UPDATE: NOW IN APP WORLD!!
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/90101/?lang=en

Finished my third "spare time" app, this one best so far in my opinion. What do you guys think? (just finished submitting to AppWorld for review - will take few days for it to appear).

Money Plus is an expense tracking and financial management application designed exclusively for the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.

It allows you to quickly capture and categorize transaction details. Transactions can be assigned to unlimited number of cash, credit card or banking accounts and unlimited number of categories.

The easy to use interface allows you to filter transactions based on selected account or category.

All data is stored locally on the device and never sent or transmitted to external server.
    This is initial release. Future releases will include account running balance calculations, bank transaction download, statement reconciliation, reporting and host of other features planned for this application.

Surprisingly this one didn't take long to develop. I started from complete scratch few days after Alec Saunders announced the PlayBook promo (even though free PB was not really a motivation it was fun to give myself a goal) and finished today (had it almost finished for the original Feb 13 deadline but RIM's extension gave me extra time to polish few rough edges here and there)...

Spent several evenings and one weekend (I have a full time job - this is more of a hobby) but I like the result.

I started using it to track my own transactions and I can see this becoming full blown financial management app when I add more key features like split transactions, balance tracking, statement reconciliation and transaction import from bank sites.... and more...

Eager to hear your opinion!

Cheers

2012-04-22 Version 1.2.106 now in App World!
    Added multiple currencies support and other minor bug fixes and improvements!

2012-03-14 Version 1.1.104 now in App World!
    Added account list screen, added account balance column to transaction view, ability to backup / restore your database to Documents folder, introduction of Notifications panel and other changes.
    Last edited by LinkNote; 04-23-12 at 08:37 PM.
    02-16-12 08:16 PM
    looks like a very useful and well designed app. What is the cost?

My ideal expense tracking app would be able to sync between my BlackBerry handset and my PlayBook (either via bridge or web).

Good luck and congrats.
    02-16-12 08:31 PM
    Looks nice, hard to believe it was so easy.
    02-16-12 08:36 PM
    I listed it at $0.99 to start with, and will slowly increase the price as I build it up with features. Would have started it as a free app but don't want to do the same mistake I did with LinkNote where as soon as I turned it into paid app I p1ssed so many people as they got prompted to pay at the next upgrade (I thought AppWorld honoured free installs for all future paid upgrades but it turned out to be not true).

An idea I have (as soon as bridge SDK is available) to have Blackberry entry app where you enter /capture expenses on your phone and next time its bridged it sync to PlayBook database...
    02-16-12 08:37 PM
    Looks nice, hard to believe it was so easy.
    The new 2.0 SDK provides new "fuse" controls which are complete, easy to use and actually work (!!) (comparing to old SDK 1.x controls)... In LinkNote which is using 1.x controls I had to do a lot of hand coded tricks which are bogging the app down. I am planning to upgrade LinkNote to 2.0 controls but that will take time...
    02-16-12 08:40 PM
    Cool to hear. I hope they do attract devs with tools they want to work with.

Keep up the good work!
    02-16-12 08:43 PM
    looks really nice! Awesome to see developing for the playbook and quality apps coming out thanks!
    02-16-12 10:00 PM
    Looks great. i will definitely be picking it up. For me, the ability to download transactions would be awesome. i really want a 'quicken' style app for the Playbook and i know alot of other users do as well.

Good luck!
    02-16-12 10:16 PM
    Looks great. I too will be using this when it's released. Thanks...
    02-16-12 11:51 PM
    This looks like something I will definatley get for my PB. I know you are in the early stage of development but just a couple of features I would like to suggest:
    1. Sync with Quicken desktiop
    2. Track account/ bills due date, amount paid balance due (another entire app?)

Hope you will look at this for further down the road. But this is a slick looking app now. Kuddos!!
    02-17-12 12:04 AM
    1. Sync with Quicken desktiop
    2. Track account/ bills due date, amount paid balance due (another entire app?)
    Noted - I will definitively keep that in my todo list (I will need some help with Quicken when I get there)...
    02-17-12 12:17 AM
    I have been waiting for an app that meets my needs. I really hope this is it. I'm using the e-mobile money right now but would really rather have a tablet based app. Syncing with the phone idea sounds great.

Recurring expenses that can be set up and seen in an in-app calendar or list of upcoming bills in like the next 30 days would be nice. and the ability to do backups either manually or auto too!
    02-17-12 01:17 AM
    Are there multiple currencies available?
    Need the � haha
    02-17-12 07:44 AM
    No multiple currencies in this initial version but I have put in hooks in the code to support. Essentially when you add account you will be able to specify currency for that account and then when you add transfer transactions between accounts of different currency you will be able to type exchange rate to calculate properly.
    02-17-12 08:29 AM
    hey this looks NICE!

reminds of the JABPLite program i used to use on my blackberry

this might be a stretch especially considering you emphasized the information staying on your own devices. Would it be possible to link up with another persons bb/playbook and two way sync the transactions entered?

for example on a couples joint account, if i enter a transaction would it be possible to have her to see it?
    crashberry likes this.
    02-17-12 10:15 AM
    GBP for the win! If i can import in .csv from my existing money 97 (stop that laughing at the back!), this sounds great.

Almost inspring enough for me to d/l the dev tools and work out how to get started and how all this works!
    02-17-12 12:37 PM
    LOL I have myself over 10 years of transaction history in msmoney although in more recent version. If there is enough demand for this I will look into importing from msmoney...
    02-17-12 03:00 PM
    Would be great to be able to see types of expenditures in a pie chart with corresponding colors. Though it looks stylish and neat as it is.
    02-17-12 03:48 PM
    It will be a week tomorrow and my app is still in the "RIMoblivion"... Can't wait to see it in AppWorld. Working on update to add backup/restore of the local transaction database as well as multi currency support and split transactions...
    02-22-12 10:06 PM
    Looks awesome! Will definitely be snatching this up!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-22-12 10:26 PM
    Been checking everyday too..
    02-23-12 12:12 PM
    02-29-12 11:21 PM
    Hey, just wanted to say the pictures look great!

I've been using an app called "Expense Manager" by BiShiNews, but had to stop, since I gave my Android Tab to my mom.

I've tried several of the expense tracking apps in App World, but was severely disappointed. However, your app looks very promising.

If you can, I would politely suggest what Aravil suggested, regarding the pie charts. But especially at $1, I'm not one to complain.

Good job!
    03-01-12 12:56 AM
    Looking forward for this app
    03-01-12 09:18 AM
    Def gonna check this out. The bridge idea sounds brilliant. An export function would be key. And if you do plan to implement due dates for bills or w/e may I suggest having it use the built in notification system .
    03-01-12 09:45 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD