soon to the playbook. This new format looks awesome and in one of the pictures, there is a Twitter app on the front page
    ( looks like a native app ). There is also a small app icon that looks like it could be Skype. The new format also has 5 tabs on the top instead of 4 due to the blurry image. I will upload the pictures soon.

Last edited by rupam95; 05-05-12 at 08:33 AM.
    05-04-12 10:57 PM
    Post'em, so we can see what's going on and believe.
    Marty_LK and SK122387 like this.
    05-04-12 11:20 PM
    Well.... I won't get my hopes up too high...there was a picture of the original App World with a Skype logo on it, back when the PlayBook launched. Skype is still nowhere to be found.

Side note: I like how App World looks now..
    05-04-12 11:25 PM
    Wow! The previous images of AppWorld have all been spot on too! No, wait...Skype was on there before...

I have no doubt that AppWorld will be getting an update, but don't put too much stock in the pictures as to what apps are coming.
    05-04-12 11:27 PM
    Now if only they would fix the Search function so it actually finds things. In another thread someone mentioned qpdf. Search for "pdf" and it does not show up. Really, what is it looking at? What other pdf apps are out there it cannot find?
    05-04-12 11:33 PM
    Now if only they would fix the Search function so it actually finds things. In another thread someone mentioned qpdf. Search for "pdf" and it does not show up. Really, what is it looking at? What other pdf apps are out there it cannot find?
    Agreed. You can put in the exact title of something and it doesn't show sometimes. Or put in BookReader instead of Book Reader and get no results. They really need to do some work on the search function.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    05-05-12 12:33 AM
    Unless the supposed new version has the following, App World will still be problematic:

Picture Requirements
    The pictures of the apps are too small; of poor quality; or outright missing. In this day and age, there is no excuse for this; pictures MUST be larger with an increase in the quality of the actual picture. It also MUST be mandatory for developers to provide pictures of their apps.

App Descriptions
    All apps, but particularly for those with a cost associated with them, must have a minimum explanation of what the app does. This minimum excludes the phrase "this app is super excellent app". Really!?! So what exactley does it do?

Searching <-- note the emphasis RIM
    There must be a complete overhall done to the existing search algorhthym; additional filters are needed, e.g., portrait/non portrait use; android/native; date added to appworld; developers name; etc.

As for the existing filters, try actually getting them to work, e.g., searching for apps and then filtering them by ratings, one would think that it would list all the 5 star apps first followed by 4 followed by 3, etc. Instead, you get some 5 apps, then a few 3, then a 2, then a 5, etc. The existing filters are nonsensicle - they dont work period.

What's been updated
    The "whats been updated" filter needs to be reintroduced so that users can keep track as to what apps have been updated.

Changelogs
    I know some developers do not like this, but honestly, you need to be providing changelogs so that users know what actually has been changed - especially if your app moves from Native to Android or if your planning on removing features that were already in the app.

Notify Me
    App World should allow users to create a "notify me" option in which users could type the name of a developer they wish to follow - whenever said developer updates their apps or introduces new ones; a notification would go off in App World so that the user is instantly informed. In this way, if a users finds a developer who they particularly like, they can have an easier time finding any new apps that apear.

Blocking Feature
    It certainly would be nice to have a mechanism whereby a user could "block" developers they do not wish to support. Yes, Digi-Media, I'm looking at you with this one.

I know that this is a long list, but as App World grows, as evidenced by the BBW, substantially more effort is needed to create a storefront - and thats what it really is - that is more robust and useful. As others have stated, it's growing harder to find apps and the current mechanisms to search for apps is not cutting it.
    zma15 likes this.
    05-05-12 01:44 AM
    I will upload the pictures soon.
    define "soon"?
    Spencerdl likes this.
    05-05-12 07:25 AM
    I would seller for just a crap filter
    05-05-12 07:45 AM
    define "soon"?
    OooooooKay we're still waiting for these so called pictures....
    05-05-12 07:58 AM
    ***Picture added ***
    05-05-12 08:33 AM
    That looks like the old AppWorld in PBOS 1.x.
    05-05-12 08:42 AM
    Why does everyone get a hard on for Skype...."omg i think i see something that looks like skype....."

THEN the haters come out and say "seeeeeeee RIM is dead if they dont have Netflix and RIM sucks blabla bla"

Then it repeats over and over again and CB forums become unreadable.

They said skype isnt coming and neither is netflix. Get over it and or move on. Ugh.

/end rant...moving on.
    05-05-12 08:44 AM
    Where did they say that Skype isn't coming?
    05-05-12 08:47 AM
    soon to the playbook. This new format looks awesome and in one of the pictures, there is a Twitter app on the front page
    ( looks like a native app ). There is also a small app icon that looks like it could be Skype. The new format also has 5 tabs on the top instead of 4 due to the blurry image. I will upload the pictures soon.

Click to view quoted image
    Same App World version as OS 1.0.x, and I think that was the old picture they had for the Tweetbook application.
    05-05-12 09:09 AM
    Omg that's just a dummy from the old time I'm sure.. They are least bothered with app world redesign.. Looks alright now doesn't it?
    05-05-12 09:22 AM
    That's not a native twitter that's probably tweetbook for 4.99 and I'm still looking for what looks like a skype icon but I can't find it.
    05-05-12 09:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD