Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default "Netflix is immediately available on Nintendo's Wii U" Why not on PB?

The Wii U has been out for how long? And the PB has been available for how long?
    I know BB10 is coming and resources have to be focused on that. Its just frustrating looking at the "New Releases" in the app store and seeing useless apps.

Netflix is immediately available on Nintendo's Wii U | Internet & Media - CNET News
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,019 Global Posts

Nintendo has a history with Netflix. The original Wii had netflix and had a high useage rate (being connected to a TV and all).
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,655 Global Posts

And the Wii actually has a sales volume

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Much like RIM learned about their lack of apps, Nintendo learned from their lack of 3rd party support. Video game console manufacturers make their money more from the software than the hardware while RIM makes their money probably from hardware which is sold by software. Nintendo and RIM are similar in the sense that they both understand the need for 3rd party support.

As for Netflix, it is a bit different. WiiU will be selling out almost immediately, it is hyped up and came out at the perfect time. It has the amount of users that Netflix wants in a platform whereas the PB did not. BB10 will allow for a larger audience simply by combining phone users and tablets users to the same RIM pool and will probably increase their overall users. Netflix wants users, Netflix wants marketing competent companies to showcase their hardware that has Netflix support (much like Android gets free marketing from hardware companies that have their OS installed), and at this point Netflix and other big companies will not support an OS that will be obsolete in a few months.

In the end it is about business. Game consoles are hooked up to the TV 24/7, a main entertainment hub, have fairly competent marketing to piggy back on, and has the numbers for users (or projected numbers in the case of the WiiU). Phones/tablets are entertainment devices to a less extent and RIM has horrible marketing so its users base matters.
    Thanked by:
    Syrous44 (11-29-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts

our smartpnones are becoming a tool for media consumption. without the likes of netflix, bb10 will be doa
    rickster21 and ralfyguy like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?

Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    our smartpnones are becoming a tool for media consumption. without the likes of netflix, bb10 will be doa
    Netflix is a service only available to the USA, how the can you say it will be doa without it?

Sent from my Nintendo NES
    Thanks For Reading My Post
    BerryClever likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

To a point it is a tool for media consumption, but I doubt Netflix is a big part of it. With the exception of a long travel, people will use their Netflix on their TVs. Skype (that I don't use) would be a more understandable need for BB10. Sure mobile platforms are tools for media consumption, but not ALL media consumption, just like TVs are tools for media consumption but falls short when it comes to tools like using TV apps for checking Twitter or Facebook.

To say that BB10 (or any mobile platform) would be DOA if it didn't have apps for internet browsing, Twitter, Facebook, etc -or even Skype- would be understandable,, but to say it would be DOA because of Netflix (a streaming service that needs WiFi access or a large data plan) would be stretching it and is a huge exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by ichat View Post
    Netflix is a service only available to the USA, how the can you say it will be doa without it?

It is also available in Canada, though friends say it is crap because of the selection. But you probably meant that too but trying to type it on the old NES controller must have been hard. Props for that!
    Thanked by:
    Syrous44 (11-29-2012) 
    ichat and Kandoo-BB like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    PIN
    non ya fn

BlackBerry10 will have playon with playon you have access to Netflix huluplus and a ton of other channels programs etc....Netflix won't be an issue with BlackBerry10.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?

And are you implying that we use illegal websites on a totally legal website and that you support the piration of another persons work? If yes, please, you shouldn't be here

Thanks For Reading My Post
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,060 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ichat View Post
    And are you implying that we use illegal websites on a totally legal website and that you support the piration of another persons work? If yes, please, you shouldn't be here

It's not up to us to enforce whether a site is in violation of piracy. There are agencies to determine that. These aren't sites that require any special effort to have access to them or to the content.
    BB10 Powered by QNX RTOS.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

What I find most amusing about this post is not that anyone would question Why every other piece of hardware that is released seems to come with the two apps that seem to be the biggest gripe about the Beloved PlayBook, but rather that some people on these forums actually lie and say "I don't use Skype or Netflix"... Come on now. Almost everyone does. My 10 year old uses Skype to chat with his Minecraft friends and my 8 year old can navigate through Netflix like it's nobody's business.

Stop deceiving yourselves... We all know want these two apps along with a better Facebook app and Real Quality Native BlackBerry apps. It's simple. Even with all the bleeding that Nintendo is suffering through, they listen to what people want and make sure it's there. BB10 is supposed to be the Savior of all things RIM. Let's see... I've given up on selling my PlayBook because I use it to watch Amazon Prime. However, When Amazon releases an Android version of the app, it will surely be downloaded on to my awesome Google Nexus 7 that I bought myself as an early Christmas gift... I'm learning to use my PlayBook more for work and less for "Play"...

At least I'm honest about it... I want Skype, or Messenger services that will work across platform and YES!!! I would like to have Netflix on my PlayBook. Thanks! I'm CDC And I approve this message!
    "If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves" - Thomas Edison
    http://www.carlos-delcampo.com
    rickster21 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,019 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ralfyguy View Post
    And the Wii actually has a sales volume
    If it were purely based upon that, BBOS would have a netflix client. Doesn't make any sense that Windows Phone has and BBOS doesn't, given one user base is like 10 times the size of the other.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts
    PIN
    Pin:s & Needle:s

Quote Originally Posted by cdelcampo216 View Post
    What I find most amusing about this post is not that anyone would question Why every other piece of hardware that is released seems to come with the two apps that seem to be the biggest gripe about the Beloved PlayBook, but rather that some people on these forums actually lie and say "I don't use Skype or Netflix"... Come on now. Almost everyone does. My 10 year old uses Skype to chat with his Minecraft friends and my 8 year old can navigate through Netflix like it's nobody's business.

Stop deceiving yourselves...
    My two cents....

I have been using computers and cell phones since the mid 90s and have never once purchased either without thoroughly researching its strengths and weaknesses. What boggles my mind is how many people purchase a device, only to latter complain about its short-comings.

As to Netflix. I did not buy a big screen tv to watch semi-recent Netflix Canada movies on my Playbook's 7" screen. And as far as Skype, it is loaded on 2 of my computers, but I have never opened it or used it. I must be an anomaly or I must me lying to myself.
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    kbz1960 and BerryClever like this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

I would imagine that it is due to it the Wii (or other game console) being many people's main connection to NetFlix. it will actually drive people to subscribe to Netflix, unlike the PlayBook which is more of an auxiliary way to watch for people that already have a subscription. I'm sure there are exceptions, but it's probably a small group.

And CDC, the closest thing to "lying" I see is you thinking you are representing and speak for "us", like there is a consensus among PlayBook owners. Get over it, your experience is ONLY that, YOUR experience.
    They talk about me like a dog, talkin' about the clothes I wear
    But they don't realize they're the ones who's square.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,856 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

Skype and Netflix wasn't /isn't a deal breaker for me, if it is for you then you should get a cheap 200$ tablet like a nexus or a Kindle. I found Kindle to be more unstable than OS's on Playbook before 2.0 I haven't used a Nexus yet but I will try one out soon. For me the Nexus just isn't very nice to look at...to be frank I think it's ugly. After I get BlackBerry10 on Playbook ill decide what tablet to get next or decide that I don't need a new tablet just yet
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    BerryClever likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

some people on these forums actually lie and say "I don't use Skype or Netflix"... Come on now. Almost everyone does.
    I don't use Skype and don't need to and there is zero reason for me to use it. I do use Netflix on a TV but I don't use it on my phone now nor would I use it on my PB in the future. Some people use those apps, some don't, and yes even if an eight year old uses it, it doesn't mean everyone does. I really don't know how you have come to the conclusion that everyone does what you do (or one particular child does) or want what you want, else they are lying... but sorry to tell you that it simply not true in real life.

If Netflix and/or Skype comes to the PlayBook, well that is great for those who use them. I am not one of those users, and thats the truth.
    Concession and DC506 like this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,143 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AC9A2F5

Speak for yourself. Some please would consider Netfilx to be a waste and totally useless. Such as me. BB10 will not be DoA. Life will continue on without the likes of Netflix.
    Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of no concern to you.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,693 Global Posts

Another one that doesn't use either. I do hope they get them though for those that do
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

I just gota say, the Wii is the number one platform for netflix. More people use netflix on the Wii than any other platform. Why wouldn't they make it a top priority to get it on the wii's sequel?

Also, netflix is seen as a competitor to cable TV to most people. That is, you watch it on your TV. How do you watch it on your TV? Most common way is to use a gaming console. The gaming consoles are netflix's primary market. Mobile is just a sideshow. Even if the playbook had netflix I wouldn't use it. I'd watch netflix on the TV, where it is best.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Did you just call the Kindle Fire and Nexus "Cheap $200 tablets?!" Really?? Considering that they both have stronger sales numbers and better ecosystems, I would hope you would reconsider that comment. The Kindle Fire HD is one of the best Media Consumption tablets out there. The Nexus is a great deal at $249 for 32GB. Come on now. Really? We're not talking about an iPad Mini, which I was a huge supporter of until the prices were unveiled. CNET is pretty biased in most of their reviews of anything Apple, but their review on the PlayBook was short and uninspiring.

If you're one of the "Obvious" Millions that don't use Netflix or Skype, then as they say down under, "Good on you!" For those of you who are willing to admit it, just say it with me, ... "Give us Good Quality Native apps including, but not limited to Skype and Netflix.
    "If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves" - Thomas Edison
    http://www.carlos-delcampo.com
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

LOL at those that insist "Netflix is for TV."
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by trelawrence View Post
    LOL at those that insist "Netflix is for TV."
    Some people use Netflix on TV and hardly (or ever) use it on a small portable device. Nobody insisted that Netflix is only for the TV and that nobody would use it on a mobile device. Hey, some people in fact may only use it on their mobile device.

If you're one of the "Obvious" Millions that don't use Netflix or Skype, then as they say down under, "Good on you!" For those of you who are willing to admit it, just say it with me, ....
    I think the best bet is that you buy a Kindle Fire and then Apple, RIM, and Google can just go out of business because everyone will have what you have. As for the rest that I didn't quote, I don't think it is worth debating here. Generally it could be interesting to debate general tablets, media consumption, need for native apps, and even subjective terms like "quality", but in this particular case, I just don't think it would be worth it.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,019 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BerryClever View Post
    Some people use Netflix on TV and hardly (or ever) use it on a small portable device. Nobody insisted that Netflix is only for the TV and that nobody would use it on a mobile device. Hey, some people in fact may only use it on their mobile device.
    I was actually surprised that people use Netflix on a portable device at all ... but they do. It's one of the top iOS apps. I wanted it on PlayBook, so I could watch when the PlayBook was plugged into a TV. I have it on my iPod and iPhone, but never use it on either. The data plans in Canada suck too badly for the iPhone and I'd use it when traveling but the wifi is often too crappy when in hotels to make it useful on any of these devices.

Skype I'd like though!
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

I don't even buy into the whole "Netflix or bust" argument. I do think it makes the platform more attractive, though. For now, Netflix is very region-specific with regards to good content, but it seems that region is very crucial to the successful adoption of RIM's products..
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

I don't use Netflix or Skype that often. When I have used Skype it was with my laptop which suits my needs as it is a more stable platform for the camera .
    Now can you not access Netflix through the browser? I tried and got to the sign up Page but was not going any further as I do not want it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast