I was enojoyin my playbook(as usual) and I thought "How many apps can I open at once?". So I went a head and tried, got to 13 and then it started closing one out when I tried to open a new one. Its not an issue, I just wanted to know if anybody else notice this as well....Im on buils .1710, let me know. I guess thats how RIM solved that low memory issue....
    04-23-11 12:35 AM
    how often are you really going to have 13 apps open at once? lol

i think a test like the one you just did is about the only time i would have that many open.
    04-23-11 12:53 AM
    how often are you really going to have 13 apps open at once? lol

i think a test like the one you just did is about the only time i would have that many open.
    Yea I agree, that is and will be the only time i open that many apps. I was jus a little bit curious as to how many it would handle.lol Just randomly throw apps at it, gotta keep the new tech on its toes...
    04-23-11 12:59 AM
    I opened 13 before i noticed one close on me but then I scrolled through and noticed only 10 were still running. Thats a lot of apps.
    04-23-11 01:00 AM
    I opened 13 before i noticed one close on me but then I scrolled through and noticed only 10 were still running. Thats a lot of apps.
    Yea it is, well above my expectations and always a plus in my book.
    04-23-11 01:04 AM
    13 apps is not a lot and if mobile devices didn't have such shoddy battery life I think people would run more apps more often. On my computer I run tons of apps, but I don't have to worry abou tmy battery going out or getting out of memory errors.

WebOS phones with 512 MB RAM can run 50+ cards no problem.
    04-23-11 03:27 AM
    there is no magic number of apps, its the type of apps. NFS takes like 250 MBs of memory, the weather app might only take 20 though. Each tab in the browser seems to take up more too.
    anon(835884) likes this.
    04-23-11 05:20 AM
    On the first day i noticed mine could run NFS and a video at the same time, but today they don't. One will pause while the other one is active.
    04-23-11 05:33 AM
    On the first day i noticed mine could run NFS and a video at the same time, but today they don't. One will pause while the other one is active.
    same thing kept happening to me. i made sure to set the multitasking to showcase too. the video kept stopping when i would go to another app
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    04-23-11 05:45 AM
    Hmm, I have not run into this issue as of yet. Of course, I have never understood the need to keep running certain apps together. Nevertheless, this professional grade tablet is supposed to be able to handle that situation with a shrug. I have noticed some memory optimization with each OS update, and I am hoping for more. We shall see.
    04-23-11 10:27 AM
    same thing kept happening to me. i made sure to set the multitasking to showcase too. the video kept stopping when i would go to another app
    Wow, that was my miss I think! It took me quite awhile to get my playbook back from the 3 iNephews that are visiting this weekend. I gave them Angry Farm Level 69 on the Torch to chew on while I checked my playbook settings, it was on default. As soon I reset the Application Behaviour to Showcase the beast was BACK! Now...those 3 iNephews are about to get schooled.
    Bring it on!
    04-23-11 04:19 PM
    And the iPad can do...oh wait, the iPad doesn't multitask

ignites and baszedgod like this.
    04-23-11 04:22 PM
    Hmm, I have not run into this issue as of yet. Of course, I have never understood the need to keep running certain apps together. Nevertheless, this professional grade tablet is supposed to be able to handle that situation with a shrug. I have noticed some memory optimization with each OS update, and I am hoping for more. We shall see.
    The fact that it can do true multitasking doesn't mean it can defy the limits of basic computing.

It has 1GB to use and only 1GB. If you open apps requiring more...not gonna happen.

People are twisting this as if it should be able to run every app you download at once because it can "multitask".
    therapyreject174 likes this.
    04-23-11 04:24 PM
    i have had 32 running on my old nokia e90....and 36 on my current n900....but that was just to try...i actually ran out of options of what i wanted to open.

the e90 slowed a bit...but inpressive as there were 2 gps products working at the same time as satalite radio...

the n900 was strong and wanted more....

but 13 is plenty imo. i usually only have open about 6-10 at a time throughout the day anyway...and this is just a tablet...not my handset.

still great.
    04-23-11 04:27 PM
    If you need to have more than 13 apps open at once you should probably get yourself tested for ADD.
    04-23-11 04:29 PM
    If you need to have more than 13 apps open at once you should probably get yourself tested for ADD.
    I'm sure switching between 2 apps nonstop can help those with ADD.
    04-23-11 04:43 PM
    for me it was 10, but that included a movie playing (5GB for a 2 hour movie), need for speed, tetris, and my top 3 most memory-intense looking downloaded applications. As I tried to open the 11th app need for speed closed... Admittedly, the largest number of apps I've had open before now was 3, and that was only because I used a side swipe to leave my email instead of closing it fully, and I was writing a word document based on information from a website, and
    04-23-11 05:16 PM
    really?
    really?
    really?
    really?
    really?
    really?
    really?
    really?
    really?
    really?
    really?
    really?
    really?

I'm sure switching between 2 apps nonstop can help those with ADD.
    confirmed! lol.
    04-23-11 05:25 PM
    It depends on what apps you have opened. Some apps take up more memory and so if you have a few of them open, it'll not let you have a ton of apps. I hope the memory management gets better or they'll have to ship with 2gb of RAM since the tablet OS itself is taking up 500 mb of the RAM.
    04-23-11 06:58 PM
    I noticed that I typically have below 4-5 apps open at all times. I really don't see the need to have 13 apps open (though the power to do so is appreciated). Switching between apps is cool but I notice that I don't like to see my PlayBook all "cluttered" with open apps if that makes sense.
    04-23-11 07:07 PM
    The fact that it can do true multitasking doesn't mean it can defy the limits of basic computing.

It has 1GB to use and only 1GB. If you open apps requiring more...not gonna happen.

People are twisting this as if it should be able to run every app you download at once because it can "multitask".
    I see you did not read my whole post. I realize the limits of basic computing, and I mentioned that I do not see the need to have a bunch of applications open. I was merely commenting, as well as some of the others, on functionality that was there on the PlayBook at launch, and has since disappeared with new updates. That functionality being the ability to run the HD video demo, or even the video app for that matter, whilst running NFS. Before, everything would keep running even with Showcase enabled. Now, that does not seem to be the case.
    04-23-11 08:09 PM
    I definitly dont need 13 apps at one, but I typically have about 17tabs open in the browser, and ive noticed if I open any other apps at all it shuts down the browser...

it remembers the tabs and reloads them quickly, so its not a big deal.. but i can see it being annoying when not on wifi as reloading all those tabs will be a waste of data.
    04-23-11 09:09 PM
    I definitly dont need 13 apps at one, but I typically have about 17tabs open in the browser, and ive noticed if I open any other apps at all it shuts down the browser...

it remembers the tabs and reloads them quickly, so its not a big deal.. but i can see it being annoying when not on wifi as reloading all those tabs will be a waste of data.
    I was never into having a huge amount of tabs open; the most I have open on my computer, at one time, is five. That has translated over to The PB as well. In effect, with five tabs open, and two applications to boot, my PB runs quite well and nothing closes on its own.
    Last edited by Crackberrykills; 04-23-11 at 09:22 PM.
    04-23-11 09:20 PM
    Did not know we had 13 apps...
    Hobbes2099 likes this.
    04-23-11 10:57 PM
    I just upgraded to 2.1 and had 15 apps open at once lol
    10-25-12 05:02 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD