I tried to play 17~19Mbps bitrate 1080i .ts but because kalemsoft player cannot deinterlaced, it results in interlace lines and due to high bitrate it stutters... Any hope in deinterlacing?
    Could you please provide the full audio/video codec information the player reports?
    10-13-12 02:50 PM
    I think I may have just found out the reason why this is crashing - System Locale for Non-Unicode Programs - I have it set to "Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan)", and when I read that you're not able to reproduce the problem I changed it to "English (Canada)", restarted and the problem went away, I was able to browse into folders with Chinese characters. Switched back to the Chinese locale and the problem came back.

Let me know if you still need me to contact your support system.
    Hi rogeryen,

We just released 1.1.2 to address this issue. Could you please try it and let us know how it works?

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    10-13-12 03:42 PM
    Could you please provide the full audio/video codec information the player reports?

photo hosting

I tried a 1080 ts file, same issue as the mkv, seems playbook cannot keep up - sound quicker than picture and picture slow.

I can send you sample its 128mb

This is a freeview hd recorded programme
    10-13-12 03:58 PM
    As is almost always the case with these apps that also require an application to be installed on a PC, this one also only work with Windows. It is really frustrating for us Mac owners and also makes the "Apple ties you to their eco system" disclaimer by many anti-Apple people a much weaker argument. Look at almost all of the file and media sharing apps available for the Playbook, almost all of them require a Windows application installed on a PC. As a fairly recent Apple iMac user, I am now beginning to understand *some* of their complaints.

I also don't see any way to stream media from an internet location, there doesn't seem to be a way to enter a URL. Does it only stream via your Streaming app installed at the source? DLNA support would also be wanted as I have my music installed on my BB 9900 which has a 32GB SD card and with 7.1 supports DLNA and would like to stream my music from it instead of using up space on my PB as well.

PS I have downloaded and purchased this app for other uses, but this was a disappointing discovery. I also found one video on my PB that it won't play..the RIM Demo video. I will submit more details about it via your support option.
    10-13-12 03:59 PM
    Going to test on pc
    plays fine - and indeed shows it is 50fps (surprised me!).

upload picture

Also tried some samples from here:Video testing samples

Tried 1-3, not quite up to playing these but interestingly no.3 (monsters) was slow but after being run through watchmore was fine - guess after being transcoded it helps ?
    Last edited by damianiw; 10-13-12 at 05:24 PM. Reason: updated
    10-13-12 04:07 PM
    Looks good, thanks!

Also I'd like to make a suggestion to add a button for going back to the "upper" folder separate from the file structure view, since if the folder list is long it's actually a lot of hassle to go back - I'd have to scroll all the way back top in order to go up a folder.
    Last edited by rogeryen; 10-13-12 at 08:19 PM.
    10-13-12 05:56 PM
    @kalemsoft Do you know of any reason for which your player wouldn't list a video file that can be seen in PB video player? I'm having that issue right now. Standard 6GB H264/AAC file.
    10-13-12 06:01 PM
    I installed it today. I cannot seem to get the server working on xp running KalemServer 1.1.2. Nothing on the website mentions Playbook, even a search there on Playbook yields nothing. Anyway, I got an account, I think. But the server on the xp machine keeps complaining about ports 7000 and 7001 needing to be open or I must shut down firewall. I did manage to go into my linksys configuration page and forward those ports. I think. I am awaiting support help. Until I can get the streaming going I am not happy. You need a very savvy user, it seems. Still, it works on the playbook, just not yet doing what I bought it for. If anyone knows how to set up the network, please advise.
    10-13-12 06:59 PM
    How does it compare with other streamers like ORB or Emit?
    10-13-12 08:59 PM
    I have a couple of questions about this app, does it support all of the data found in m4v files? For example I have m4v videos and when I play them on my ipod I can skip to the next chapter, when I play that same file on my PlayBook, I have to drag the status bar and just try and get as close as possible to where I want to be. Also does this app have the ability to slow down or speed up the video playback? Any insight on these questions would be greatly appreciated!
    10-13-12 09:46 PM
    Works great for me other than the HDMI sound output (I'm hoping this can be fixed fairly easily). I'm able to play MKV files with DTS or AC3 audio locally and streaming without a problem as well as flac music files. I got errors on my Win 7 PC about ports being opened with the streamer as well even though the app is white listed and I have UPnP enabled on my router, it says something about it might not work with 4G but I have a Wi-Fi PlayBook anyway. Streaming still works fine for streaming and the menu is very fast over Wi-Fi.
    10-13-12 10:31 PM
    Yes, it will play DTS audio on the device locally without transcoding. If you stream a file with DTS audio from your PC, then it will get transcoded on the fly during streaming.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    I have transferred a H264/DTS video into the PlayBook and your application does not recognize it. That's why I asked if you can play this type of file locally. By locally, I meant without any sort of network streaming, for that I have StreamingNow, LAN File Explorer, and SonicAir).

I will try to transfer a H264/AC3 video and see if it plays it. Otherwise, your app is the same as the others.
    10-13-12 10:33 PM
    @kalemsoft Do you know of any reason for which your player wouldn't list a video file that can be seen in PB video player? I'm having that issue right now. Standard 6GB H264/AAC file.
    I have the same problem, I have a 4.5GB mp4 h.264/aac and it is not listed in kalemsoft player, and can be seen in native video player. No matter how I rename it, it won't show. So there is a maximum file size?
    10-13-12 11:04 PM
    @kalemsoft I just uploaded a Sample H264/DTS file (100MB) and it does detect the types. Good work.

However, playback is very slow, which makes it unwatchable. We know the PB does not support AC3/DTS at the moment.

Let's hope they add support for these codecs so videos can be played using hardware.

PS. Please increase the maximum file size for local video playback.
    10-13-12 11:50 PM
    As is almost always the case with these apps that also require an application to be installed on a PC, this one also only work with Windows. It is really frustrating for us Mac owners and also makes the "Apple ties you to their eco system" disclaimer by many anti-Apple people a much weaker argument. Look at almost all of the file and media sharing apps available for the Playbook, almost all of them require a Windows application installed on a PC. As a fairly recent Apple iMac user, I am now beginning to understand *some* of their complaints.

I also don't see any way to stream media from an internet location, there doesn't seem to be a way to enter a URL. Does it only stream via your Streaming app installed at the source? DLNA support would also be wanted as I have my music installed on my BB 9900 which has a 32GB SD card and with 7.1 supports DLNA and would like to stream my music from it instead of using up space on my PB as well.

PS I have downloaded and purchased this app for other uses, but this was a disappointing discovery. I also found one video on my PB that it won't play..the RIM Demo video. I will submit more details about it via your support option.
    Hi,

We are going to work on DLNA support. Mac support may be an option but not in the near future may be. You may be already aware but there are programs like Wine that lets you run Windows applications on Mac. Some of our users could successfully run our Windows streamer this way in the past.

Regarding the RIM demo video, it is in protected storage that doesn't allow read access to third party apps, that is why it doesn't play. Otherwise, it is a supported video type and would play without issues. Other similar players don't play it either for this reason. Actually, some doesn't even show that in the list. If you know one that plays it, let us know and we can look into that.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    rjedge54 likes this.
    10-14-12 02:00 AM
    I have the same problem, I have a 4.5GB mp4 h.264/aac and it is not listed in kalemsoft player, and can be seen in native video player. No matter how I rename it, it won't show. So there is a maximum file size?
    We are looking at local file size issue. Remote files over 2GB should play fine though.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    10-14-12 02:02 AM
    I have a couple of questions about this app, does it support all of the data found in m4v files? For example I have m4v videos and when I play them on my ipod I can skip to the next chapter, when I play that same file on my PlayBook, I have to drag the status bar and just try and get as close as possible to where I want to be. Also does this app have the ability to slow down or speed up the video playback? Any insight on these questions would be greatly appreciated!
    There is no chapter support in the player. You need to skip using slider bar or skip forward/backward buttons on the player bar. The skip amount for these buttons are configurable from player settings. You cannot slow down or speed up playback.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    10-14-12 02:05 AM
    Will not connect to server to create an account? So does not work? Why do I need to create an account for the server app? How do I get a refund?

Edit Reinstalling server v 1.1.2 fixed the problem here.
    Last edited by nnomad; 10-14-12 at 07:31 PM.
    10-14-12 04:12 AM
    Will not connect to server to create an account? So does not work? Why do I need to create an account for the server app? How do I get a refund?
    If you have a unique username assigned, select, "I already have an account" and you should be all set.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    10-14-12 06:44 AM
    Is this app going to go on sale anytime soon? Is this the best media player for Playbook?
    10-14-12 09:08 AM
    Hi,
    I have the same issue like others - palyer cant't see my x264.mkv file (4,6Gb).
    I've just bought app and in fact cant play my movies...

I have this question also - should it play subtitles in .txt file? Because it doesn't

Regards
    10-14-12 09:26 AM
    I think it's an issue with files over 2GB locally, I've been streaming files up to 10GB without a problem that are stored on my Synology NAS and WDTV Live Hub (just need to map a network drive on your PC for them then add to media library in the streamer app).

In regard to sub-titles. Would it be possible to add a setting in the option to leave sub-titles unchecked by default? I rarely, if ever have a need for sub-titles unless it's the hard coded subs for non english parts. I understand some people require subs so having this as an option would be great instead of having to de-select sub-titles every time I play a video (also confusing for the wife and kids).
    10-14-12 09:55 AM
    I have transferred a H264/DTS video into the PlayBook and your application does not recognize it. That's why I asked if you can play this type of file locally. By locally, I meant without any sort of network streaming, for that I have StreamingNow, LAN File Explorer, and SonicAir).

I will try to transfer a H264/AC3 video and see if it plays it. Otherwise, your app is the same as the others.
    It is probably size limitation we are fixing now if the file is over 2GB. Otherwise DTS codec is supported.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    10-14-12 10:20 AM
    I installed it today. I cannot seem to get the server working on xp running KalemServer 1.1.2. Nothing on the website mentions Playbook, even a search there on Playbook yields nothing. Anyway, I got an account, I think. But the server on the xp machine keeps complaining about ports 7000 and 7001 needing to be open or I must shut down firewall. I did manage to go into my linksys configuration page and forward those ports. I think. I am awaiting support help. Until I can get the streaming going I am not happy. You need a very savvy user, it seems. Still, it works on the playbook, just not yet doing what I bought it for. If anyone knows how to set up the network, please advise.
    We replied to your support ticket. For further assistance, you can follow up with that one.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    10-14-12 10:23 AM
    Already paid and my paypal charged me for $5.25, but the status in app world for kalemsoft media player still purchase eventough I already purchased it. I cant download. Need a help here....

Update:
    Nevermind, tried to click purchase again and the message said that I Already purchased it and then the download start. There's alot of problem on App World since my update to 2.1 fw not to mention low speed download on it. Damn You RIM!
    10-14-12 11:24 AM
1,236 12345 ...