Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By tx_ent
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default new app - Word Links

Since self-promotion appears to be acceptable here and you all seem like a civilized bunch, I'd like to draw some attention to my Android app "Word Links". It's a word game based on my original idea - not a rehashing of WwF, Scrabble, Boggle, or countless other letter-joining games.

It's an ad-free paid app, but you can take a no-commitment approach by first checking out the videos on the Word Links YouTube channel. Also, there's a "test drive" feature on the Amazon download page which allows you to try out the game in your browser. The emulator is nowhere near as responsive as a real device, but it can give you a decent feel for the game.

Thanks in advance for the consideration!
    Thanked by:
    Hawkeberry (03-13-2012) 
    Rob Robertson and Kingkracker like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

App looks great! I will be buying it. Thanks for bringing it to the Playbook.
    Zeus 30, Zeus 10, Blackberry Bold 9930, Playbook 64GB

Classic Movies BBM Channel - C00121CA9

“There are three types of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics.” Benjamin Disraeli
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Awesome! Glad to hear it.

You know, maybe it would help if I also provided the App World Link.
    Thanked by:
    Rob Robertson (03-23-2012) 
    CrackBerry Master

I just watched the youtube video. The game looks interesting. My wife is a big world mole fan so I think she would like this too.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Thanks to all who have downloaded Word Links so far.

I'm presently working on an upgrade, to be released next month, which will have some new features and enhancements. I welcome any suggestions you may have - either reply to this thread or send them to wordlinksgame@gmail.com.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Default Word Links app update

The first review was posted on App World today. It was mainly positive, yet the poster raised two issues: (1) the timing seemed too short, and (2) the fact that new words appeared on a round retry was a little frustrating.

I really appreciate constructive criticism like this because I intend to keep improving the app. Since I'm working to finalize an upgrade release, I wondered if any of you who have downloaded Word Links have any suggestions of your own, particularly with regard to the timing.
    Last edited by tx_ent; 05-03-2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: typo
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

Cool app, will check when I'm home. I hope you intend to make this native
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Default Native vs. Android

Well, I was quite pleased to see how well this app (can't speak for others) ran on the PlayBook - that says a lot about the hardware and Android launcher.

Even so, I'm seriously thinking about a native port, considering some of the features I'm planning for later releases (head-to-head play, etc.).
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

I'd like to see scoreloop implemented
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Default Social gaming

Thanks for the feedback!

Scoreloop is definitely on the radar, along with OpenFeint. I'm also looking into direct head-to-head play via Bluetooth/Wifi.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Default New version - 12.1

An upgrade, version 12.1, is now available for download. It adds hundreds of new words, as well as some other enhancements.

These are features I wanted to push out ASAP while I continue to work on some more extensive mods. Please feel free to continue sending me suggestions.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Default Re: New version - 12.1

Since I'm not Apple, I don't mind leaking details about upcoming product releases. Here, then, are a few enhancements in the pipeline:

-User/game profiles, allowing you to save mutliple concurrent games (with different vocabulary levels, etc.) -and- enabling different players to use the same device
    -Head-to-head game play mode (pass back and forth) on a single device
    -Score-tracking
    -American or British spelling option
    -Colorblind option (i.e. alternative to red/green indicators)

Speaking of not being Apple, one of the challenges of being an independent developer is gaining visibility among much larger players. For this reason, I appeal for help from those of you who have downloaded and played Word Links. I would greatly appreciate any kind of online publicity you could provide - most importantly, positive reviews (4 or 5 stars) on the App World download page.

Many thanks!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Default New Word Links Update

Version 12.3 is now available for download from App World. The big feature addition is the American vs. British spelling option, found on the Configure screen. Also, an inconsistency in the "Assist" option has been remedied - you should now see a yellow indication if the word is valid but is blocking a complete solution (i.e. one if its component words should be used elsewhere). Here's an example:

moonlight | headbeam

headlight | moonbeam

As before, I'd appreciate any kind of positive reviews you could provide on App World. Thanks!