So far I have finally been able to connect to the playbook with Bluetooth. The problem was the cable did not have the Pass Key for connecting listed anywhere in the manual. I found suggestion in this forum - it was 1234 and it worked. The program does connect to the ODB but you do need some kind of instructions on how to run it since it is not the garmin gps. So I would say yes it works on the playbook and that is more preferable to me.

Big thanks to the people that posted the suggestion!
    I don't want to dash your hopes but your Bluetooth enabled devices will not work until RIM provides APIs for the required Bluetooth profiles. As you have discovered, you are able to pair any BT device with the PB but apps that require the Bluetooth Serial Port Profile (SPP) or other unsupported profiles will not be able to communicate with external devices.
    07-11-12 07:21 AM
    Anything new on this? How about anyone running 2.1 beta?

I just find it so very odd that RIM showcases the Playbook connected to Porsches and police cars, but has no support for the average guy connecting to their OBD socket.
    08-14-12 08:56 PM
    try obdcheap.com maybe you can find what you need

ELM327 USB Interface Scanner OBD CAN-BUS Tool ELM 327 V 1.5a

Online Shopping Security
    High Quality, Low Price & Excellent Service

Color : silvery white
    Weight : 400g
    Dimension:150*100*70mm

Regular Price: $29.15

Buy it Now : $28.07

Supported Vehicle:

Suitable for almost all cars

Product Description

internal protection from short circuits/overvoltage

Nominal idle current: 45 mA
    11-21-12 07:33 PM
    How about using an OBD adapter that supports wi-fi connections? The android player does support wi-fi, so this should work in theory. Has anybody tried through wi-fi, instead of bluetooth?
    03-28-13 10:08 AM
    How about using an OBD adapter that supports wi-fi connections? The android player does support wi-fi, so this should work in theory. Has anybody tried through wi-fi, instead of bluetooth?
    Are there WiFi OBD adapters, though? And if so, I'm would imagine they would be ad-hoc type devices, rather than infrastructure mode - because presumably, you couldn't actually count on anything like a WiFi infrastructure, or hot spot to use - so I'm guessing they'd likely be peer-to-peer (ad-hoc) type WiFi devices?
    03-28-13 10:37 AM
    Are there WiFi OBD adapters, though? And if so, I'm would imagine they would be ad-hoc type devices, rather than infrastructure mode - because presumably, you couldn't actually count on anything like a WiFi infrastructure, or hot spot to use - so I'm guessing they'd likely be peer-to-peer (ad-hoc) type WiFi devices?
    Quite a few

WiFi OBD adapter | eBay
    03-28-13 11:02 AM
    I have a USB ELM module (looks virtually identical to those that you linked to - apart from, obviously, the USB lead...) which works fine - but the true nut to crack is going to be software support - which is hardly the PlayBook's current strength. Torque is available on Android - but doesn't that work with bluetooth modules - which is the current problem with the PlayBook. And a port of an Android app is probably going to be challenged with access to hardware devices.

Any of these ELMs at cheap prices won't have any official / licensed software with them - at least that's what I suspect from experience - you get evaluation or free copies of various bits of software that will work with them.
    03-28-13 11:31 AM
    I just noticed Torque Pro OBD2 in BBWorld in the new arrivals section of the Apps. It says it supports BB10 devices so I don't know if it will work on the playbook.

It works with a OBD2 wifi dongle that supports infrastructure mode. I've seen plenty of them online and the Torque wiki lists one that will work for BB10 devices.

I'm really curious to see if this works. But I don't want to spend a lot of cash only to see it doesn't work.

Anyone here willing to give it a shot?
    06-15-13 10:09 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD