@dkonigs - i have seen keepass working very well on other touch ui (that 'i' thingy) and hoping for a similar experience on the PB.
    09-16-11 10:36 AM
    @dkonigs - i have seen keepass working very well on other touch ui (that 'i' thingy) and hoping for a similar experience on the PB.
    KeePass is both an app, and a family of file-format-compatible apps. KeePassX is the specific Qt-dependent app that I'm talking about. There are at least 3 other KeePass-compatible apps out there that support the 'i' thingies. (there's a huge list of different KeePass-compatible apps listed here)
    09-16-11 11:19 AM
    Please please please! I soooooo want! I love using KeePass because of the easy copy and transfer of a single database format between my computer and other devices. Better to get jump on it now considering that QNX on HH's is coming sooner rather than later...
    09-17-11 05:42 AM
    Hi There, KiPass is geared towards release, I am quite busy right now with other things, so progress is a bit slower, I finished UI redesign and it is now at least showable. Look here if you like screenshots. :-)
    09-25-11 08:59 PM
    Personally I switched over to LastPass and I love it, Webbased and I can use it on my Playbook/BB via browser.
    09-26-11 03:09 PM
    Hi,

I released a little read-only Beta, this is not yet for PlayBook, because of app world publishing delays.
    But this version is otherwise exactly the same as the one on the PB, if you feel like trying it to get an idea of the UI and functionnality, go ahead and grab it on my website www.smugrik.aunetic.org , and if you'd like anything changed before the PlayBook release, just leave a comment on the post.

Cheers!
    Marcel38 likes this.
    10-12-11 02:47 PM
    Hi,

I released a little read-only Beta, this is not yet for PlayBook, because of app world publishing delays.
    But this version is otherwise exactly the same as the one on the PB, if you feel like trying it to get an idea of the UI and functionnality, go ahead and grab it on my website www.smugrik.aunetic.org , and if you'd like anything changed before the PlayBook release, just leave a comment on the post.

Cheers!
    Cool, this is beginning to look real nice, compliments.
    Smugrik likes this.
    10-13-11 08:47 AM
    Will this be only for KeePass db version 2?
    10-13-11 10:03 AM
    Will this be only for KeePass db version 2?
    Actually, this is now focused on KeePass db version 1.2 (Rijndael encryption only, no twofish yet), support for version 2 will come later...
    If your DB is not compatible, could you please be more specific about what version/encryption is your keepass DB? So that I'll have a look at it :-)

Thanks
    Last edited by Smugrik; 10-13-11 at 01:52 PM.
    10-13-11 01:25 PM
    I would think most people are using 2.0 by now? I am.
    10-13-11 03:07 PM
    Hard to say... I am using 1.2, that's why I focused on this version for now, once I get it all working fine, it shall not be too hard to add support to keepass 2, and it is the first enhancement in line.
    10-13-11 03:33 PM
    Actually, this is now focused on KeePass db version 1.2 (Rijndael encryption only, no twofish yet), support for version 2 will come later...
    If your DB is not compatible, could you please be more specific about what version/encryption is your keepass DB? So that I'll have a look at it :-)

Thanks
    I'm using BlackBerry KeePass 1.2.1528, the database was created on a BlackBerry (a 9630).
    I use a passkey to decrypt it, I don't remember selecting an encryption type (on an older version of 1.2). Is there a way I can determine this? It looks like the default in this version is AES.

Thanks
    Smugrik likes this.
    10-13-11 05:20 PM
    I'm using BlackBerry KeePass 1.2.1528, the database was created on a BlackBerry (a 9630).
    I use a passkey to decrypt it, I don't remember selecting an encryption type (on an older version of 1.2). Is there a way I can determine this? It looks like the default in this version is AES.

Thanks
    Thanks a lot for the info, I double checked, and your DB should be supported already in current kipass version, my version check procedure in this Beta is just too narrow, will be fixed in next release.

Default encryption is AES, TwoFish is actually only supported in KeePass 1.* series, I wonder if anybody uses it at all...
    10-13-11 06:06 PM
    @smugrik it is looking very good. kudos to you for managing what we all wanted but were not able to do.
    Smugrik likes this.
    10-17-11 03:18 PM

Thanks
    Hi Scott8586,

I released a new Beta that should fix the issue you were having, go get it here, let me know how it goes, thanks!

Cheers!
    10-22-11 10:06 AM
    Hi Smugrik,

Thanks for your efforts with KeePass, I love that app... Have you looked into the effort needed to support 2.0 files? all my files are 2.0...

I will definately buy you app if it does support 2.o Databases.

Thank you!
    Smugrik likes this.
    10-22-11 03:57 PM
    Hi Scott8586,

I released a new Beta that should fix the issue you were having, go get it here, let me know how it goes, thanks!

Cheers!
    Thanks Smugrik! This new version opened and read my KeePass database.
    Smugrik likes this.
    10-24-11 10:37 AM
    You would most-likely be wrong, since this site is dedicated to BlackBerry users, and KeePass for BlackBerry only supports the 1.x file format, "most people" (here) are using 1.x.

Desktop users only, may be using 2.x, but that file format is incompatible with the on-device clients, so not very useful if you sync them across like some of us do via FileScout + Dropbox.
    10-26-11 12:19 PM
    Hi,
    But this version is otherwise exactly the same as the one on the PB, if you feel like trying it to get an idea of the UI and functionnality, go ahead and grab it on my website www.smugrik.aunetic.org , and if you'd like anything changed before the PlayBook release, just leave a comment on the post. Cheers!
    So far, it looks great, but there are some minor buglets:

• No close button on the app, have to kill it from xkill or another terminal session
    • Support for Expires dates is completely off by +988 years in every case
    • Does not remember the last-opened database location
    • Typing in the correct DB password + Enter, does not unlock, you assert a required "Click" on the Open button instead of both
    • Options button does nothing (no Options yet?)
    • UI elements WAY too large, gaps between list too big, fonts too large (customizable option?)
    • Expanding window height introduces list/ui bug, redraw over elements, with no way tl clear it and start over again
    • No scrollbar to scroll down the list of password entries on the far-right side when displayed in a long, vertical list that extends below the bottom app border

I'm curious though, how porting this to AIR will help you get it working on the PlayBook, since the PlayBook itself, has no AIR client. Every place I've been with support for AIR apps claims the PlayBook is unsupported, and fails to do anything with it.

Is kiPass meant to be a desktop-only replacement?
    Smugrik likes this.
    10-26-11 12:30 PM
    Hi @setuid,
    First of all, many thanks for your detailed review, let me reply to your questions point by point:

No close button on the app, have to kill it from xkill or another terminal session
    I suppose you're using some Unix flavor, this is an interesting use case, I haven't tested the app on linux yet so not sure how it behaves there, on win and mac, the standard windows decorations are there... I'd be very interested to hear about what specific os/version you use, and what X desktop you have, along with the version of AIR (I heard Adobe recently decided to stop support AIR on linux, a lame move...)

Support for Expiration dates is completely off by +988 years in every case
    This is not a small issue... support for dates is still new in this version, and it was off in the very first Beta I released, should be ok now, but I will certainly give a closer look at this.

Does not remember the last-opened database location
    Yep, this is on plan for final release, the filename textbox will probably be changed to a dropdown list with the last DB opened.
    Not sure to do the same with Key files, as in some cases, users might want to disguise their keyfiles behind standard files...

Typing in the correct DB password + Enter, does not unlock, you assert a required "Click" on the Open button instead of both
    Right again, this is annoying me too :-) keyboard shortcuts and UI tweaks will come in the final release, not a priority now

Options button does nothing (no Options yet?)
    No options yet :-) there will be options menu later with things like auto-lock delay, delay before clearing copy-paste buffer, change DB password, expiration notifications etc...

UI elements WAY too large, gaps between list too big, fonts too large (customizable option?)
    This probably won't be customizable (or maybe it will, but no plans yet), right now this is actually a PlayBook app, so despite the fact that it is 1024*600 pixels, think 7 inches screen...
    For final releases, UI elements will be adapted to each targets UI, be it bigger desktop screens, or smaller BBX phones

Expanding window height introduces list/ui bug, redraw over elements, with no way tl clear it and start over again
    This should be fixed in latest Beta (I'll soon introduce a product page with proper version change logs, features and dev Roadmap) UI has been fixed at a minimum 1024*600 size, when resizing bigger, things shall now grow normally... wondering though if this also has to do about a weird compatibility issue like the Window decorations (close buttons...) not showing.

No scrollbar to scroll down the list of password entries on the far-right side when displayed in a long, vertical list that extends below the bottom app border
    Again, touch UI style, click and hold on the list, then move mouse button up or down to scroll through the list, as you would on a touch screen. This will be changed for a final desktop release, priority now is for PlayBook.

I'm curious though, how porting this to AIR will help you get it working on the PlayBook, since the PlayBook itself, has no AIR client. Every place I've been with support for AIR apps claims the PlayBook is unsupported, and fails to do anything with it.
    This is not actually ported to AIR, this is coded in pure AIR/Flex, it is coded in Adobe FlashBuilder, and all development and testing is made on the PlayBook, the code that runs on the desktop AIR app is exactly the same as the one from the PlayBook. I simply package it to a .air for release on the desktop rather than the standard .bar for PlayBook.

KiPass is mainly intended as a PlayBook client, desktop was a practical way to distribute a Beta, as I didn't want to release a half-backed app on the AppWorld.
    But AIR proved so easy to port that I'm now looking at iOS, Android and desktop, these versions will all come at a later point.

Cheers!!
    10-26-11 02:56 PM
    Hi Smugrik,

Thanks for your efforts with KeePass, I love that app... Have you looked into the effort needed to support 2.0 files? all my files are 2.0...

I will definately buy you app if it does support 2.o Databases.

Thank you!
    That's two ups for 2.0 support, will look at this for a 2.0 version :-)
    10-26-11 02:59 PM
    You would most-likely be wrong, since this site is dedicated to BlackBerry users, and KeePass for BlackBerry only supports the 1.x file format, "most people" (here) are using 1.x.

Desktop users only, may be using 2.x, but that file format is incompatible with the on-device clients, so not very useful if you sync them across like some of us do via FileScout + Dropbox.
    I think you would be the one that's wrong, I use the 2.0 format on my blackberry everyday and synchronize using dropbox between my computers and my blackberry, it is a separate version but made by the same guy....

link
    10-29-11 09:40 PM
    Hi,
    tonight, I submitted the first version of kipass to AppWorld, so it is now pending approval on RIM side.
    I didn't had as much time as I expected to finish this, I'm now a proud father, and it is a full-time assignment :-)
    So instead of the fully editable version, this one is read-only, but it will at least allow you to read your KeePass DB and copy/paste your passwords on the PlayBook as well as I do!

Important notice: it only supports KeePass 1.xx databases version, and there is no TwoFish encryption support (anybody mind TwoFish??), sorry for those who are left out...

If you're not sure whether your DB will be supported, grab the Desktop version for free on my website Smugrik : Music and programming and try it out! The Desktop is exactly the same as the PlayBook version... though PlayBook is more responsive...

App is for a buck, but for those who helped in the Beta stages, I'll put you on the testers list so you can get a free copy, hope this will work on the AppWorld, I'll PM you with instructions in the coming days.

Thanks again!
    11-28-11 05:33 PM
    Tested it out on desktop and seems to work fine and accomplishes what I need it to do. Looking forward to the AppWorld release
    Smugrik likes this.
    12-05-11 05:32 PM
    I'd pay for 2.0 and write support. Currently using the Android version which is read-only but does support 2.0 databases. Just letting it be known.
    Smugrik likes this.
    12-06-11 12:34 PM
138 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD