We saw a couple screen shots of twitter and OS 2.0 that leaked out recently, what are the chances of us downloading OS 2.0 and having the netlflix or Skype app as part of the download? Mike L did state they are workign with companies to bring a better consumer experience to the pb.

Kevin, any chance they gave you a clue during your visit.
    09-16-11 12:59 PM
    Or by chance does "enhanced browsing" mean Silverlight?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-11 01:01 PM
    would be ok for us early adopters, but for regular consumers that is not enough! they need APPS, APPS, APPS.

apps for everything!
    09-16-11 01:07 PM
    RIM has no say when or if Netflix and/or Skype with have an app for the PlayBook. There have been a number of threads on these 2 app from the beginning indicating that Skype, Netflix and others are not going to put the resources into an app until they see enough users. According the recent figures only 700,000 PlayBook's have been sold and that might not be enough yet for them. However with the release of OS2 and price incentives the last quarter of 2011 could show a dramatic increase in those numbers. I think there are a lot of non BlackBerry people interested in the PlayBook but until the native apps are released they are holding off.
    09-16-11 01:46 PM
    We saw a couple screen shots of twitter and OS 2.0 that leaked out recently...
    I don't think you really did.

The only "2.0" screenshots anyone has posted lately have been ones dated from September 27, 2010 (last year!) when the thing was first announced.

Unless I missed something.

Here's a rule of thumb: if it's got some funky green grass or an artichoke heart as the wallpaper, it's from before about February 2011...
    09-16-11 01:55 PM
    Rim has no say in any 3rd party app and when it comes to the PB. They had the idea of goign to EA and producing Need for Speed, they got slacker, they got fb?

Point is, they are big enough that they could of if they wanted. I'm not even saying netflix is that great! I personally think it's selection is dated and they are constantly losing contracts and with that, losing steaming choices, but right now IMO it's about perception and some big named apps would help.

the two biggest apps taht are constantly brought up are skype and netflix. As i stated before in another thread, stop kidding yourselves and bring the apps, wahtever it takes!!!

I don't think you really did.

The only "2.0" screenshots anyone has posted lately have been ones dated from September 27, 2010 (last year!) when the thing was first announced.

Unless I missed something.

Here's a rule of thumb: if it's got some funky green grass or an artichoke heart as the wallpaper, it's from before about February 2011...
    BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 screenshots leak, reaffirm BES revamp

this is what was going around in this forum and all over the net. Not sure the authenticity of this.
    09-16-11 01:56 PM
    All Netflix has to do is stream via Flash and be done with it. Native app would be nice, but flash would do.
    09-16-11 02:34 PM
    Rim has no say in any 3rd party app and when it comes to the PB. They had the idea of goign to EA and producing Need for Speed, they got slacker, they got fb?

Point is, they are big enough that they could of if they wanted. I'm not even saying netflix is that great! I personally think it's selection is dated and they are constantly losing contracts and with that, losing steaming choices, but right now IMO it's about perception and some big named apps would help.

the two biggest apps taht are constantly brought up are skype and netflix. As i stated before in another thread, stop kidding yourselves and bring the apps, wahtever it takes!!!
    This is true. RIM cannot control it but they can for relationships and get apps to the Playbook, in fact that is what they should've done with more companies.

09-16-11 04:23 PM
    BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 screenshots leak, reaffirm BES revamp

this is what was going around in this forum and all over the net. Not sure the authenticity of this.
    Ah, those ones... when you said "recently" I was thinking just in the last two days, when the "OS 2.0" screenshots which were NOT OS 2.0 screenshots showed up. (The ones with the artichoke wallpaper, from a year ago.)

The ones at the link you gave are, I believe, pretty authentic.

But I don't think it means we'll have Skype or Netflix this time around anyway. I hope I'm wrong, since I miss having Skype on there, but on the other hand the way Skype works (with the peer-to-peer stuff constantly sucking up CPU and memory on my PC), I'm not convinced I'd actually want it on my mobile device much of the time...
    09-19-11 10:47 AM
    rim can subsidize the development of apps that are determined to be critical to the success of the platform. i would consider dropbox, netflix, proper twitter client, and a cross platform video chat client to be mission critical for the success of any platform.
    Last edited by zinadork; 09-26-11 at 01:00 PM.
    09-26-11 12:57 PM
    I think those waiting for netflix on PB will be dissappointed. Rim announced their own movie service they're getting ready for OS2. Like I've said in other threads Androids tablets with Netflix aren't exactly flying off the shelves.
    09-26-11 06:16 PM
    I have a Chromebook and they have Netflix in HTML5 because they agreed to the drm that Netflix required. i dont see why RIM would be any different.
    09-26-11 07:35 PM
    another reason to leave netflix and use amazon prime. I would prefer netflix, amazon is a bit glitchy still and still needs to upgrade thier library. They just got a fox contract however.
    09-28-11 06:07 AM
    With amazon releasing their own tab will they be blocking others? I would think not as it's still $$ in their wallets all though others seem to have done this.
    09-28-11 07:52 AM
    rim can subsidize the development of apps that are determined to be critical to the success of the platform. i would consider dropbox, netflix, proper twitter client, and a cross platform video chat client to be mission critical for the success of any platform.
    Agreed

I think those waiting for netflix on PB will be dissappointed. Rim announced their own movie service they're getting ready for OS2. Like I've said in other threads Androids tablets with Netflix aren't exactly flying off the shelves.
    But RIM needs the Playbook to succeed way more than Google needs the same for those Android tabs. Comparing performance is a tad useless. PB needs to be, at the very least, just as much of a device as they are.

With amazon releasing their own tab will they be blocking others? I would think not as it's still $$ in their wallets all though others seem to have done this.
    Amazon is even more profit-driven than Google. They will put there resources into ANYTHING that can bring them money. They won't be blocking others. Ever.
    Malachi.2.15 likes this.
    09-28-11 09:06 AM
    i think RIM does have say in what apps make it to their platform.....they just have to throw money at developers. Its a win win situation. Afterall RIM is sitting on billions of profit dollars. Just pay Skype or Netflix....problem solved.
    09-29-11 11:12 PM
    i think RIM does have say in what apps make it to their platform.....they just have to throw money at developers. Its a win win situation. Afterall RIM is sitting on billions of profit dollars. Just pay Skype or Netflix....problem solved.
    Right? It seems like that would be the way to go

09-30-11 10:37 AM
    RIM seems to be stuck in a vicious circle.
    "Hey guys we need cool apps for our new tablet thing!"
    "Sorry bro, we're not make cool apps until you have a lot of users"
    "We're not gonna have a lot of users until we get your cool apps!"

It's almost comical.
    09-30-11 01:48 PM
    not many services out there that let you pay a premium and have access to a whole library. Although Amazon works fine on the on the pb, you still have to pay for each movie or episode of a tv show. Thier free prime streaming is useless becuase the free library of moves is worse than what netflix offers. Atleast netflix lets you pay a monthly price for a good variety of tv shows. point is, they need a netflix until a service comes out that lets you stream a whole library of movies and tv shows for a monthly cost.
    09-30-11 06:27 PM
    My assumption is the PlayBook won't be compatible with Netflix until they decide to fully transition to HTML5 from Silverlight (which they are in the early stages of doing), or until Mike and Jim write Netflix a small check to get an app developed-- which I think we all can safely conclude won't be happening. So that's that...
    Last edited by bulls2213; 10-03-11 at 01:07 AM.
    10-03-11 01:05 AM
    While I still wait in hopes that Netflix and Skype will bring their services to the PB community, I don't see it being likely at least until OS 2.0 is out. I think they're looking at the number of PB users, and it's not enough to interest them, so why put the resources into making an app, when they can just wait until OS 2.0 comes out and see if the Android Player will remedy the problem itself?

And then probably down the line if the demand for a native QNX app does become large enough we'll probably see one then...

Sigh*
    12-30-11 02:55 PM
    Skype has said outright just like amazon that the PB is not a strong enough competitor to have the app on them. When they have enough traction in their sells and followings then they will start to consider putting it on it...as for Netflix i thinks its more of software issue with the PB then the company saying no, bit I'm not 100% on that one.
    12-30-11 05:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD