Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default New PlayBook Map & GIS App

We've just uploaded a new PlayBook app to App World. I have linked to a couple of videos of the app in this forum some while ago:

Mobile Location Based Application Development | Web & Mobile Location Based Development

You can now download it - ArcGIS Viewer:

BlackBerry App World - ArcGIS Viewer

At this stage it is very much a demo. That is why we have made it a free app. We are looking to build on this work and develop an app with advanced mapping and GIS capabilities along the lines of:

ArcGIS Viewer for Flex

Its built in AIR and uses the ESRI API shown above. We'd welcome as much constructive feedback as we can get from the community. This is work in progress, but feedback will help us build a more polished app. We plan to provide an improved base free version, with customized versions - including advanced functionality - being fee based.

Thanks

--Matt
    Thanked by 2:
    eea123 (12-16-2012),  jonasbeaver (07-05-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

As an data analyst/consumer of GIS in engineering, I'm looking forward to the continued development of this app. We need more of this sort, specially seeing that it's a professional tool for a professional-grade tablet.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Will the map and GIS data reside on the actual Playbook, or will one need to be connected to the internet via wifi or 3G to utilize. Would be an awesome field tool if the data where downloaded in the office and the device not dependent on connectivity other than the GPS.

I just downloaded your map app and I'm really liking what I am seeing so far.

I'd also like to encourage this app and particularly "LOCAL DATA" on the device.
    CrackBerry Addict

Just downloaded, seems pretty good.... Not sure what I'd use to for though....

Is there a way to set your 'home'? As I live in the UK and when I start it up, the default is in the US
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    249E5482

Hey Matt,

Great work that you are doing. I am a pilot of a small general aviation aircraft and just picked up a playbook for charts. The FAA releases free charts in a gis TFW/TIF format, and I intend on testing out your app in the air. (I will have all the paper backups I need just in case) But I would be curious if you would be interested in perhaps a development geared toward aviation. The ability to store the charts on the device and not require a network connection is huge in the air where that isn't possible. An ability to show an aircraft on a chart using this format would make it a real winner.

Here is a link to the sectional charts if you are interested:
    Aviation System Standards - AJW-3

I am sure if you can create a well polished program, you could have a real money maker here in the pilot community.
    CrackBerry User

Default Looks promising!

This really looks promising. I'd love to be able to take Arc files into the field with me. MagicGIS and GeoMobile are both by you folks then? Since my employer doesn't have a webserver to point GeoMobile at, MagicGIS looks to be the better solution. I just downloaded MagicGIS and will try to load a dataset from work this week. I think we'd be able to peel off a few dollars to help support or purchase this application. I'm more of an AutoCAD users rather than ArcGIS, but I have both appilcations at work and am very interested in implementing some sort of mapping / GPS tracking for field work / inspections.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,087 Global Posts

Are the devs actively working on this application? It appears that it's been awhile since they've made any posts about updates. I see the version is at 3.2.4 but it looks to have been awhile back. This could have great potential in the field for me and many others too I would imagine
    CrackBerry User

Default Loads SHP files

I'm more of an AutoCAD user, but I was able to export individual layers from ArcMap v10 as SHP (shape files) and open them in MagicGIS. I'm just starting to try this app out, but my county's GIS parcel mapping clocks in at 3.3Mb and pulls up alright. No extended data features are visible, but that may have been my export settings rather a limitation in MagicGIS? Right now I'm very impressed with it and will next try to implement the GPS overlay feature.

Thanks for sharing this.
    CrackBerry User

MedChemist - I am using MagicGIS with SHP files loaded on the tablet.