I'm proud to announce the release of a Nintendo 64 emulator for the BlackBerry PlayBook, Mupen64Plus-PB.

Release details and download can be found at the following link.

Mupen64Plus-PB – An N64 Emulator for PlayBook

**The above link should be good now. I'll leave this here as a backup.**
    Mupen64Plus-PB-1_0_0_2.bar

Known Issues:
    1. Some games (unfortunately Zelda OoT and MM) have a lower framerate that can cause studdering and sound issues. Need to investigate if it's a hardware or software issue.
    2. Diddy Kong Racing doesn't accept input. This doesn't happen on other emulators so it needs to be looked in to.
    3. The in-game rom switcher will crash fairly often, though you can simply restart the emulator to pick a new game.

Troubleshooting
    1. Try a different video plugin or disabling sound.
    2. Try another rom, as well as ones from different regions (PAL/NTSC).
    3. Take a look at other Mupen game compatibility guides. They should be somewhat similar. If a game there doesn't work, don't expect it to here.
    4. Try going to your PlayBook settings (swipe down from the top), going to Security, then application permissions, then Mupen64Plus-PB, and ensure Files access is set to allowed. Then launch again and hopefully this time it will create the folder.

Donate
    If you wish to donate the link can be found here.

This forum can be used for support and troubleshooting, as well as providing updates to the current status of the project.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Catalystg; 06-24-12 at 10:08 AM.
    06-21-12 10:32 AM
    All I have to say is, Totally Freaking Awesome!
    SlcCorrado and Kandoo-BB like this.
    06-21-12 10:56 AM
    Well done Now we just need a bluetooth game controller to work with all these emulators and we're set!!!
    kenchang83, brad1986 and 00stryder like this.
    06-21-12 11:00 AM
    Awesome! Time to load up Super Smash Bros. and of course Zelda OOT.

It would be a dream to be able to link playbooks together and play games like SSB together. Maybe via bluetooth connection.
    06-21-12 11:01 AM
    Omg omg omg omg omg
    <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
    06-21-12 11:01 AM
    how easy is to control without a big 64 controller? cause like the post above me, it would rock to have a BT controller.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    BB10FTW likes this.
    06-21-12 11:02 AM
    how easy is to control without a big 64 controller? cause like the post above me, it would rock to have a BT controller.

It's definitely manageable depending on the game. A BT controller would definitely be nice, and will be added when available.
    06-21-12 11:06 AM
    i cant play poekmon puzzle league
    06-21-12 11:07 AM
    And where is the Z-Trigger?
    06-21-12 11:13 AM
    God bless you Catalystg.
    Thank you very much for this
    06-21-12 11:33 AM
    MAJORA'S MASK ON MY PLAYBOOK!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOW
    AWESOME DUDE!!
    WHERE CAN WE DONATE??!!
    06-21-12 11:37 AM
    "This account has been suspended"
    I can't download the bar file

Edit: The link is now working for me Installing
    Last edited by f1mx; 06-21-12 at 01:51 PM.
    06-21-12 11:44 AM
    can someone please mirror the bar?

Catalystg you should put the project on github!
    06-21-12 11:48 AM
    heres the bar
    edit: added a torrent to save crackberry some bandwidth
    Last edited by nah.uhh; 06-21-12 at 11:52 AM.
    kritikal likes this.
    06-21-12 11:48 AM
    Opensourcebb.com suddenly suspended, coinsidance?
    jtvoxboi likes this.
    06-21-12 11:49 AM
    And where is the Z-Trigger?
    Currently, left below analog pad. I found it easier there for the game I was playing.

Also, we are aware of the site issues. We are looking into it. Temporary DL link has been posted in first post.
    Last edited by Catalystg; 06-21-12 at 11:59 AM.
    06-21-12 11:53 AM
    I love the emu my friend, awesome work.
    06-21-12 12:03 PM

Im a total noob to this so maybe one of the devs can explain or try this but I thought using BT controllers on android was no hassle, so y not use an android emulator and run it on pb through android player? would there still be issues with BT?
    06-21-12 12:07 PM
    Ocarina of time detecting no controller.

Most of 3D games I tried having lag issue.

I'm very excited to test this emu, thanx a lot .
    Last edited by altemecya; 06-21-12 at 12:20 PM.
    06-21-12 12:15 PM
    Im a total noob to this so maybe one of the devs can explain or try this but I thought using BT controllers on android was no hassle, so y not use an android emulator and run it on pb through android player? would there still be issues with BT?
    BT on android works because the drivers support it. The android player will still need to have the underlying support which PlayBook doesn't have. BT keyboards do work however, though I haven't added support yet.

My next projects will be to update PSX and N64 emulators with some more features. This will probably be one of them.
    06-21-12 12:16 PM
    Ocarina of time detecting no controller
    What happens? How far does it go? Have you tried different Roms? Do other games work? If you are having issues try to post enough so that I can try to help.

I'm aware of some games like Zelda: OoT having some framerate issues. Many of the popular games (Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Banjo Kazooie, etc) seem to work perfectly for me.
    Last edited by Catalystg; 06-21-12 at 12:24 PM.
    06-21-12 12:21 PM
    Would be very cool i full icontrolpad support would be possible in the future. but this bt controller also has a "keyboard" mode, sure the analog sticks wont work in this correct in this mode but it is still one of the best controllers for mobile devices.

It would be cool to see this in your emulators in the next releases.

Anyway great work on Mupen, the waiting was sure worth it. The Games i tried yet (besides Zelda) ran fantastic.

Thank your very much for this great Emulator!

PS. i wish Rim could open up the bt stack a bit on the playbook
    06-21-12 12:23 PM
    Would be very cool i full icontrolpad support would be possible in the future. but this bt controller also has a "keyboard" mode, sure the analog sticks wont work in this correct in this mode but it is still one of the best controllers for mobile devices.

It would be cool to see this in your emulators in the next releases.

Anyway great work on Mupen, the waiting was sure worth it. The Games i tried yet (besides Zelda) ran fantastic.

Thank your very much for this great Emulator!

PS. i wish Rim could open up the bt stack a bit on the playbook
    I've found Zelda: OoT (E) with sound disabled and using GLES2N64 to be fairly playable. Something I will look into for sure.
    06-21-12 12:28 PM
    A few quick shots before I get down and dirty with this thing

06-21-12 12:31 PM
    This is amazing! Not that I have any illegally downloaded ROM files but if I did where would I put the files on my PB?
    06-21-12 12:51 PM
144 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD