I just rec'd my playbook, so far so good! My only issue is not being able to download books from my local library, therefore I am still having to use my Ipad. I have been searching the forums for an alternative. The drm on the library books are the issue. I have already tried Adobe digital editions and calibre. Calibre will not read because of the drm. I am not confortable with downloading a change to my operating system. And, surprise surprise, the book reader I downloaded from app world won't recognize the library books either. I guess my real question is...........When is an overdrive app going to be available for the playbook??????????
    12-27-11 01:01 PM
    There is an Android app for Overdrive that I found in the forums here somewhere and I have installed it before. You have to have the OSv2 beta to run Android apps. It seems to start up and run fine, but I've let my library card expire so I haven't actually tried downloading a book or audiobook yet. I'm hopeful it will work fine. I plan to renew my card next week and see how it works.

If you are pretty technically savvy and want to try to load the OSv2 beta, you should be able to load it up. Otherwise you will have to wait until OSv2 comes out in February and then push the Overdrive folks to put it in AppWorld.

Let me know if you want more info on loading the beta, etc..

I just rec'd my playbook, so far so good! My only issue is not being able to download books from my local library, therefore I am still having to use my Ipad. I have been searching the forums for an alternative. The drm on the library books are the issue. I have already tried Adobe digital editions and calibre. Calibre will not read because of the drm. I am not confortable with downloading a change to my operating system. And, surprise surprise, the book reader I downloaded from app world won't recognize the library books either. I guess my real question is...........When is an overdrive app going to be available for the playbook??????????
    12-27-11 01:40 PM
    I use Adobe Digital Editions to download books and read them on my PC. Calibre (with the conversion plugin installed) does a really nice job of removing the DRM so I can read it using one of the third-party e-book readers for PB. I delete the copy before the due date so I don't retain illegal copies. It works well in my situation at least until Overdrive is available on my PB.
    12-27-11 02:02 PM
    Interestly I was able to get Overdrive to load on to my Kindle Fire only to find out I didn't need to, my library has native support for kindle!
    12-27-11 02:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD