Hi everyone,

Here's a new native PB app called AutoPlay Videos.

- Provides the ability to automatically play videos one after another
    - Supports all the video formats as the builtin Videos app;
    - Provides the ability to search through your files and create a dynamic playlist based on the results that can be autoplayed
    - Has a built-in "My favorites" playlist that you can quickly add videos to and play in continuous mode

I hope you try it and like it. If you like it, please support this app by adding a review :-) If you have comments or suggestions for new features, please let me know!

Special thanks to F2 for the original idea that sparked the development of this app.
    08-20-12 11:31 PM
    I will repost my edited response in the main forum.

First - NICE work.

Okay, I really don't need it but I will be the first on my block to purchase it. It could be useful and supporting a developer of an app that many have asked for seems reasonable.

Installed.

Okay, question or two. Can I create and save different playlists? Do I have to press the button next to the Heart+ to actually run the playlist (pl)? I just quickly added 4 short videos but only the first played?

I will leave the questions but I pressed the "chasing arrows symbol" and the list is playing. NICE.

I will save the review for a bit since I don't want to get anything wrong or premature.

Oh, I just noticed my "name" in the above - well, thank you for creating it! That was not mentioned in the other thread!
    Bumble2000 likes this.
    08-21-12 12:42 AM
    Thanks for your support F2!

For your questions: Yes, the button next to the Heart+ is the autoplay button. When you press it, it will turn green to indicate that it is turned on and autoplay mode is enabled for continuous play.

Currently the app provides the ability to add videos to the built-in 'My Favorites' list; dynamically play from the results from search; as well built-in list for 'All', 'Downloads','Camera', 'Videos' (corresponding to files in those shared directories). It doesn't yet support saving of additional custom playlists. This is something that I'd like to include for the next release as well as other features suggestions from community feedback on the initial release :-)
    08-21-12 07:32 AM
    Hi,

The app seems great.
    One question : does it support subtitles ?

Thanks.
    08-22-12 04:36 PM
    Will this app play all episodes of a tv series in the correct order (S01E01,2,3,4...S02E01,2...) and into the next season? Is this how a dynamic playlist would play if I searched for "Lost", as an example?
    Bumble2000 likes this.
    08-22-12 05:49 PM
    Hi,

The app seems great.
    One question : does it support subtitles ?

Thanks.
    I was going to try answering the question but for some reason, my Foreign Film folder was NOT on my pb. I'm copying it now but it is expected to take 25 minutes. But I have a feeling that it does not support subtitles. I use MovieSRTPlayer for that. So you have a lot of short films with subtitles that you want in a playlist?
    08-22-12 07:44 PM
    I'll create a separate reply.

I copied those two foreign films to the pb. But this app does not see them. So there may be a bug. The native video player does show them.

Does this app re-index all videos each time it is opened?
    08-22-12 08:30 PM
    I was going to try answering the question but for some reason, my Foreign Film folder was NOT on my pb. I'm copying it now but it is expected to take 25 minutes. But I have a feeling that it does not support subtitles. I use MovieSRTPlayer for that. So you have a lot of short films with subtitles that you want in a playlist?
    Well, English is not my first language. So sometimes subs come in handy when there's fast talking and technical terms in movies or series. (For example, right now I'm watching the first season of Homeland. And, w/o subs, I sometimes miss information from the dialogs. )

So I'm just waiting for an app that can read srt files and plays all the video formats. If, on top of that, it can create playlists and has a search function, then that'd be a near perfect video app.

Thanks for checking it out for me. Now we'll see with that bug...
    08-23-12 12:48 PM
    I guess I should send that potential bug report to the support contact.
    08-23-12 08:13 PM
    I'll create a separate reply.

I copied those two foreign films to the pb. But this app does not see them. So there may be a bug. The native video player does show them.

Does this app re-index all videos each time it is opened?
    Hi F2,

Yes, the app re-index all videos each time it is opened. I fixed a bug yesterday where it was indexing the downloads, videos, camera directories (which I believe would be the most common places for videos). I included additional shared directories such as music and documents. The release was approved just now :-), so you should see an update soon on your PB. If you don't mind, could you try it again and email me ([email protected]) if this doesn't fix the problem.

Also in this update, I've already incorporated some of your feedback
    - Improved the UI look by darkening the title bar to blend better with the player area
    - Set the 'autoplay' function to be selected by default
    - Also the skip-ahead function can be used by moving the slider bar.

@angkorbeer: Unfortunately, AutoPlay Videos doesn't support subtitles.

Derek.
    Last edited by Bumble2000; 08-24-12 at 06:17 AM.
    08-23-12 11:55 PM
    Well, I just sent an email so ....

I have my videos in subfolders under Video and the original ones in

Video
    Tv
    Trips
    Movies

Do show. The new ones were added to a folder called "Foreign Films" - two words and a space character. I don't know if that upsets anything. A few videos assoc with my digital camera are located in some of my "photo albums" only because I copied all the files, mostly jpgs but the occasional video taken with my digital camera are included.

I think I also have lost the Search function. When I type something in, I just see a white screen at that location. Still like the app.

edited to add: I'm on the official .328 OS

Further edited to add: Grabbed the newest a bit ago. Those videos are still not showing and Search is still broken. On Search, Press that box, type in a "term" and press the Search key? Nothing shows.
    Last edited by F2; 08-24-12 at 11:22 AM.
    Bumble2000 likes this.
    08-24-12 12:18 AM
    Thanks very much F2 for emailing me the details and your help in providing details to help determine the issue! (I greatly appreciate your time and helpfulness! ).

For the search, we determined that the app was designed for case sensitive search. By taking this into account, the search works. Will consider adding an option in a future to release to enable/disable case sensitivity.

For the not found videos issue, I've incorporated additional directories from /shared (previously it was looking for only the standard places). This is now available in version 2.1 in app world.

@Dentynefire: "Will this app play all episodes of a tv series in the correct order (S01E01,2,3,4...S02E01,2...) and into the next season? Is this how a dynamic playlist would play if I searched for "Lost", as an example? "

It does now! v2.1 in app world now has this enabled. Thank you very much for the awesome idea!

Additionally, I've added a repeat once mode in V2.1.

Working now on V3.0 where I'm going to add support for local flash videos (flv files). If anyone is interested in beta testing this feature, please email me at [email protected]. I'll send a bar file to you when the feature is ready for testing.

Feature ideas on deck (will prioritize based on interest from community)
    - Bookmarking
    - Shuffle mode
    - <others welcomed!> ...

Derek.
    08-30-12 04:39 PM
    Glad to help. Mentioned earlier - more than one playlist?

Got the new version.

Those two elusive videos remain elusive. So very odd.

I think the ALL is showing a number of videos multiple times???
    08-30-12 08:11 PM
    Hi F2,

more than one playlist?...will add that to list..

Those two elusive videos remain elusive. So very odd.
    Yup, very strange :-). I'll contact the dev for moviesrtplayer. it looks like this might be an os issue that he has found a workaround for.

I think you mentioned earlier in this thread that have your originals in a seperate folder and a copy in the videos folder. I wonder if it may be related to that :-) (the app doesn't try to eliminate duplicate names in the list as there are cases where the same file name can actually be refering to different content)

Derek.
    Last edited by Bumble2000; 08-31-12 at 12:18 AM.
    harist3a likes this.
    08-30-12 08:42 PM
    Cool! Bumble2000 I have high expectations for this app when we eventually get usb OTG! So that's is my suggestion for when we get that functionality from BB (connecting up my NAS). Nothing like wasting a day binging on TV lol

You have bookmarks but what about auto-remember where you left off? If you close the app will it launch again where you left it? Thanks for all your work!!!
    08-31-12 08:52 AM
    Just got it. Looks good will use for a day or 2 and get back on it.
    Bumble2000 likes this.
    08-31-12 05:00 PM
    Cool! Bumble2000 I have high expectations for this app when we eventually get usb OTG! So that's is my suggestion for when we get that functionality from BB (connecting up my NAS). Nothing like wasting a day binging on TV lol

You have bookmarks but what about auto-remember where you left off? If you close the app will it launch again where you left it? Thanks for all your work!!!
    Thanks very much dentynefire! I think the auto-remember is a great feature suggestion..neat theme emerging: autoplay, auto playlist (via search results) and with your new suggestion auto remember. very cool.

I like also your forward thinking idea of the usages in the future with new bb features enabled. nice.

@mr. canada thanks very much for trying the app out. your support is appreciated! if you like it, adding a good review will help support development of new features.

@all...the flash video feature I mentioned is now ready for beta test (just finsihed debugging a memory leak today)...I think it's pretty neat (but that's like the chef saying his cooking is good :-)...I think it is true though that it may be unique with both the ability to play all the formats as the native player AND play flv together (ie you can autoplay a list of files with mix of mp4, mov, flv, etc...). if you would like to beta test this, please send me a note at [email protected]. I would appreciate your help :-)

derek.
    Last edited by Bumble2000; 09-02-12 at 03:02 AM.
    09-01-12 10:48 PM
    Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that v2.5.2 of AutoPlay Videos is now available. I've included a screenshot of the updated app.

Highlights:
    - Auto-bookmarking : automatically remembers where you left off in the video, so you don't have to. (thanks dentynefire for the suggestion)
    - Shuffle mode (thanks to F2 for the suggestion)
    - Enablement of .m4v files (can now recognize and play non-DRM .m4v files)
    - Updated UI (improved look of icons, large slider for navigating within the video, simplified menu)
    - Updated search feature to make it case insensitive
    - Fixed bug with timing of autoplay with small mp4 files plugged into TV

I hope you try it and like it :-), if you do, your support of writing a good review would be greatly appreciated.

@angkorbeer: I've figured out how to do SRT subtitles. That is in the pipeline. Hopefully once that is implemented it will get closer to the challenge of 'a near perfect video app' ;-)

@Mr. Canada: Could you give this update a try and let me know what you think?
    Last edited by Bumble2000; 09-24-12 at 07:05 PM.
    09-24-12 05:53 PM
    Ok, you got me, I bought it.
    Bumble2000 likes this.
    09-24-12 06:15 PM
    Sounds really good. And YOU get the credit for developing the app in the first place and then keeping on top of bettering it.

Thanks
    Bumble2000 likes this.
    09-24-12 07:15 PM
    Hi everyone,

We are pleased to announce the release of v2.6.1 now available in App World. This is a particularly exciting release because there are three very cool features:
    1. Auto-remember location upon app-restart
    AutoPlay will automatically get you back to the same place in your video when you closed the app. This is especially useful for watching movies. Never again go through the hassle of scrolling through and wondering where you left off. AutoPlay will automatically remember for you (thanks to dentynefire for this feature suggestion. it is indeed a great idea!)

2. Gesture support for video navigation
    What's more intuitive than using swipe gestures to move from one video to another? AutoPlay now understands swipe gestures and responds as you would expect in both full-screen mode as well as small-screen mode. (Aside: While developing and testing with gestures, we saw how the PlayBook responds with rapid request to switch videos and auto-seek to the auto-bookmark. The observed performance on mp4s several hundreds of MB was insanely smooth -- kudos to RIM!)

Additionally, AutoPlay allows you to use the flick gesture on the video selection view on the left to quickly scroll through your videos. This gesture is velocity sensitive, so faster flicks will move the list faster.

3. Allow entire viewing area to toggle Play/Pause
    AutoPlay now recognizes a single-tap on the viewing area as a toggle between Play/Pause and double-tap as toggle full-screen. This makes it really easy to pause/play a video quickly (when interrupted, for example, by a phone call) without fumbling for the Play/Pause button.

More features are in the pipeline including SRT support requested by angkorbeer, but since this feature set is ready we thought it would be good to release it now.

We hope you enjoy this feature set. We truly enjoyed developing it.

Sincerely,
    Bumblebee Computing
    FF22 and anon(3641385) like this.
    10-10-12 02:13 AM
    Hi everyone,

We are pleased to announce the release of v2.6.1 now available in App World. This is a particularly exciting release because there are three very cool features:
    1. Auto-remember location upon app-restart
    AutoPlay will automatically get you back to the same place in your video when you closed the app. This is especially useful for watching movies. Never again go through the hassle of scrolling through and wondering where you left off. AutoPlay will automatically remember for you (thanks to dentynefire for this feature suggestion. it is indeed a great idea!)

2. Gesture support for video navigation
    What's more intuitive than using swipe gestures to move from one video to another? AutoPlay now understands swipe gestures and responds as you would expect in both full-screen mode as well as small-screen mode. (Aside: While developing and testing with gestures, we saw how the PlayBook responds with rapid request to switch videos and auto-seek to the auto-bookmark. The observed performance on mp4s several hundreds of MB was insanely smooth -- kudos to RIM!)

Additionally, AutoPlay allows you to use the flick gesture on the video selection view on the left to quickly scroll through your videos. This gesture is velocity sensitive, so faster flicks will move the list faster.

3. Allow entire viewing area to toggle Play/Pause
    AutoPlay now recognizes a single-tap on the viewing area as a toggle between Play/Pause and double-tap as toggle full-screen. This makes it really easy to pause/play a video quickly (when interrupted, for example, by a phone call) without fumbling for the Play/Pause button.

More features are in the pipeline including SRT support requested by angkorbeer, but since this feature set is ready we thought it would be good to release it now.

We hope you enjoy this feature set. We truly enjoyed developing it.

Sincerely,
    Bumblebee Computing
    Sounding more than terrific. Thanks for adding new features to an already unique app.
    Bumble2000 likes this.
    10-10-12 04:59 PM
    One feature I'd like to see is folder support, if I have an entire series in one folder I don't always want to have to scroll past them to get to something at the bottom!

But looks like a very nice app.
    Bumble2000 likes this.
    10-17-12 05:54 AM
    Does this support FLV? Otherwise, I have to convert FLV's to F4V's .
    10-17-12 08:27 AM
    One feature I'd like to see is folder support, if I have an entire series in one folder I don't always want to have to scroll past them to get to something at the bottom!

But looks like a very nice app.
    The developer has hard coded All, Camera, Download, and Videos folders right now

I also have a mixed series folder. You could search for your series/videos as you don't even need to type the whole name out just search the first letter and it can order that way too. What I do with Breaking Bad is search: bad s05 and select the episode in season 5! No scrolling or looking around. Whats nice is if you just shut down the app and later reopen it the search results AND video are still as you left it. Thanks Bumblebee for this!
    Bumble2000 likes this.
    10-17-12 10:18 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD