This page How to easily capture large maps from google maps � Digital Quest explains how to get a panning Google map into a PNG file.

Unfortunately the resulting 12Mb image can't be zoomed into well enough to be able to make out details.

Does anyone know how to zoom into a picture on a Playbook beyond the current 100% limit? This would be really handy to be able to create simple city maps when travelling overseans
    08-05-11 09:02 PM
    Download the map to a pdf file. Use the Adobe Acrobat reader to zoom. You can also use jpg files and view as a photo with zoom.
    I use detailed New York City maps that I downloaded from the nyc.gov website.
    There are many such maps around the world
    08-05-11 09:10 PM
    I created a 5000x4000px PNG that takes in the greater Paris area. I have tried rendering it to both PDF and other graphic formats but you simply can't zoom far enough into a 5x4k image.
    08-05-11 09:46 PM
    Just bumping the thread to see if anyone can suggest a picture viewer for the Playbook that is capable of zooming-in and rendering a 5000x4000px image?

The PB can easily open the image but can't render the detail at zoomed in levels beyond 100% zoom.
    08-06-11 05:48 PM
    Any idea where to find a sample image that size for testing/playing?
    08-06-11 06:28 PM
    I always fed my offline maps to TrekBuddy (different resolutions for easy zoom in/out) with GoogleAK.

As soon as I have some free time, I'm planning to create a WebWorks standalone app based on openlayers.org
    I hope it helps, Wolf
    08-07-11 11:09 AM
    Hi @F2

I found this link to a large image file on Google.

http://www.skimap.org/data/28/1/1252282922.jpg

This is a 5000 x 3839 image and is a 7Mb.
    08-07-11 09:08 PM
    I always fed my offline maps to TrekBuddy (different resolutions for easy zoom in/out) with GoogleAK.

As soon as I have some free time, I'm planning to create a WebWorks standalone app based on openlayers.org
    I hope it helps, Wolf
    please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please do it
    08-07-11 09:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD