So I am getting a bit frustrated that all the playbook apps that exist today, even the RIM ones seem to be using adobe air. Why aren't they using the native sdk? Or are they using it? I mean the performance of app world and the music app is terrible. They either need to introduce really good gpu acceleration or something because this is obviosly an sdk level fix. And it would be an AMAZING fix. I've been content thus far but slowly its getting annoying. All these updates and really only the second update for the playbook made a difference (except for bridge but I don't use bridge). I must say however that the software standby button is VERY NICE.
    06-11-11 12:38 PM
    Cause native sdk won't be out till arounf october.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-11 12:48 PM
    there are demo's of a 3D media player, which I think TAT made. Im hoping we get that soon. Yeah, App World choppiness is annoying to me too.
    06-11-11 12:48 PM
    Cause native sdk won't be out till arounf october.

RIM doesnt need to wait to use there own hardware.
    06-11-11 12:50 PM
    RIM doesnt need to wait to use there own hardware.
    Agreed but Rim also can't be the only one supporting native apps with the native sdk that's not yet released.

I do believe there's a beta sdk floating around..not sure how valid that is or who's using it.

06-11-11 03:49 PM
    So I am getting a bit frustrated that all the playbook apps that exist today, even the RIM ones seem to be using adobe air. Why aren't they using the native sdk? Or are they using it? I mean the performance of app world and the music app is terrible. They either need to introduce really good gpu acceleration or something because this is obviosly an sdk level fix. And it would be an AMAZING fix. I've been content thus far but slowly its getting annoying. All these updates and really only the second update for the playbook made a difference (except for bridge but I don't use bridge). I must say however that the software standby button is VERY NICE.
    Many first party Playbook apps are unique hybrids --- all the heavy lifting are done in native codes but the UI is done in AIR. But even that is changing app by app --- like the Photo app now has been TAT-ified with 3D transitions. You are not going to see "super-futuristic" TAT 3D UI's on the Playbook --- they are technology demos that NO paying customers (including Google who hired TAT to design the Android UI) will use.

RIM also said that hybrids are not going to be a supported use case for their native SDK. If you know what you are doing, you can make a hybrid Playbook app yourself --- but RIM isn't going to help you to do it.

Interview: RIM’s Mike Kirkup on BlackBerry PlayBook Development - BerryReview

Flash/AIR has limited 3D stuff and it won't improve until adobe flash "molehill" API's are done.

Stage3D APIs for Adobe Flash Player and Adobe AIR - Adobe Labs
    Last edited by samab; 06-11-11 at 04:30 PM.
    06-11-11 04:24 PM
    The music app is terrible? It's rare that mine isn't playing music while I use it. Do you mean the player or the digital store? Music is pretty awesome on this thing, and considering RIM isn't in the music business I'd have to salute them for this. Heck, I don't even have to plug it into my home theatre to get decent sound out of it.
    Gilahiker and OneArseneWenger like this.
    06-11-11 04:57 PM
    Why will the Playbook not get the type of stuff that they are demo'ing?

So what happens when we finally get that 3D music player App they are demo'ing? Will you keep a tally for incorrect predictions?

06-11-11 05:08 PM
    The music app is terrible?
    He is probably saying the music app is terrible because it doesn't have the 3D carousel of album covers. Just like many people are "disappointed" that Kobo reader app doesn't have 3D transitions for flipping pages (a la Apple).

Why will the Playbook not get the type of stuff that they are demo'ing?

So what happens when we finally get that 3D music player App they are demo'ing? Will you keep a tally for incorrect predictions?

TAT demo'ed a lot of stuff --- many of them are not going to make it to the final production units, simply because they are too super-futuristic for normal day-to-day usage.

What gets to the final production units --- very understated 3D transitions in the Photo app.
    06-11-11 05:23 PM
    We did get one app demo'd by TAT..the scrapbook app.

06-11-11 07:01 PM
    I love how people automatically associate Flash with slowness (the same is being done with Java).

Trust me, native apps won't perform any faster... What is causing the lag in AppWorld is slow RIM servers and bad caching client-side. It has nothing to do with Adobe AIR.
    06-11-11 07:46 PM
    It is NOT slow servers.... laggy scrolling would only be chopy if some monkey wrote the code to ping the server between every frame. Also the music app sucks because it scrolls at maybe 10 fps. Thats no good i skip over artists all the time. Also heres a fact, java and flash are simple not efficient at some things and unfortunately theres no efficient flash graphics api right now. However we have seen TAT demo a smoooooth native graphics api. C will always be faster but right now its A LOT faster than java or flash. I would still like to see all of them on the playbook. Still waiting on an offline gps program and java support = the fix.

Edit: I still love this thing (playbook) and im downloading the new update.... some claim perf improvements so THANK YOU RIM
    takeo and BlackStormRising like this.
    06-12-11 12:45 AM
    Just so you know... Tetris and Need for Speed got developed with the yet to be released official native SDK.

I'm just afraid that this means that the Playbook is not capable of handling graphic-intense applications as well as I hoped for... Quake 3 is nice, but it's outdated... and other tablets are showing off quite impressively that tablets are capable of much more...
    just my 2 cents.
    06-12-11 12:53 AM
    OMG THEY FIXED FLASH AND SMOOTH SCROLLING.
    EAT THAT JOBS Eeeeeaaaat itttttt

Well I am now satisfied and i doubt need for speed pushed it far. Also its amazing how nice you can make things look if youre just very careful with what you render well and make sure everything prerendered is not payed attention to. Im sure its fairly capable and even if its not... all i need is pretty uis and DOOM 1

EDIT: When you zoom the rerender is instant. Especially non flash mode. Id sayit outperforms the ipads zoom with flash off and is maybe a few miliseconds behind with flash on. Oi sorry typing on my playbook.

Edit 2: OmG try portrait scrolling. Im in love.
    Last edited by Meltbox360; 06-12-11 at 01:07 AM.
    06-12-11 01:04 AM
    And all this time I was just using AppWorld to look for apps....

How much scrolling around are you guys doing?
    06-12-11 01:08 AM
    Also the music app sucks because it scrolls at maybe 10 fps. Thats no good i skip over artists all the time.
    That's because much of the UI widgets are still done by the CPU, not the GPU (video at around 25:20).

meltbox360 likes this.
    06-12-11 01:16 AM
    I assumed so but thank you for pointing out with a source. Hrmm I wonder when they will fix that. Also i scroll in app world when updating apps and i believe performance improved with ALL scrolling this update. Music app much more fluid now but still could use some work on fluidity. Ui is just fine though
    06-12-11 01:23 AM
    OMG THEY FIXED FLASH AND SMOOTH SCROLLING.
    EAT THAT JOBS Eeeeeaaaat itttttt

Well I am now satisfied and i doubt need for speed pushed it far. Also its amazing how nice you can make things look if youre just very careful with what you render well and make sure everything prerendered is not payed attention to. Im sure its fairly capable and even if its not... all i need is pretty uis and DOOM 1

EDIT: When you zoom the rerender is instant. Especially non flash mode. Id sayit outperforms the ipads zoom with flash off and is maybe a few miliseconds behind with flash on. Oi sorry typing on my playbook.

Edit 2: OmG try portrait scrolling. Im in love.
    wow.... yeah... browser is amazing now. good job with the update RIM!!!

edit: wow... the browser experience as a whole has been greatly improved... I truthfully have never been bothered by it, and thought it was "good enough"... but now im down right impressed, amazed... gonna be showing this browser off now - lol
    Last edited by 123berryaddicted; 06-12-11 at 01:53 AM.
    06-12-11 01:32 AM
    He is probably saying the music app is terrible because it doesn't have the 3D carousel of album covers. Just like many people are "disappointed" that Kobo reader app doesn't have 3D transitions for flipping pages (a la Apple).

TAT demo'ed a lot of stuff --- many of them are not going to make it to the final production units, simply because they are too super-futuristic for normal day-to-day usage.

What gets to the final production units --- very understated 3D transitions in the Photo app.
    the music/media player wasnt futuristic. Its basically a 3D coverflow type thing, except multiple rows.
    06-12-11 10:31 AM
    You mean "a la Apple and iPad Kindle app," both of which support 3D page transitions.
    06-12-11 10:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD