seems to play at lower quality
    10-17-12 12:19 PM
    Just purchased this AWESOME app! I just ran into a little issue with an mkv of subbed anime. If I tap the screen to remove the player controls, the screen goes black; it comes back if I tap it again. I've tried to enable 'auto hide player controls' but it does the same. Is it the software or is it the video?

EDIT: Ok; on further examination, it appears the screen goes black when there are no subtitles to display. When there's a subtitle, the screen lights up again.
    EDIT: You could convert the softsubs to hardsubs and play the video without subtitles enabled in KalemSoft. I know it doesn't fix the problem, but at least there is an option which should hopefully work as a workaround until the bug is fixed.
    Last edited by SifJar; 10-17-12 at 12:47 PM.
    10-17-12 12:32 PM
    Just purchased this AWESOME app! I just ran into a little issue with an mkv of subbed anime. If I tap the screen to remove the player controls, the screen goes black; it comes back if I tap it again. I've tried to enable 'auto hide player controls' but it does the same. Is it the software or is it the video?

EDIT: Ok; on further examination, it appears the screen goes black when there are no subtitles to display. When there's a subtitle, the screen lights up again.
    I am having the same exact problem but I am playing M4V files. I mentioned it earlier in the thread but haven't got an answer. If I either tap the screen or enable autohiding the toolbar, the screen goes blank, so I have no way of getting the toolbar to disappear.
    10-17-12 12:49 PM
    Do you know ES File Explorer, the Android app? I use it all the time to stream videos from Windows network shares.
    Just bought a PB, managed to use ES File Explorer to connect to my NAS, assuming this app fixes the AC3 audio issue with mkv files and improves support for avi/mp4, will this app allow playing those files from my NAS using ES File Explorer or on it's own?
    10-17-12 02:40 PM
    There might be a misunderstanding: ES File Explorer plays formats supported by the Playbook, so AC3 is a no go. KalemSoft Media Player handles AC3 very well, but it won't connect to your NAS. You can only stream from your PC using the streamer supplied by Kalemsoft.
    cfernand likes this.
    10-17-12 03:01 PM
    Can anyone test rmvb files? Someone says it doesnt... And description says it does... So...?
    bigdaddycool74 likes this.
    10-17-12 03:23 PM
    any plans for a mac os version server?
    10-17-12 10:52 PM
    Can anyone test rmvb files? Someone says it doesnt... And description says it does... So...?
    I just put a few RMVB and RM videos on the PB as a test. In each case, KS Media Player crashed before displaying a single frame.
    10-18-12 12:17 AM
    any plans for a mac os version server?
    IW would be good if they did a java based server for media files, I know it's unlikely to do all the streaming of direct input sources but transcoding / streaming on the fly should be possible shouldn't it .
    10-18-12 01:01 AM
    I just put a few RMVB and RM videos on the PB as a test. In each case, KS Media Player crashed before displaying a single frame.
    Someone said "the player appears black without sound too"
    Description says it works rmvb... But it seems doesnt work.
    10-18-12 04:24 AM
    I would add here that you could easily play files from a NAS if you map the NAS media folders you wish to play to virtual drives on your PC and then simply add them to the KalemSoft streamer server as you would add any other local folders.
    I've done just that and it works like a charm. Even when the NAS is in the standby/power saving mode it wakes up when I am accessing any of it's folders while streaming through the KalemSoft player.

I hope this helps.

This app is awesome. I was even able to watch a movie (720p HD, MKV file) using my phone's (BBerry Torch) 3G network (tethering) - amazing. I only watched a few minutes of it for testing, but it seemed to work well.

5 stars app
    NoraMelua likes this.
    10-18-12 10:05 AM
    If someone with non-working RMVB files contact us and provide some samples, that would be greatly appreciated. All the files we tested the player with work fine in our case. You can use our support system here and we can provide an ftp server to upload them to.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    Ishaq786 likes this.
    10-18-12 01:19 PM
    If someone with non-working RMVB files contact us and provide some samples, that would be greatly appreciated. All the files we tested the player with work fine in our case. You can use our support system here and we can provide an ftp server to upload them to.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    10-18-12 01:22 PM
    one question, does it need an internet connection to play what is stored on pb? I bouth a music up app last time and it does *not play pb stored files if not connected the server.
    10-18-12 02:06 PM
    Yes it does play files directly from the Playbook without Internet access.
    You can also set up the server to work only within your own LAN so when you are at home your Playbook connects directly to the server rather than trying to play files over the Internet.
    osbook likes this.
    10-18-12 06:26 PM
    IW would be good if they did a java based server for media files, I know it's unlikely to do all the streaming of direct input sources but transcoding / streaming on the fly should be possible shouldn't it .
    agreed, just like airvideo or some similar apps on ios would make playbook complete
    10-18-12 10:53 PM
    just bought this morning, works like a charm, got a silly question though, while playing a local video, which button or gesture should i use to go back to the main menu? just can't find it. anyone? thx
    10-18-12 10:56 PM
    the stop button
    kenchang83 likes this.
    10-18-12 11:44 PM
    @kalemsoft is the video size issue fixed? When will you provide an update?
    10-19-12 12:16 AM
    @kalemsoft is the video size issue fixed? When will you provide an update?
    I would like an update too, I have just submitted a ticket re this

Regards

Damian
    NoraMelua likes this.
    10-19-12 12:38 AM
    Quick update: We fixed the 2GB file issue. The black screen issue hiding the toolbar with some files bdegrande originally reported is fixed as well. We are working on improving playback performance further with natively unsupported file types (e.g., AC3 audio). HDMI audio will be fixed as well. There will be a new release soon.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    Last edited by kalemsoft; 10-19-12 at 12:43 PM.
    10-19-12 11:59 AM
    Quick update: We fixed the 2GB file issue. The black screen issue hiding the toolbar with some files bdegrande originally reported is fixed as well. We are working on improving playback performance further with natively non-supported file types (e.g., AC3 audio). HDMI audio will be fixed as well. There will be a new release soon.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    Great news looking forward to the release

Regards

Damian
    10-19-12 12:25 PM
    Yeah hope AC3 support will be enhanced... I tried playing a 720p video with AC3 audio (around 1 hour long) but the video lags behind the audio. Look forward to the release
    10-19-12 12:29 PM
    We are going to work on DLNA support. Mac support may be an option but not in the near future may be.

Regarding the RIM demo video, it is in protected storage that doesn't allow read access to third party apps, that is why it doesn't play.
    Thanks. Yes after some further examination I discovered that many other apps don't even display the file in the file list. I was was able to use Ghost Commander to see the file and check it's permissions which confirmed what you indicate.
    Last edited by rjedge54; 10-19-12 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Add context.
    10-19-12 02:56 PM
    I just installed app but no luck playing or locating mkv files stored on playbook. The file size is 4.3g mkv with dts. I understood that this release would play all formats?
    10-20-12 05:29 PM
1,236 ... 34567 ...