Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By TheAnalogkid
  • 1 Post By ekafara
  • 1 Post By tenax
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Post Kobo App Fix

I can't believe that the Kobo still allows you to buy books with their PlayBook app even though the app is still not working and won’t allow you read books within the app.

Within the App on their website there is no mention that there is a problem or that you may not be able to read the books you have purchased.

In turn, I have worked out my own fix for the somewhat buggy and currently inoperable Kobo app for PlayBook.

First, I called my credit card company and explained that I have paid for services not rendered. They cheerfully filed a dispute with the merchant to return all purchases made in the last 90 days.

After reading the CrackBerry blog, I tried he Kindle Cloud service and to my delight, it works with Playbook. It is not a native application but a good stop gap until 2.0 and the android app player comes around or there is an actual Kindle app.

I would have been more patient in waiting for Kobo to fix the problem; however, their customer service is atrocious and did not instill much confidence. They do not return email and calling them is no help either!
    Last edited by theanalogkid; 11-09-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: format
    Thanked by 2:
    Revord (11-09-2011),  wms3 (11-11-2011) 
    F2 and wms3 like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    20176ee8

I really prefer Kobo for ebooks, however, this whole thing with the app not working all of a sudden is really irritating. I'm glad I haven't purchased anything yet. I mostly have been reading some of the classics which are mostly free, so that isn't a big issue, except that I can't download books anymore, free or not.
    CrackBerry User

Default To access your library disable wifi and bridge

My Kobo reader app is getting hung up trying to update following launch. It becomes impossible to even read an already downloaded book. But if you shut off wifi and bluetooth (to kill your bridge connection) it bypasses the update process and you can at least read books already in your library and on your Playbook. in the meantime we should all email Kobo and complain as it appears to be an issue on their end.
    Thanked by 2:
    robtanz (11-09-2011),  wobly (11-13-2011) 
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,056 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deswayze View Post
    My Kobo reader app is getting hung up trying to update following launch. It becomes impossible to even read an already downloaded book. But if you shut off wifi and bluetooth (to kill your bridge connection) it bypasses the update process and you can at least read books already in your library and on your Playbook.
    Thanks for the tip. Now I can get back to Game of Thrones.
    Thanked by:
    webmn (11-09-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

i guess it is working now. i just downloaded a new book, and i am able to read it no problem.
    Torch 9860 & 16gb PlayBook
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    23003E12

Still no luck for me
    Thanked by:
    TheAnalogkid (11-09-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    PIN
    32fbc26f

no luck for me either.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Mine still not working either. Going on a week soon!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    952 Global Posts

The issue I have with it is that it doesn't keep the bookmark where I left it. If I close the app and go back in it shows the book has been bookmarked, but when I open the book it does have it marked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    tenax likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

I can't see any free books listed anymore
    If Jesus can walk on water, Chuck Norris can swim on ground

Z10 STL100-3 OS 10.1.0.4181
    PlayBook 32 GB OS 2.1.0.1032
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

to the OP.... are u saying you can use kindle cloud to read books from kobo library on playbook? if so, more details plse. if not, this is no fix.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Default Kindle Cloud

Here are the directions on how to use Kindle Cloud on your PlayBook.

http://crackberry.com/quick-review-a...-read-playbook
    CrackBerry Abuser

I just stopped by facebook and left a problem notice. Have to admit their customer support is just atrocious. Not only that but a few of their books I have purchased have been so poorly edited I got really irritated about it. And I am a lousy speller. Don't know if it is really their fault or not but just like professionalism has fallen before hurry up and get it done.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theanalogkid View Post
    Here are the directions on how to use Kindle Cloud on your PlayBook.

http://crackberry.com/quick-review-a...-read-playbook
    thanks for this, but i want to be absolutely clear in my understanding here. you are able to use Kindle Cloud to download and read books that have been purchased on the KOBO site?

or are you saying you tried kobo, didnt work, you've switched to Kindle Cloud and are getting your books via the amazon site?

thank you
    JaredPress likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

see post 66 here and follow from there..this is the real deal fix. you will be running the kobo android ap on your playbook!

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...=1#post6845029
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by tenax View Post
    see post 66 here and follow from there..this is the real deal fix. you will be running the kobo android ap on your playbook!

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...=1#post6845029
    not quite a fix unless you use 2.0
    9900 Bold and 16 GB Playbook
    Z10 with 10.2.0.1371 and 64GB Playbook

Lets Go Mets! Lets Go Steelers!
    CrackBerry Newbie

I too would like a little more information on the Cloud. I am having trouble with the Kobo app on my playbook too. Was able to finish a book today then when I went to the library to start my new one it wasn't there, I had downloaded it the other day on my PC....library on the Playbook wouldn't update. Uninstalled the kobo app and reinstalled it, now whole library is gone!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tprime View Post
    not quite a fix unless you use 2.0
    correct TB. i have found with 2.0, no issues that would give me pause to use it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts

Just use Android version. Loaded with local bar and works like a charm! RIM, WAKE UP!!
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    G PONG

FYI, my Kobo app on the Playbook seems to be working again as of about 1pm. I was able to open a book in my library and the spinning wheel is gone...
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    238FEBBD

I noticed another post, about the Kobo issue, mentioning something about some issues with free books causing the problem, and that they are working on an update. I thought, why not remove all my free books, using the Kobo Desktop app on my laptop, and see if that fixes the problem.

Well,... don't you know that fixed it! As soon as I restarted my Kobo app on my Playbook, it loaded my paid books, and immediately started re-downoading them. At least I can read again. Now, let's hope they actually fix the issue.