I couldn't sleep so of course I picked up my PlayBook - happened to venture into app world and saw an upgrade to the drum app I had been complaining about...

Downloaded it and WOW responsiveness improved 100%! Unless I'm imagining things or dreaming.. SEE? SEE? I knew you could do it! Still not perfect, but this is what I expected and probably as good as it can get.... awesome. Do you see what I was saying now?

I had to jump out of bed to run to my desktop to write this, because I couldn't type fast enough on the stupid virtual keyboard...

I am now the biggest fan and it appears that the squeeky wheel does get the grease! He was satisfied, but I just could not be, knowing the potential..

This thing is now as it should be - I can't stop messing with it now... finally usable!!

Just had to push you . Now please confirm that you actually did something, so I know I'm not dreaming ,and let me know when this is pushed up to "Instruments" and I will buy it immediately..
    From a tech point of view what did you do?? Very curious as a tech guy. (who happens to never be satisfied with mediocrity...)

And here is your best promotion... a satisfied formerly complaining converted customer with honest testimony

Thank you!

Love it love it....
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-28-11 at 05:41 AM.
    07-28-11 04:57 AM
    The update that was released a few days ago just adds a new kit, bringing the total kits number up to 20. There was no functionality changes at all.

Here is where I think your problem was. When Drums was first released it was developed before the PlayBook had been released, so I never had a chance to test it on an actual device and I had to use the dodgy pre release simulator from RIM. There was no multi touch in version 1.0.0.

As soon as I got my PlayBook I did some tests, added multi touch and a few tweaks, if you are familiar with AS3 you will know that it only allows 32 sounds to be played simultaneously. If you bash the drums really fast, the 32 sound allowance will fill up pretty quickly, causing problems. This issue was solved and drums was updated to version 1.0.1.

So, correct me if I am wrong but perhaps you purchased version 1.0.0 of Drums, and havent updated until now? So your version of the app had all the bugs in?

Here's a handy version history if anyone is interested:

1.0.0 First release, response bugs and no multi touch. Only 1 drum kit to play.
    1.0.1 Multi touch and response bugs addressed. Added 18 different drum kits.
    1.0.2 Animal drum kit added.
    1.0.3 Reverse drum kit added.

And also, Instruments had the same issues as the first release of drums due to not having a testing device. The issues were addressed in version 1.0.1 (its now on 1.0.3) and it should be working fine.

Here is a link to the apps if anyone else is interested in them:

Drums:
    https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/39902

Instruments:
    https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/38379

I'm glad you're enjoying it now!
    07-28-11 05:55 AM
    I couldn't sleep so of course I picked up my PlayBook - happened to venture into app world and saw an upgrade to the drum app I had been complaining about...
    Too funny man...you ripped into the dude a couple of days ago but you hadn't even tried his latest version lol lol lol

I love the app!
    ericlc2 likes this.
    07-28-11 08:10 AM
    MAYBE it's the placebo effect? HOWEVER it seemed a bit more responsive to me too as did the piano module. You SURE you didn't tweak the code a little. I DO have Instruments.
    ericlc2 likes this.
    07-28-11 08:14 AM
    @pkcable the code was not touched apart from adding a new kit - honest!
    07-28-11 08:18 AM
    Did you upgrade your AIR SDK anywhere in the process? Lots of little things fixed from 1.0.2 to 1.1.0...
    07-28-11 09:59 AM
    @HaTaX after 1.0.1 if my memory serves me correctly
    07-28-11 10:33 AM
    Too funny man...you ripped into the dude a couple of days ago but you hadn't even tried his latest version lol lol lol

I love the app!
    There was no new version offered in app world until last night, so not so funny.
    Maybe app world can be blamed I don't know. _ wish I could step back and see what version I was using now...

MAYBE it's the placebo effect? HOWEVER it seemed a bit more responsive to me too as did the piano module. You SURE you didn't tweak the code a little. I DO have Instruments.
    Absolutely no way it's a placebo I tested it multiple times before ripping...I wanted so much to like it. I was 100% sure of what I was talking about...I gave it every chance I could and could not figure out why everyone was so happy about it. I could only figure the users had no musical interest and loved the toy value - not good enough for me :d

I compared it to the piano app (other developer) as a sanity check.
    this thing simply would not keep up with my fingers and in a very measurable way I mean like
    it simply had delays and measurable, (quarter second to half second I even measured it) like one tap wouldn't start until the previous one had completed -

I do think it had to do with multi-touch not working.
    I guess its a mystery and phenomenon, but all is well that ends well - I do apologize sincerely and humbly going back to remove my previous posts....also buying instruments and telling you that your price is too low.

and above I said it wasn't perfect, but now that I have played with it more I would say that it is..
    NICE WORK.

Credit where credit is due.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-28-11 at 01:39 PM.
    07-28-11 12:50 PM
    Can you explain why the cymbals sometimes are short and terse and other times sustained? I love the seeming randomness of it, but what am I doing to cause that?

This is definitely PlayBook worthy! And Blackjack approved...

Now for my improvement request for which I think a paid upgrade is not out of the question::

Custom drum kit - can we create our own sound assignments from the samples in the various canned kits?

Could a different sample be voiced depending on where you hit the pad or cymbal to mimic the same in a real kit?

Do you plan to add a sequencer at some point? (additional plug in?)

As a general question, what about MIDI in or out? requires external hardware I'm sure but wouldn't THAT be something.
    What about a track recorder to overdub?

That would be a $50 app for me!
    It's a shame that people are spoiled and expect all apps to be under three dollars when most aren't worth *** and the deserving ones can't get the price!! If this were a desktop app people would expect to pay over $100 for it...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-28-11 at 01:36 PM.
    07-28-11 01:32 PM
    Love Instruments also, but I have to add my comments (of course) :

I love that you can swipe to go up or down scale, but would be nicer if you could squeeze in more than one octave at a time with narrower keys - especially with multitouch you can use two hands or span wider chords with one hand ..or at least offer a choice of key width - I don't see any reason it needs to be near real size on a touchpad - I prefer the two octave spacing on the "Piano" app, but I love that you can swipe to go up or downscale...honestly I prefer the "Piano" app but it seems to have stopped improving..wanted to see a sustain pedal of some kind and swiping for more range...

Too much panning required on this maybe a choice of one octave - two octave three octave....and the samples seem a little too "heavy" and rich (harmonics) when playing chords compared to the other app.-

The xylophone actually sounds more like chimes to me than an xylophone - same applies here - would rather have more available notes than realistic width of the bars

Just my .99 cents!

Keep up the good work and don't stop!! Yes I know I'm too picky for a .99 app, but would rather pay more to get more....
    No question I got more than my value, not complaining.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-28-11 at 01:57 PM.
    07-28-11 01:46 PM
    Wow. Just wow

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ericlc2 likes this.
    07-28-11 03:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD