PlayOn, CAN work remotely, BUT you must connect the device one time locally first, there after it works remotely from anywhere on the internet AND it works via a bridge connection. (although it may not be totally smooth while bridged) PC must be on for it to work it's magic. To access PlayOn remotely just browse to the mobile site http://m.playon.com. Also there are a couple apps that can be used with it. SCrApps' TabletTV has a PlayOn link, and FileArchiveHaven's Connect to TVersity app also supports PlayOn.
    SCrid2000 likes this.
    03-23-12 12:49 PM
    Ok that all makes sense, but what is the subscription for? To continue to get software updates?
    03-23-12 01:36 PM
    You have to pay the subscription to be able to use Netflix and Hulu.
    03-23-12 01:43 PM
    With Splashtop you have to be in the same wifi connection
    As your computer
    Incorrect.
    03-23-12 03:00 PM
    ^^ No, for the PlayOn software.

They have a lifetime subscription for $50.00 so that is kind of like purchasing a software package. I just don't get the subscription payment plan, I guess it is simply an alternative way to pay.
    03-23-12 03:58 PM
    With
    Splashtop you have to be in the same wifi connection
    As your computer
    Splashtop works fine outside your computers network along as you are logged into your Google account in the options
    03-23-12 05:02 PM
    For PlayOn I just paid the 25 or whatever for a 1 year.

I know its a significant chunk of change - but I'm the type to throw money at a problem. I use it in Canada for Netflix only and it works great outside the home for me. Streams over bridge ok for me to.

The 25 a year is significant i suppose but still only about the price of a single DVD. They do need to update the app everytime Hulu/Netflix changes stuff so I kind of get why they have high sustainment costs.

I opted to only pay for 1 year simply because in all likelyhood i will have a solution by then or either Netflix or PlayOn could be bankrupt.

But people who buy lifetime deals right now are getting free Roku's too which is pretty friggin sweet.

Ed
    03-23-12 05:32 PM
    You have to pay the subscription to be able to use Netflix and Hulu.
    Actually you DON'T need a hulu subscription, you can access all videos that are provided free on a PC. The main limitation is you can only watch the 5 most current shows of shows that are currently on TV. Netflix always requires a subscription, as do the major league sports programs. PlayOn just provides you a way to watch them on the PlayBook (and other things, such a Roku and other tablets). You just enter your account information on the server program that runs on the host PC.
    KermEd likes this.
    03-23-12 09:22 PM
    And, I have to say, Roku is a great deal. Im a big fan of digital media boxes.

I use:
    Apple TV Gen3 in the gym room
    Wii with Netflix and PlayOn in the computer room
    PS3 with Netflix and TVersity in the living room
    XBox360 with Netflix and TVersity for the bedroom
    PlayBook with PlayOn and TVersity for mobile use

In addition, I have a server box running TWonky, Orb, TVersity, and PlayOn in my basement for testing purposes (my apps support them, so I need to test them frequently). Each one has a dedicated custom port (where possible) open on my secondary wifi router and pushed to the PC. And in front of that I have a main wifi router that pushes those ports to the second wifi router that basically acts like a firewall. This lets ke access all 4 from outside my home network.

I use the basement server for it for all my server apps though, RDP, VNC, FTP, Minecraft, share drives, movie archives, shared iTunes, etc. And running off of that is a USB Drive and a mounted drive used for archived backups... But all my real work horses are laptops and mini boxes (SMART PE260's).

Anyway, so far off topic I know, but Roku looks like an awesome cheap portable Netflix/PlayOn box. My gym came down to a close debate between Roku and Apple. And it was iTunes sync that made me go with the Apple TV for the gym.

But, for the price, its nice having PlayOn simply because people always tell me there is no Netflix for the Playabook... Until I show them there is it just aint free.

Ed
    03-23-12 11:39 PM
    The current PlayOn deal is 49.95 for a lifetime membership, which is a great deal. I paid 79.95, BUT my deal came with a free Roku. Gonna put the 2nd Roku at the shore house.
    sectionsix and KermEd like this.
    03-23-12 11:54 PM
    been using PlayOn for awhile, and gotta say it rocks. not to mention their great customer support
    03-24-12 01:04 AM
    This Netflix FUD has to stop.
    1. Netflix requires PlayReady DRM to stream. This was added in PB 2.0. Note PB uses OMAP4 hardware which is certified HD HDMI out.
    AnandTech - TI OMAP4 First to be Awarded Netflix HD DRM Certification

2. Netflix has an SDK for partners. Netflix did not build every app for every platform. Did they build the app for the big platforms? Of course.
    Netflix Player (possibly java) - API Forum - Netflix API Forum
    mot700 and sagec like this.
    03-24-12 09:44 AM
    This Netflix FUD has to stop.
    1. Netflix requires PlayReady DRM to stream. This was added in PB 2.0. Note PB uses OMAP4 hardware which is certified HD HDMI out.
    AnandTech - TI OMAP4 First to be Awarded Netflix HD DRM Certification

2. Netflix has an SDK for partners. Netflix did not build every app for every platform. Did they build the app for the big platforms? Of course.
    Netflix Player (possibly java) - API Forum - Netflix API Forum
    To clarify, because many people will not be familiar with FUD and what you mean: English Translation, "Netflix needs to quit being afraid to invest time into the PlayBook."

On the topic though... Netflix has an SDK available for select partners - however it is also a licensed SDK (i.e. not free to vendors) and very poorly documented. The issue right now is that Netflix will not endorse the PlayBook for support and is not willing to actively work with RIM on the project.

Its my current understanding:
    - The SDK has dependencies not available on the PlayBook natively (yet) outside of just the DRM.
    - RIM has the SDK and obtained the license and code.
    - RIM has worked on the project but it is not complete or functional.
    - RIM is not recieving the level of support needed from Netflix to get it on the platform. In a large part, because Netflix is simply uninterested in the platform.
    03-24-12 10:58 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD