- 02-21-13, 08:54 PM #51
Re: New app: Think-4-U Music Player
Wondered why the update was taking so long to come through. Guess your right, they must be very busy with BB10. Still, they should still look after their user base!
Thanks for all your efforts. I'm sure it will all come to fruision very soon.
We've just completed this feature and have uploaded it for approval. We've been using it ourselves for the past few days in our testing and it's pretty neat :-) Sometimes I just load up the player just to see what's the new picture today :-) We've gesture enabled it : swipe up and the background art is enabled and swipe down to hide it. It will also remember the settings so for folks who want it off by default, it will remember that the next time the app is loaded.
Additionally, we've also added more functionality to the physical volume buttons: Long pressing the up volume will advance to next song/music video and long press down volume will go to the previous. This is most useful when you just want to quickly go to the next song without looking at the screen (maybe you've been playing for a while and the PlayBook has got into password mode).
Last edited by Bumble2000; 02-25-13 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Added screenshot of new feature
- 02-25-13, 03:06 AM #54
Re: New app: Think-4-U Music Player
As soon as I receive the updates, I will get back to you.
Even in its original form its still a cracking player. I use it all the time.
- 02-25-13, 02:17 PM #55
I need a player that simply remembers my spot in a Playlist even after closing the app or switching to another Playlist. Will this app do this? When listening to my own Playlists will the "Think" feature still be active and possibly change how the Playlist is played? Does the app support M3U playlists I have already created?
Think-4-U will remember the spot in a playlist upon app restart, but won't remember that spot when switching to another playlist. We don't currently support M3U playlists, but that is a really great feature suggestion. We're investigating this now.
In terms of the "Think" mode, this feature will observe and learn your preferences as you play your playlist (perhaps for some songs in your list, you only like just the first part of it). When you select the "Think" mode, it will mimic how it has observed and learned that you like to listen to your songs.
We've just completed coding the ability to read m3u playlists and will be testing it in the next few days. Additionally, we've completed coding the ability to create custom ordered playlists saved in m3u format.
The UI for this custom ordered playlist creation is attached. The workflow is the following:
- Use the instant global search feature to search across albums, song title, artists
- Drag and drop search list to the play list on the right
- Drag and drop the songs in the play list to re-arrange the order
There is no limit to how many of these playlists you can create. This will add to the existing playlists support (favorites, adaptive, folder, dynamic based on search results).
We're testing this also and making tweaks. When it is ready, we'll upload to BlackBerry.
Great news! We just received notification that V1.5 has been approved! You should see it within the next 24-hours. This is a very exciting release. Here's a summary of the improvements:
- Sleep-timer: Fall asleep to your favorite songs and have player turn off at the interval of your choosing
- Music videos: In addition to audio, supports music videos in all the format supported by the PlayBook including mp4, mov, m4v, etc...
- Flickr background: dynamically retrieves most interesting image of the day from the popular photo sharing site, Flickr.
- Long press physical volume key to advance to next song/video
- Supports folder.jpg album art
- Remembers and restores play mode
- Fix player stop in when there is bad duration metadata
- Support for m3u playlists
- Additional playlist management features (custom ordered playlist creation)
Special thanks to dangerousfen and FlagshipFighter for the excellent feedback and suggestions!
- CrackBerry User
03-04-13, 09:01 PM #59
- 47 Posts
Great, just got the update! Really looking forward to trying this out properly
Plus I was just about to esquire about the ability to use M3U playlist files, but it seems you're not only a step ahead but a step further (with the ability to create them on the tablet) which is FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!
So far, from what I have used in this new update, everything seems great and in working order, though I must say in regards to the flicker image, is there any way you could do it so that the image always fills the screen up entirely? So that there is no grey except for the control areas? Or perhaps even keep it as it is and show the image again behind it that completely fills the area again but blurred?
Very nit-picky I know, but I'm a design student and can't seem to unsee this sort of thing :-p I'll post a photoshop mockup if required, for now though I'll make a more thorough post after Thursday (got a deadline)
:-) Thanks again for the great work!
We've completed testing and have uploaded a new release to BlackBerry for approval. This release will include
- Playlist UI to create custom ordered playlists;
- Support for m3u playlists
- Bookmarking within a playlist.
- Full-screen mode for background art
Attached is a screenshot of the Playlist UI as we've tweaked it a bit ... Also, just for fun, we attached a screenshot of today's Flickr background art :-)
- CrackBerry Abuser
03-13-13, 12:48 PM #65
- 163 Posts
just got the update and its looking awesome. the playlist section not what I expected, it has blown my mind very descriptive and apparently very easy to create and modify playlist like drag and drop easy
- 03-13-13, 07:26 PM #67
Interesting observasion Derek, when playing through bluetooth to my Creative speakers the volume control on the player has no effect but the playbook volume controls do change the output volume on the Creative unit. Not really important but as I said, just an observation.
- CrackBerry User
03-15-13, 04:18 PM #68
- 47 Posts
I was super-suprised to see the update yesterday, it made my day! Love what you've done with the Flickr art filling the screen, thanks! Also, the playlist feature is fantastic! I'm using it to make Morning, Evening, Workout, etc playlists which is fantastic and is really simple to do! I've replaced the app over the stock player and now use it as my primary music playing device. It's excellent, I'm really loving it. I also love how you can now hid the UI when playing a song! Well done! You're really talented :-)
As always, during use, I've made a little list of a few suggested interface tweaks as well as feature I would REALLY love to see for the next update:
1. I love what's done with the Flickr art, and it really adds freshness to the UI everytime you open the app. I would like to see this taken a little further. For example, when you're on the go, most playbook owners would miss out on this due to the lack of 3G. So how about when you are offline, it loads images that are in a folder (maybe in the music or pictures folder called "t-4-u pictures") where you can place a load of images and the program will randomly pic one each time?
---Also, many people have playlist such as "workout", "gym", "morning", evening", "happy" etc. I would love it if you could assign a specific pic to a playlist when it is loaded each time (e.g. Morning.jpg for Morning.m3u) it would be amazing to see something like the safari sunset image for the "Evening playlist"
------So many of the Flickr images are cool, how about adding a menu option where if you like what is being shown, you can save it for offline use?
2. Could the playlist 'selector screen' be consistent with the tiles theme you have with the music and playlist options instead of the playbooks UI (e.g. it's also seen when select duration for sleep timer) I prefer your UI over the playbooks as there is more space for content and to select.
3. The playlist creator is FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC! I've noticed through using it that it is difficult to add music to the bottom of the playlist when you have filled the initial column. How about making a place in the UI so there is a spot for making sure that no matter how many songs you've got listed so far, you can always add it to the bottom easily. I'll demonstrate this by uploading a pic soon.
4. I'm not sure if this will be the best way to implement this, but how about a folder where you place stuff like audio books, ambient music, etc to which isn't considered music for the rest of the player, and isn't generally listed as such for when you listen to music, kinda similar to how you have set up music videos?
Because I'd like to have audiobooks and ambient music on my playbook, but I don't because I don't like it when I shuffle and then it comes on, it should be considered separate to music, though if you want to access it solely when you want to listen to it, you can. I reckon this will benefit your players ecosystem.
Thank you so much for your hard work, it genuinely makes me happy. I'm wondering, do you have a website for Bumblebee Computing to advertise your apps? They are really great and deserve to be showcased as such. Additionally I've already had more than my moneys worth with this app and would like to donate at some point for all the hard work you've put in this, and for any subsequent updates or something. I genuinely think that this is the best player I've ever used, and with music being an important aspect of my life, it's great to see a player which does justice in so many aspects. Also, where are you based?
Looking forward to your reply :-)
- I think the option for enabling/disabling the background art should be in the menu as the sleep function as help is, as that gesture occurs by accident frequently without intention (plus you can use that gesture for something else maybe?)
- Sometimes the physical control buttons at the top of the playbook don't always work? Is this a bug maybe?
Last edited by FlagshipFighter; 03-16-13 at 11:05 AM. Reason: updates
- 03-17-13, 01:08 AM #70
Finally got a chance to test this and unfortunately is was unable to read my playlists. My mp3s have spaces in the path so the paths are URL encoded with %20 for the spaces as I found that is what worked for the default music player. Is something you can fix or do I need to fix my playlists in some way?
Thank you very much for the awesome feedback! It is extremely well written. We can feel your energy and excitement -- in fact, after reading it, we really felt even more proud of all the improvements that were made in response to feedback from the Crackberry community. The app is immeasurably better since we first released it because of all the great suggestions from this community!
The suggestions you made are very do-able and in fact, we share the same preference for many of them. We will definitely consider them for future updates.
We agree that the Flickr toggle and among other things should be in the settings as well. We'll be working on a settings dialog.
About the physical buttons. We suspect it might be because multiple apps try to use the physical buttons or interference of some manner. We'll have to look into that a bit more.
@dangerousfen: Thanks for supporting us :-) We'll definitely need to pace ourselves in terms of what we can put in within what timeframe.
We're just completing testing of an update that we plan to upload to BlackBerry for approval in the next couple of days. Here are the improvements:
-Allows saving of Flickr background image to file
-Additional gesture control: control volume with swipe up/down (option controllable)
-Remembers last Flickr image and uses it if no Wifi connection. You will always have an flickr image, so no Wifi, no problem
-Fixed difficult to add music to the bottom of the playlist when you have filled the initial column
-Allows association of Flickr image with playlist (so you can assign Morning.jpg for Morning.m3u, etc :-)
-Improved slashscreen logo
This might be a good point to quickly summarize all the features of the app since we've come a long way since the original post:
Automatically learns how you listen to music such as your favorite songs and the favorite parts of the song (e.g. clips) and creates an adaptive playlist that mimics how you like to play music.
Intuitive gestures enable you to navigate through your music with ease: swipe left for next song; swipe right for previous; quickly scroll through list of your music library using a velocity sensitive flick gesture; single tap on viewing area to toggle play/pause.
- Create unlimited custom playlists with ease using a drag-and-drop interface
- Create playlist directly from a folder
- Quickly add songs to "My Favorites" playlist with one tap
- Create a dynamic playlist based on the search results
- Recognizes and plays .m3u playlists created from programs like iTunes
Wide variety of formats supported:
It supports a rich set audio formats including mp3, wma, wav, m4a, and aac.
For mp3s that have lyrics enabled, the lyrics will be displayed during song playback. This is great to sing-along to their favorite songs!
Parses mp3 and extracts album art if available.
Dynamically retrieves most interesting image of the day from the popular photo sharing site, Flickr
Instant global search
Provides you the ability to quickly search for the songs you are looking for across artist, song title, and album name. Use the results as a dynamic playlist!
Automatically resume the song you were playing in the playlist
Fall asleep to your favorite songs and have player turn off at the interval of your choosing
And ... it also plays music videos! in addition to audio, supports music videos in all the format supported by the PlayBook including mp4, mov, m4v, etc...
It's on sale for half-price at $0.99 US -- but the sale will be ending soon. Hope everyone is able to take advantage of this sale.
- 04-02-13, 01:07 AM #74
Finally acquired the app.
How do I get to the option to control vol with swipe up or down? When I tap the leftmost top icon, I get SleepTimer and Help. But pressing Help does not provide me an option or Initial Startup stuff. Of course, I might be missing something - I'm tired and it is late!
- By chadtatro in forum BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 4Last Post: 06-26-10, 10:20 AM
- By stark4 in forum Native BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 10Last Post: 05-01-10, 01:04 AM
- By wakefieldsoft in forum BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 0Last Post: 10-07-09, 04:15 PM
- By stark4 in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 09-28-09, 02:29 AM
- By stilldirrtyja in forum BlackBerry StormReplies: 2Last Post: 03-10-09, 12:09 PM