hi, i am looking for a playbook app that i can render maps at home with using wifi, then be able to drive and the app will use only gps to show my realtime location on the prerendered map.
    06-24-12 11:35 AM
    The Magellan app is suppose to do that - download the maps along the route in advance. There's a thread in the main (why it has not been moved to the app forum, I don't know). But if you deviate from the route you might have issues.
    06-24-12 11:56 AM
    it seems that i cant 'start' an already pre-programmed navigation route ... i need wifi to start the navigation
    06-24-12 12:02 PM
    I am in the process of trying to get the navfree app to work, it is an open source offline gps app, so far I have found the .apk file converted it to .bar but when trying to run it it freezes and locks up. I have it on all my apple stuff and it works great if we can find a way to get it running on the playbook it will be golden, in the mean time i did buy the magellan compass app and it hardly uses any data at all so I can use it with my iphone in hotspot mode however that means I need to have both the phone and the playbook plugged in and charging as it uses a lot of power. If anyone can figure out how to get this navfree app working everyone with a playbook will benefit lets work together and figure it out there has to be a way!
    Try to find the very FIRST build and convert it. You've the most chance with the first build
    06-24-12 02:51 PM
    i got osmand today and tried using it. i set the destination and loaded the map/directions with my home wifi. then, i turned off wifi and tried driving with it. it gave turn by turn directions. it worked great until i tried changing the destination. the map was preloaded but it could not figure out the directions without internet.
    06-24-12 05:44 PM
    The Magellan app is suppose to do that - download the maps along the route in advance. There's a thread in the main (why it has not been moved to the app forum, I don't know). But if you deviate from the route you might have issues.
    thanks, but i was hoping for a free app that could do that
    06-24-12 05:52 PM
    thanks, but i was hoping for a free app that could do that

OSMAND was mentioned above - it is a free app and will connect via Bridge to your BB phone. The GPS takes a minute to find you (like most PB apps) but it tracks nicely after that.
    06-24-12 09:01 PM
    What other GPS apps are available that connect via Bridge?
    06-25-12 03:52 PM
    I don't understand why no one is trying viewranger. It can download maps for offline use and has really good GPS support. There are also a number of third part maps that can be downloaded to it. They say that fifty percent of mountain rescue teams in UK use it for guidance in their work.

It is available in Appworld for download.
    09-02-12 07:47 AM
    App World only gives it 2.5 stars out of 5. Reviews says that the gps doesn't work right on the Playbook port of the Android app.
    09-02-12 12:56 PM
    I don't understand why no one is trying viewranger. It can download maps for offline use and has really good GPS support. There are also a number of third part maps that can be downloaded to it. They say that fifty percent of mountain rescue teams in UK use it for guidance in their work.

It is available in Appworld for download.
    As the other poster noted, the reviews in appworld are not very good. Have you tried the version for the pb? Or a version for another platform?
    09-02-12 11:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD