looks like the playbook will not be getting an official gmail app even after os 2.0 is released

Google to end support for BlackBerry Gmail app this month -- Engadget
    11-09-11 11:46 AM
    meh

11-09-11 11:56 AM
    Considering that the gmail app on ios is garbage and that Google had to pull it --- it's not a big surprise.
    11-09-11 11:57 AM
    Gmail app for iOS will return in better shape. For now I guess have to make do with the NATIVE EMAIL APP. Boo hoo for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-11 12:00 PM
    Gmail.com works great from my PlayBook (although you will have to log in each time), and for instant Gmail emails, i just use the Bridge to check Gmail emails sent to my BlackBerry
    11-09-11 12:05 PM
    I picked up the Playbook on day one and it already had an app for Google. My wife has been using it since.

The app still works and it is based on the web anyway.

If you have a Google e-mail account you can log in anytime. Further, with Bridge you can log in to your G-mail on a road trip from the middle of nowhere.

You absolutely have the ability to check any web-based e-mail (Google, Yahoo, MSN, hotmail, etc.) and have been able to do it from day one.

The only way you can't get to your gmail account is if you don't have web access and thanks to Bridge you can get it better than most.
    11-09-11 12:09 PM
    Use the bridge or a web based shortcut!! Who need an app?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-11 12:40 PM
    Limitations of the web app: have to sign on every time, no notification of new mail until you sign on
    To me those would be dealbreakers.
    11-09-11 12:50 PM
    You absolutely have the ability to check any web-based e-mail (Google, Yahoo, MSN, hotmail, etc.) and have been able to do it from day one.

The only way you can't get to your gmail account is if you don't have web access and thanks to Bridge you can get it better than most.
    True on webmail, though there are plenty of smaller installations that don't support webmail.

Bridge is fine for e-mail, but connection speeds make browsing far below optimal in many cases (I'm referring to inter-device Bluetooth connections, not the BB's network connection).
    11-09-11 12:50 PM
    You don't have to log in to gmail on the web every time, or at least I don't. Just save the gmail site as one of your favorites and click on remember me.
    11-09-11 01:08 PM
    When going to the website for Google (gmail.com) or yahoo (ymail.com) I get an error "Unknown Network Error" (failed writing received data to disk/application) when accessing through the BB bridge (running OS 2). Note, I have no problem surfing the web i.e. Yahoo.com, MSN.com...ect using BB bridge.

When I'm not using BB bridge (connected through WiFi) I have no problems logging into my gmail or ymail account.

Question - when composing a new e-mail if I miss-spell a word it gets underlined "in red". how do you simulate a right mouse click to bring up the list of correctly spelled word options?
    11-09-11 01:28 PM
    Bridge functionality is excellent as you say.

The PB has spell check not auto suggest except in word to go.
    11-09-11 01:51 PM
    Did anyone ever even use the BB gmail app vs just setting it up through BIS? Or on PB - just going to the gmail web portal vs the crappy preloaded gmail icon?
    11-09-11 02:42 PM
    wow and i need that to loogg in
    11-09-11 02:57 PM
    first, most commenters above sound as if they had never used an email app and are not quite sure why an app may be better than a shortcut

second, i bet some of the commenters won't deny this simple fact:

"as long as the playbook's functionality depends on bridge, we won't see any significant increase in sales and the chances of the playbook succeeding in the market will be quite low". and i want it to succeed as much as you, guys, do.

don't forget that only about 10-15% of people in the States (the biggest market) are using bb phones. it's not like it was 2-3 years ago when every second smartphone was bb.
    Last edited by adamman; 11-09-11 at 03:19 PM.
    11-09-11 03:15 PM
    I use GMail in my browser, just like I do on my laptop, work PC, etc. Wasn't even expecting them to make an app. I have a bookmark for the basic HTML page but its usually one of my open tabs anyway. When the browser starts, it does too.

It's not like Google is blocking email to all BB devices or something.
    11-09-11 03:35 PM
    looks like the playbook will not be getting an official gmail app even after os 2.0 is released

It was never in sight prior to this. The announcement changed nothing
    11-09-11 03:40 PM
    I picked up the Playbook on day one and it already had an app for Google. My wife has been using it since.

The app still works and it is based on the web anyway.

If you have a Google e-mail account you can log in anytime. Further, with Bridge you can log in to your G-mail on a road trip from the middle of nowhere.

That's not an app, that's just a shortcut to gmail.com on the web browser. A native email app or a standalone Gmail app is far superior to just going to gmail.com on a mobile device.
    11-09-11 03:46 PM

That's referring to the java bbos platform. There hasn't even been one for QNX. Still kind of a bummer though
    11-09-11 03:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD