As I'm sure most of you are aware, the Playbook's HTML5 capabilities are amazing--especially when considering the fact that it is more HTML5 friendly than even the desktop versions of IE and Safari. What does this have to do with Pandora, you ask? Everything. If you're a Pandora One subscriber you'll have noticed that their new website is available for preview and this new site almost completely negates the need for an actual Pandora application.

The buttons are large and work well in both landscape and portrait orientations. The UI is fluid and doesn't take more than a few seconds to begin the high quality stream. In addition, it even runs when you're using other tabs. For example, as I write this on my Playbook in one tab, Pandora is running in the other.

So for those of you that NEED a Pandora application I'd definitely say spring for the 36$ annual cost for the One subscription.
    08-16-11 03:18 PM
    what's the site address? I'm a one subscriber, but I can't get past the login page - I can't get the keyboard to pop up to enter my info. Tried clearing my cache; no luck.
    08-16-11 07:03 PM
    what's the site address? I'm a one subscriber, but I can't get past the login page - I can't get the keyboard to pop up to enter my info. Tried clearing my cache; no luck.
    Probably just need to force the keyboard up by swiping up from the bottom left corner
    08-16-11 07:52 PM
    I confirmed what Altarocks observed. There is no way that you can enter your email address & password into the spaces provided ~ swiping with the keyboard is a hopeless cause. It may, however, work if you are a Pandora One subscriber but it won't work as as a free subscriber. If anyone has a workaround, I'd like to know what it is.
    08-16-11 08:22 PM
    Well at first you have to go to the standard Pandora.com site and enter your info into the standard login boxes (simple enough when zoomed in), upon logging on the site will load up it's flash based version completely first, if and only if you are a One subscriber a bar will drop down at the top that says something along the lines of "try out our new site." After that, it will be set to load the HTML5 site by default.
    Altarocks likes this.
    08-17-11 01:47 AM
    I was able to get my info entered. The login screen seems pretty buggy on the PB - it takes a combination of zooming and several taps to get the cursor to appear, then a swipe to open the keyboard. Changing stations is buggy too, but with a little patience it does work. Thanks for the nice find!
    08-17-11 02:00 AM
    My problem is the volume resetting everytime there is a pop-up. Drives me nuts. Outside of that I like it better than Slacker Radio.
    08-17-11 09:13 PM
    Volume is driving me crazy too. It didn't occur to me that it's related to pop ups. On the plus side, looks like they have a new main page that is more responsive to the PB.
    08-18-11 05:48 AM
    I tried the HTML5 site last night and had the same problems with volume that others are reporting. Pandora has always had different volumes between tracks, but switching volumes within tracks is even more annoying.

I also had the page lock up on me once (had to shut down the browser and restart) and it also crashed the browser once. Not encouraging.

The old flash site was slow and hard to use, but once you got it playing, it worked fine. I think I'll switch back to the old site for now.
    08-18-11 07:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD