Thanks to all for the information hopefully the update is sooner than later. The PB's size is perfect to use as an e-reader just need a half decent e-reader app that can recognize side loaded epubs.
    04-21-11 03:40 PM
    Kobo finally e-mailed me back and flatly said: no side-loaded epubs in Kobo for PB. I politely suggested that this would drive people away from their product (and store) and they should reconsider.

For now, anyway, we are stuck waiting on someone else to ride to the rescue with a workable app.

(I also e-mailed Mobipocket to encourage them to create a PB version of their eReader app.)
    04-21-11 05:01 PM
    Has anyone messed around with KOBO? Can you load up epubs? Can you drag and drop books? I havent found much information on the ereader for playbook
    If you sign up for a KOBO account (no charge) they will let you download "The Art of War" book for free.
    I did that and I am reading the book. It works well but it does not have all the functionality of the Kindle.
    04-21-11 06:05 PM
    Kobo finally e-mailed me back and flatly said: no side-loaded epubs in Kobo for PB. I politely suggested that this would drive people away from their product (and store) and they should reconsider.

For now, anyway, we are stuck waiting on someone else to ride to the rescue with a workable app.

(I also e-mailed Mobipocket to encourage them to create a PB version of their eReader app.)
    Well this makes no sense, Kobo allows this with their Pandigital ereader app. unfortunate and will not use Kobo as soon as a new decent ereader app is available
    04-22-11 08:03 AM
    I agree we need a good ebook reader and will be contacting the Nook folks as I do like their Android reader and have a lot of NookBooks. It does a good job with sideloaded books as well.

I have been a MobiPocket user as well and it works well so it would be a step up but will not handle DRM.

Fred
    04-22-11 09:42 AM
    I openned a "bug" at the calibre website to see if they can fix us up and use their software to get our books in...can someone more tech savy than me go over and give them the info they need to help us?

Frequently Asked Questions — calibre User Manual
    04-23-11 12:55 PM
    Blackberry should have had the Kindle and Nook apps available for the Playbook on launch day, plain and simple.
    The only reason I'm holding off on the Playbook is the inability to read my Nookbooks on the Playbook.
    04-23-11 02:45 PM
    i just sent the following to Kobo. I doubt they will have a positive answer based upon the previous posts here

I have a BBPlaybook.
    I want to load ePub books onto it (not purchased, but rather my own books converted from PDF>ePub)
    Adobe Digital Editions does not recognize the PB
    Blackberry DeskManager does not recognize Kobo for sync
    Mass storage PC>PB can load the file onto the PB but the Kobo on PB does not recognize the file
    How to?
    04-23-11 03:22 PM
    I just found this link as I was going crazy trying to load epub books onto my Playbook. Truly sad state of affairs, I went to all the trouble of converting almost 2 thousand books to epub to use on my Playbook. I only dragged a and dropped a few to test.
    One big mystery other than this is not supported in the Kobo app for Playbook, but I do not see the free books that came with it in the "books" folder....where the heck are the current ebooks stored on the Playbook if not in "books"?

Looks like my kindle will not be retired as of yet
    05-09-11 01:21 PM
    I am sure the books are in a folder that we will not have access to.

This is frustrating that Kobo is the exclusive ebook/ereader for Playbook yet the app is a bare bones version compared to itouch/ipad and pandigital versions. You would think it would have been just as good if not better. It continues to be a sore spot that I must leave the PB at home and take the klunky iPad out so I can read my ebooks when waiting for the family at various events.

It is also gets tiresome to be told to covert the books to this or that format, why should we have to? We simply need a generic ereader like iBook that links to online stores, Kobo, Amazon, or whatever. It should not be that difficult.
    05-09-11 02:54 PM
    I don't have a Playbook at this time, but to read books on my BlackBerry, I first open the epub in Calibre(free), then convert it to MOBI format, then in Calibre, "send to device" the device being my blackberry memory card. I would presume this same approach can be used for the Playbook, though I don't know how you would go about turning pages.

The Mobireader is a free app downloaded on the BB and Calibre is a free program downloaded on your PC.

You can buy a little program called ePub DRM Removal to strip the DRM from your epubs for $30.00.
    05-11-11 11:21 AM
    No sure if this problem has been addressed but I have lots of pdf's I want o read on my PB. Each time I open any file natively, I get he error message "Error: the file path is not valid". No matter what I do, nothing happens beyond that message. Though pdf opens from BB through Bridge. Pls help.
    Thanks.
    05-11-11 06:47 PM
    4wheel:

Not sure if this is the issue: Go to PB, I think, Security and check the application permissions for adobe app.
    4wheel likes this.
    05-11-11 08:33 PM
    You are da man!
    It worked! Battled with it for days.
    Phew! Thanks.
    Last edited by 4wheel; 05-12-11 at 06:11 AM.
    05-12-11 06:09 AM
    Anyone know what format Kobo saves the books in when you purchase them? Cant even find the books on my pc lol.
    05-13-11 12:20 PM
    the epub app that works is SVIT 2.99 on appworld. i installed svit and copied my epub files to the files folder in the blackberry desktop on my pc. the files were then accessible in svit. i think that kobo is not so open on playbook. i won't be supporting them
    02-14-12 03:34 PM
    Kobo is cr$^&&p! Don't use it and don't patronize them. Only RIM would release a device without any kind of reader for the most common ebook format - epub. They deserve the disastrous past year.

SOLUTION: It's hard to find in the poorly organized App World, but there is, in fact, one free epub reader that works, though it's not very sophisticated. Download BOOKSONWINK.

Enjoy!
    02-14-12 11:55 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD