of the great sales numbers done on app world.

James
    03-03-12 10:52 AM
    James, it's actually more like if you bought a PC game for your toshiba PC and then played in on a Sony PC. The playbook is actually running a version of android.
    03-03-12 10:53 AM
    Update: I clicked on a link within the "non-native" purchased Tapatalk app and the Android emulator froze. So I swyped it away thinking that would do the trick and tried opening up Tapatalk again. Nope, stuck on frozen screen. This time I minimized app into a card and touched the X to close the card. Same outcome, frozen screen. So because the ported Tapatalk froze I'm now unable to open any "Android" app on my PB because attempting to just opens up the same frozen Android emulator screen. Blah. Gotta reboot now. To the tire analogy, I didn't buy two new tires for two different vehicles, I bought one new and one used that I thought was new. Get it?
    03-03-12 04:31 PM
    Did you have OS2 Beta when you updated to OS2 official? I've heard lots of people having those problems without wiping in between (I myself being 1). But I know people who went from 1.8 to OS2 official and it hasn't froze once.

Either way, the android player is still semi-working at best. I'm sure it will be perfected over time, just have to reboot to fix it.
    03-03-12 04:39 PM
    Did you have OS2 Beta when you updated to OS2 official? I've heard lots of people having those problems without wiping in between (I myself being 1). But I know people who went from 1.8 to OS2 official and it hasn't froze once.

Either way, the android player is still semi-working at best. I'm sure it will be perfected over time, just have to reboot to fix it.
    Nope, was following this forum for a while and got a new 32GB after seeing one of the posts on main page about the sale ending soon. Opened the box and updated within minutes of connecting to WiFi.
    03-03-12 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD