Last night I released a new app called "Open on Tablet". I had originally called it "Open on PlayBook" but apparently the term "PlayBook" can't be used in an app title.

The concept is simple: You're reading an article or watching a video on the web and want to open the page on your PlayBook to continue reading it on the couch or in bed, or you're heading out of the house, etc.

To use the app, you copy the URL into your clipboard on your PC, then start the "Open on Tablet" app on your PlayBook and hit "Open".

Hope you enjoy it! I've already found it handy to have. There's something fun about devices talking to each other and working in harmony.

Open on Tablet
    08-26-12 08:34 AM
    I have a request for version2: send to tablet by file type.. For example: if you're on your desktop and right-click an mp3 and sendto tablet, it'll know where to put it on the playbook. Same for a picture or movie or pdf. Will make the itunes folks jealous.

You'll need a service running on the playbook though. I'll pay for that for sure!
    08-26-12 09:02 AM
    Also requested for version 2: Mac support. Made the mistake of purchasing this before making sure it was Mac compatible
    Herve5 and MPG Vancouver like this.
    08-26-12 10:15 AM
    this sounds very cool getting my playbook in a couple of weeks cant wait.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    08-26-12 10:18 AM
    Also requested for version 2: Mac support. Made the mistake of purchasing this before making sure it was Mac compatible
    Ah shoot... I will add that to the product description. Send me an email for a refund.
    08-26-12 12:06 PM
    I have a request for version2: send to tablet by file type.. For example: if you're on your desktop and right-click an mp3 and sendto tablet, it'll know where to put it on the playbook. Same for a picture or movie or pdf. Will make the itunes folks jealous.

You'll need a service running on the playbook though. I'll pay for that for sure!
    Great ideas! I think that would make for a great app.

Too bad BB10 won't support background apps at launch. Hopefully at some point. It could still work by requiring the user to open the app on the PlayBook first, and then being able to do the same right-click stuff that you suggest. I've never made Windows apps that add things to the "Send To" right click menu, but it's probably not hard.
    08-27-12 08:00 AM
    To use the app, you copy the URL into your clipboard on your PC, then start the "Open on Tablet" app on your PlayBook and hit "Open".
    Thanks for writing the app I've been wanting to write for a long time lol
    Now if it could go 2-way that'd be even better.

Copy to "clip board" on the playbook, then "Open on PC"
    Because you may be reading something in the kitchen while having your morning cup of Java, then you walk over to your computer but you don't feel like Emailing yourself the link of the site you're currently viewing...
    08-27-12 08:16 AM
    Sent the email, waiting for it.
    08-27-12 09:09 AM
    Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly, there is a PC side app you need to install also? Or how else will this work? Does it just work through our LAN/WIFI/BT connection? I'm not quite sure I'm understanding what's going on here. Maybe I don't need to of course if it works. But I like to know these sort of things. Great concept, just like the Open on PlayBook command that comes with the bridge and is used with our phones, which is probably why you could not use the name.
    08-27-12 11:12 AM
    Is this something like the app StreamingNow?
    08-27-12 12:10 PM
    Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly, there is a PC side app you need to install also? Or how else will this work? Does it just work through our LAN/WIFI/BT connection? I'm not quite sure I'm understanding what's going on here. Maybe I don't need to of course if it works. But I like to know these sort of things. Great concept, just like the Open on PlayBook command that comes with the bridge and is used with our phones, which is probably why you could not use the name.
    Yes, there is a PC component:

Sync

At some point I realized that the phone functionality was probably called "Open on PlayBook", so yup, that makes more sense now
    08-27-12 01:30 PM
    Thanks for writing the app I've been wanting to write for a long time lol

Because you may be reading something in the kitchen while having your morning cup of Java, then you walk over to your computer but you don't feel like Emailing yourself the link of the site you're currently viewing...
    Interesting thought... to be able to go in either direction. I'll think about it
    08-28-12 09:22 PM
    Interesting thought... to be able to go in either direction. I'll think about it
    YES both ways please. Also allow Mac Support, and lastly if possible have the option to function via Bluetooth
    08-29-12 03:48 PM
    YES both ways please. Also allow Mac Support, and lastly if possible have the option to function via Bluetooth
    Yes, it would be great to get my apps like Send to PC, Print, and Open on Tablet working for Mac. I've always wanted to add Google Analytics to my iTunes Sync download page to see how many users are PC and how many are Mac. I wonder what percentage of PlayBook users are Mac? Maybe 20%?
    08-30-12 07:55 AM
    (...)
    Dukto does this both ways, on PB, mac, PC, and linux, for text, clipboard contents, files or folders. It won't go up to opening an url though. Free.

I wonder what percentage of PlayBook users are Mac? Maybe 20%?
    I am one. I have been using macs for dozens of years out of fear from the monopoly; as concerns tablets I obviously couldn't decide for an iPad for the very same reason, and similarly I fear Google (maybe more than Apple), so Playbook was an obvious solution as soon as it became useable, which for me is: ad-free (thanks to SimpleBrowser).

Speaking of which, I am really baffled here seeing everyone's obsession towards Google agendas, Google mail, Google RSS, etc. An obsession that seems to be shared between RIM and its end-users.
    Come on... don't run from Scylla to Charybdis
    Last edited by Herve5; 08-30-12 at 08:21 AM.
    08-30-12 08:11 AM
    Dukto does this both ways, on PB, mac, PC, and linux, for text, clipboard contents, files or folders. It won't go up to opening an url though. Free.
    Thank you!
    08-30-12 08:18 AM
    Yes, it would be great to get my apps like Send to PC, Print, and Open on Tablet working for Mac. I've always wanted to add Google Analytics to my iTunes Sync download page to see how many users are PC and how many are Mac. I wonder what percentage of PlayBook users are Mac? Maybe 20%?
    Not sure, it might be higher than you think. Windows does very well in enterprise sales, but Apple's share of the retail computer market is surprisingly high. I own both Mac and Windows computers hut I use the Mac 90% of the time. To me for an app like this to be useful, it has to work on Mac and iOS, and other platforms (Windows, PlayBook, Android) are pluses.
    Last edited by bdegrande; 08-30-12 at 08:59 AM.
    08-30-12 08:57 AM
    Not sure, it might be higher than you think. Windows does very well in enterprise sales, but Apple's share of the retail computer market is surprisingly high. I own both Mac and Windows computers hut I use the Mac 90% of the time. To me for an app like this to be useful, it has to work on Mac and iOS, and other platforms (Windows, PlayBook, Android) are pluses.
    Yes, it might be higher... ok, I've outfitted my download pages with Google analytics, so in a week or so I'll have a sense of what the split is. iTunes Sync is both a phone app and PlayBook app, so the Mac/Windows data will be a combination, although I'm not sure if the split would be a whole lot different for phone users VS PlayBook users.

One question: Why would this app need to work with iOS for it to be useful to you, if you own a PlayBook?
    08-31-12 06:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD