View Poll Results: do you want this title to come to playbook/blackberry 10?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - yes, stupid question - bring it on!

32 86.49%
  • NO - pfft.. this isn't the 1980's - i only care about 3D games

2 5.41%
  • will be interested based on other people's feedback

3 8.11%
    now that we are coming to a close with our "Lemmings" port (Caveman HD) - we will start scouting the idea of a new port.. so, here is this thread! on Palm OS, i created a loderunner clone called "Hoards of the Deep Realm" - the game is a 1:1 copy of Loderunner

Lode Runner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it gained some popularity and eventually i was asked to develop: "LodeRunner: The Legend Returns" as an official port for Palm OS published by Pocket Express/Handmark - their license has since expired. would like to get the idea of interest around bringing this classic to the playbook, like what i did with Lemmings, complete with new artwork, audio et al simple survey!
    06-16-12 03:17 PM
    Shut up and take my money!
    Last edited by h20work; 06-16-12 at 05:00 PM.
    Thunderbuck and spiculated like this.
    06-16-12 04:52 PM
    I LOVED Lode Runner. My favorite "back in the day" game (I played Championship Edition on a Commodore 64 and even got Broderbund's cheesy achievement certificate when I completed it).

I've played other editions of LR, including the Nintendo one, and what bugs me no end is the lack of responsiveness. Unlike many C64 games, Broderbund didn't use sprites and coded the game either in assembler or something close to it. As a result it was extremely precise. Any other edition I play would have to match that, so be warned!

All that said, I thought LR was one of the most ingenious platformers ever, and I'd love to show it to my kids.
    06-16-12 05:13 PM
    I LOVED Lode Runner. My favorite "back in the day" game (I played Championship Edition on a Commodore 64 and even got Broderbund's cheesy achievement certificate when I completed it).
    my first experience was an unofficial clone; actually - on the Microbee 128k

I've played other editions of LR, including the Nintendo one, and what bugs me no end is the lack of responsiveness. Unlike many C64 games, Broderbund didn't use sprites and coded the game either in assembler or something close to it. As a result it was extremely precise. Any other edition I play would have to match that, so be warned!
    oh - definitely; if you want to see what the Palm OS version looked like - check this:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ9v20Q5v1U[/YT]

consider the extreme precision logic but with a new sexy look as retro as it looks on the old platform, it would definitely require a new look and feel to be more appealing this game was coded for a 16Mhz 68k CPU so i think we have some room for improvement - just like what was done with caveman (lemmings clone).

All that said, I thought LR was one of the most ingenious platformers ever, and I'd love to show it to my kids.
    it was one of my first games i ever tried to write as a developer; i have code from 1992 which some even made it into the Palm OS versions and will definitely make it into the version for the newer platforms.
    06-17-12 01:48 AM
    Porting from Web OS is simple ! Just port it ! (More) Good apps for the playbook are always welcome
    06-17-12 02:51 AM
    Porting from Web OS is simple ! Just port it ! (More) Good apps for the playbook are always welcome
    i never got around to porting it to webos - this was Palm OS (remember the Palm Pilot)?

but, it would take me less than a day to port this game over, the time factor is getting new artwork and audio and working with the touch display for controls. my art/audio guys are interested; so this looks like a serious possibility i was working on this before (but, time was lost).. some WIP concept which i did on my own is here:

http://www.mobile1up.com/blog/?archive&entry=2009-12-06

just never got around to finishing it up - i will do better artwork with the team who worked on caveman (since, everyone likes that stuff). plus back in late 2009 i only focused on a low res (480x320) version - completely new assets are required for a HD screen like the playbook caveman HD is very crisp/sexy on the playbook, would expect the same!
    Last edited by mobile1up; 06-17-12 at 03:58 AM.
    06-17-12 03:47 AM
    Now are you able to get the license or will this be a clone ala Caveman? really wont matter just asking? I had the C64 version myself that was my first pc loved my C64!!! Broderbund made a lot of cool games for the time and I'm sure lots of people would like copies to play today. Another game I belive broderbund was involved in was Chopper Comand?? cool game
    Ed
    06-17-12 04:18 AM
    Now are you able to get the license or will this be a clone ala Caveman? really wont matter just asking? I had the C64 version myself that was my first pc loved my C64!!! Broderbund made a lot of cool games for the time and I'm sure lots of people would like copies to play today. Another game I belive broderbund was involved in was Chopper Comand?? cool game
    Ed
    Sierra own the IP last time i checked - but, they were only interested in "LodeRunner: The Legend Returns" which was what I worked on for the Palm OS (official) version. They had no interest in the original classic (8bit style) so in my contract when doing the port I specifically requested that i could release my classic port under a different name - that was between Pocket Express / Handmark and myself who licensed LodeRunner: The Legend Returns from Sierra Online.

i wrote this game myself purely from scratch, a clone would be the best anyhow - means i have more freedom in making it a cooler game (new art, sound fx, additional features) - and no head aches of licensing or dealing with having to charge $9.99 (or more) for it.
    06-17-12 04:22 AM
    I would love that app and would gladly pay for it. Played the snot out of that disk on my c64 and now have the original on my mame cab.
    06-17-12 03:48 PM
    my first experience was an unofficial clone; actually - on the Microbee 128k

oh - definitely; if you want to see what the Palm OS version looked like - check this:

consider the extreme precision logic but with a new sexy look as retro as it looks on the old platform, it would definitely require a new look and feel to be more appealing this game was coded for a 16Mhz 68k CPU so i think we have some room for improvement - just like what was done with caveman (lemmings clone).

it was one of my first games i ever tried to write as a developer; i have code from 1992 which some even made it into the Palm OS versions and will definitely make it into the version for the newer platforms.
    OMG I remember that level!! And I have to say, it looks as responsive as it needs to be in the video.

Bring it on! I'll totally buy it!
    06-17-12 04:48 PM
    as of 19.06.2012: 84.62% - yes?

seems like this project needs to get serious - i pinged my art/audio guys and they are excited about the anticipation by the crackberry forum users; once we get a few styles nailed down it wont take long to get a beta program underway for testing continue voting on this title tho! when we have updates; i will post them here.
    06-19-12 07:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD