Somebody on the Skype community forum posted a response that they got from RIM support:

Dear Louis,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support. We are pleased to assist you.

I apologize for any inconvenience, Thank you so much for your support. I completely understand that we have a limited choice of applications right now. But with the coming software update 2.0 you will be able to download android apps. Which Skype is one of them. And many mores. Once again thank you for your support.

If you require further assistance, please reply to this message.

Thank you again for contacting us. Have a great day.
    jedibeeftrix likes this.
    02-16-12 12:23 AM
    Ha! Thas funny
    02-16-12 12:24 AM
    Thats the thing Im fairly certain Viber and Skype will take this approach, RIM is happy to have non native apps on, why will we waste our time making a native app?
    Hopefully this means we will have the apps come 2.0, but will they have access to the cameras? Time will tell, I really hope so.
    diegonei likes this.
    02-16-12 06:26 AM
    Who knows, maybe they fixed all that problems with mic and cam...hope so...
    02-16-12 08:28 AM
    Why don't they enable the cam/mic inside the android player?
    02-16-12 08:36 AM
    My guess is when they knew 2.0 was going to be delayed until feb along with a full relaunch of the playbook, they purposely turned off mic/cam support.

I would be shocked if the 2.0 release coming has mic/cam support still turned off. Notice that in all CES interviews, videos, the question of skype and mic/cam support has been completely avoided. No one has even asked the question of them.

If they had turned on mic/cam support for 2.0 beta, skype or other video conferencing software would have been running already (that's my theory).
    02-16-12 08:49 AM
    If a company as large as Skype, owned by Microsoft, needs to rely and on the Android Runtime to run their application that is absolutely pathetic and degrading for PlayBook owners.

It shows they are not interested in PlayBook OS even if Skype did fully work under Android Runtime. If Skype was truly interested in PlayBook and wants to show quality customer service give us an application written in whatever code PlayBook OS is written under.

They have the money and resources, you aren't reinventing the wheel from scratch with little knowledge.
    02-16-12 09:12 AM
    I could care less what programming language the developers use to make Skype or any other apps on the PlayBook. As long as they work as intended with full functionality and without lag. They could write it in BASIC for all I care.
    02-16-12 11:25 AM
    If a company as large as Skype, owned by Microsoft, needs to rely and on the Android Runtime to run their application that is absolutely pathetic and degrading for PlayBook owners.

It shows they are not interested in PlayBook OS even if Skype did fully work under Android Runtime. If Skype was truly interested in PlayBook and wants to show quality customer service give us an application written in whatever code PlayBook OS is written under.

They have the money and resources, you aren't reinventing the wheel from scratch with little knowledge.
    Microsoft doesn't even have Skype on Windows Phone yet. Why would you expect them to drop everything and make a PB App??

Seriously, we need to forget Skype for now and concentrate on bugging Tango to make an App. Worry about Skype later. Microsoft is clearly busy with Skype at the moment.
    02-16-12 12:42 PM
    Microsoft doesn't even have Skype on Windows Phone yet. Why would you expect them to drop everything and make a PB App??

Seriously, we need to forget Skype for now and concentrate on bugging Tango to make an App. Worry about Skype later. Microsoft is clearly busy with Skype at the moment.
    Exactly, forget skype and focus on tango.
    02-16-12 12:55 PM
    any phone company providing free phone calls via Skype is shooting themselves in the foot, big time
    02-16-12 01:01 PM
    Exactly, forget skype and focus on tango.
    As I said it earlier, I think we have better chance with Google vchat as they opened their code and codecs (webrtc.org) for the community to pick up.
    Last edited by Wolfgan; 02-17-12 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Typo
    02-17-12 12:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD