Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default MapApp & Gmap LE - very good alternatives to google map

Has anyone used these 2 apps :
    -- Gmap LE
    -- MapApp

Both the apps are very good alternative to google maps...only problem is GPS doesnt work for me in both the apps !!!

Anyone having any luck over GPS ???
    RIM are the biggest lier when it comes to selling Playbooks !!! Biggest mistake of my life trusting RIM for all the false promises made by them relating to PB....arghhhhhhh
    CrackBerry Abuser

gps got me locked on where i was man.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Very good. Found me right away on mapapp.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

gmap le is better graphics but has me located off west africa.... unless I'm in a bad dream... if anyone knows the fix???
    CrackBerry Master

GMap LE is much smoother when scrolling, but the "Google Maps" app has a search bar. Too bad you can't get the best of both worlds just yet.

Wonder if Google will stay away from developing apps till the NDK comes out? I don't think they're too big on AIR/Flash development there...

What does the SearchBox do? I put in "sushi' and it did not find any. Same with Walmart.

Also, I got into street view but was having trouble moving and could not exit street view. I had to kill the entire app.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    771 Global Posts

@F2 how did you get into street veiw. i dont get it??

@Dapper37 I just tried Google LT and it also shows my location off the coast of Africa as well ?!? WTF???
    Last edited by teostar; 06-05-2011 at 02:25 PM.
    Crackberry Addict:

I am not sure - there's the little man icon at the upper left corner. I kept poking at it - it did not seem to respond but then suddenly I was in street view. So I don't know if it was the icon or just happened. Once in street view there was an X in the upper right but I never got out of street view. And I was having trouble panning. As I attempted to move "south" it was panning up towards the sky.

And in Search, I put in a friend's name - it came up with some far-off burg with that name. When I tapped on it, the map moved but then went blank. It probably needs some work - the "catch phrase" for lots of PB things!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

for streetview grab the dude in the top left and drag him out to where you want (same as on google maps on pc) and to close streetview theres a lil X in top right corner.

to move around you swipe finger across the screen to turn your view, and tap the arrows to move in that direction.
    Last edited by BBThemes; 06-05-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Thorsten said ZED 10. deal with it
    My Apps in BlackBerry World
    My Platinum 9900

For all my themes - BBThemes.co.uk and follow me on @BBThemes1
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

Neither work well enough for me to make me want to keep it on the PB. Can't wait for an official app from Google with all of the features that come with Google Maps like I have on my BB phone.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

gps still not working for me !!!
    how did it work for you guys ??? Is there any setup required ???
    RIM are the biggest lier when it comes to selling Playbooks !!! Biggest mistake of my life trusting RIM for all the false promises made by them relating to PB....arghhhhhhh

radhe:

Set aside half an hour to an hour and find a very wide open field with few trees and no buildings. Set the pb aside and don't even shield it with your body. See if that works. Also make sure the that gps is ON, somewhere in options.

Also you can try downloading the free Compass app and fire that up. Again, very open field for the first time. One guy left it on his deck and left for an hour and it finally got a reading.