Hi all,

We are pleased to announce that our media player/streamer application KalemSoft Media Player, one of the best selling WebOS applications, has been released on the app world. What can this application do?

1. It is a native media player that can play pretty much any audio/video format and codec on the Playbook including those that are not supported by the hardware.

2. It can stream media from DLNA/UPnP servers or NAS drives with DLNA support.

3. It can stream media from your home computer right to your device with a simple and free server application KalemSoft Media Streamer installed on your PC. The PC does light-weight transcoding on the fly, so again, it is able to stream all common audio/video formats without requiring conversion or transfer to the device manually.

4. It can stream from attached devices such as TV cards, webcams, etc. on the PC.

5. It supports DVB subtitles, external SRT and embbedded SSA or plain text subtitles.

6. It can record live streams or streamed media from KalemSoft Media Streamer on the device for quick access in the future.

More information can be found at our website or the app world.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    Last edited by kalemsoft; 03-25-13 at 02:09 PM.
    10-12-12 03:34 AM
    It's great to have a media player app which plays multiple formats but it'll be better if you can provide free trial (maybe just 3 days) to let us experience it first.

I tried another media player (QMPlayer) in the appworld, it's free though but even if it supports multiple formats, it cannot play HD videos, it will stutter badly.
    fabio984, SifJar and Haytham Hamad like this.
    10-12-12 04:08 AM
    10-12-12 04:27 AM
    If you also develop an application for Synology make it available to their NAS, I will buy your PB app in a heart beat.

Synology has only Plex Media server as one of their packages, and Plex does not develop app for PB.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    portal likes this.
    10-12-12 07:46 AM
    Looks nice. I hope that it can play hd videos, normally if using hw acceleration. Also, free trial will be nice
    kdeckels likes this.
    10-12-12 07:46 AM
    I don't want to bang the drum too much as this is my very first post here, but this app is so good that it finally pulled me out of lurker mode! (I've been an avid reader since I bought a Playbook back in May and found a lot of useful help while browsing these forums. Thank you, Crackberry members!)

So all I want to say is that this app plays 1080p videos without stuttering and supports AC3 audio, the one thing that was sorely missing on the Playbook so far. mkv, flv and mov formats play without conversion. The interface is excellent as well.

I do, however, have one very annoying problem: Streaming videos from my Windows 7 PC simply doesn't work. ("Could not connect to the streaming server") Both the Playbook and the computer are on the same network, the streamer software even displays its "Status: Connected" message… What could be wrong?

Oh, and the latest version of KalemSoft Media Streamer (v1.1.0) isn't compatible with the Playbook. I had to install v1.0.6. KalemSoft, you should mention this in the AppWorld description.
    10-12-12 08:01 AM
    I don't want to bang the drum too much as this is my very first post here, but this app is so good that it finally pulled me out of lurker mode! (I've been an avid reader since I bought a Playbook back in May and found a lot of useful help while browsing these forums. Thank you, Crackberry members!)

So all I want to say is that this app plays 1080p videos without stuttering and supports AC3 audio, the one thing that was sorely missing on the Playbook so far. mkv, flv and mov formats play without conversion. The interface is excellent as well.

I do, however, have one very annoying problem: Streaming videos from my Windows 7 PC simply doesn't work. ("Could not connect to the streaming server") Both the Playbook and the computer are on the same network, the streamer software even displays its "Status: Connected" message… What could be wrong?

Oh, and the latest version of KalemSoft Media Streamer (v1.1.0) isn't compatible with the Playbook. I had to install v1.0.6. KalemSoft, you should mention this in the AppWorld description.
    Hi NoraMelua,

There is a Playbook version of the streamer (v1.1.1). The website had a problem updating the links this morning. Please refresh your browser if you still see the stale links. If you upgrade to this version your streaming problem should be solved. Let us know if you have any issues.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    NoraMelua likes this.
    10-12-12 08:42 AM
    Can this play video from a NAS or does it require the custom streamer on a PC? The appworld info states that the streaming support is only for streaming from the KalemSoft Media Streamer, but what I really want is a player that can stream from samba, nfs, or even a web server (although samba shares is probably the most common way for people to access NAS.) Some other people may want dlna or upnp, but my primary request is a media player that can stream from some existing standard as opposed to needing yet another server.
    10-12-12 08:45 AM
    Thanks for the application, just waiting for a few reviews for buying it! Looks very promising.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    10-12-12 08:53 AM
    Hi NoraMelua,

There is a Playbook version of the streamer (v1.1.1). The website had a problem updating the links this morning. Please refresh your browser if you still see the stale links. If you upgrade to this version your streaming problem should be solved. Let us know if you have any issues.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    Problem solved, thank you very much for the quick reply!

Another question: Is it possible to stream DVDs directly without converting them first? I added my DVD drive as a streaming source and was surprised to see the VIDEO_TS folder including VOB files within the app. I take it that only supported file types are shown, so in theory this should work? The player started buffering, but nothing happened after that.
    10-12-12 09:20 AM
    Can this play video from a NAS or does it require the custom streamer on a PC? The appworld info states that the streaming support is only for streaming from the KalemSoft Media Streamer, but what I really want is a player that can stream from samba, nfs, or even a web server (although samba shares is probably the most common way for people to access NAS.) Some other people may want dlna or upnp, but my primary request is a media player that can stream from some existing standard as opposed to needing yet another server.
    It has the ability to play but not to browse the files from a NAS. On other platforms, we depend on a third-party UPNP browser or remote mounting for this. So, currently this is not supported on Playbook, but we are working on it...

Currently streaming option requires our streamer server on a PC.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    10-12-12 09:21 AM
    Can this play video from a NAS or does it require the custom streamer on a PC? The appworld info states that the streaming support is only for streaming from the KalemSoft Media Streamer, but what I really want is a player that can stream from samba, nfs, or even a web server (although samba shares is probably the most common way for people to access NAS.)
    Do you know ES File Explorer, the Android app? I use it all the time to stream videos from Windows network shares.
    10-12-12 09:24 AM
    Problem solved, thank you very much for the quick reply!

Another question: Is it possible to stream DVDs directly without converting them first? I added my DVD drive as a streaming source and was surprised to see the VIDEO_TS folder including VOB files within the app. I take it that only supported file types are shown, so in theory this should work? The player started buffering, but nothing happened after that.
    Can the VOB file be encrypted? If it is straight from the DVD, it probably is. Otherwise it should work ok.
    10-12-12 10:00 AM
    Can the VOB file be encrypted? If it is straight from the DVD, it probably is. Otherwise it should work ok.
    FYI, there are programs you can install on your computer to decrypt DVDs on-the-fly. Examples of such apps are DVD43 (32-bit only) or DVDFab PassKey Lite (32 and 64-bit, but I have had more success with DVD43 in the past. Maybe PassKey could work for you though).

Installing one of these should probably allow you to stream any DVD straight from your computer to your PB. (I haven't tried this as I personally have no real use of a media player on my PB, so haven't bought the app).
    NoraMelua likes this.
    10-12-12 10:14 AM
    kalemsoft: Thanks for the quick reply

NoraMelua: I do know of ES File Explorer, but I have not tried it. Do you know if can stream to an alternate media player? (actually does it stream to an android player or to the RIM one?) Most of my content is not supported by the native RIM player, but I'm encouraged that it may be supported by the KalemSoft one.
    10-12-12 11:01 AM
    nice work! the interface its very simple and the list of features are great, but I have performance issues with 720p mkv files. atached a screenshot of the file.

The file is just a mkv renamed to avi

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails KalemSoft Media Player for Playbook Released-uploadfromtaptalk1350058101736.jpg  
    10-12-12 11:08 AM
    Thanks. It plays unprotected VOB files just fine, but not the DVD as a whole. Not a big deal, as I can convert the DVD content. All in all I'm very happy with your app and gave it a 5-star-rating in AppWorld.

FYI, there are programs you can install on your computer to decrypt DVDs on-the-fly. Examples of such apps are DVD43 (32-bit only) or DVDFab PassKey Lite (32 and 64-bit, but I have had more success with DVD43 in the past. Maybe PassKey could work for you though).

Installing one of these should probably allow you to stream any DVD straight from your computer to your PB. (I haven't tried this as I personally have no real use of a media player on my PB, so haven't bought the app).
    Very interesting, I have to try this!

NoraMelua: I do know of ES File Explorer, but I have not tried it. Do you know if can stream to an alternate media player? (actually does it stream to an android player or to the RIM one?) Most of my content is not supported by the native RIM player, but I'm encouraged that it may be supported by the KalemSoft one.
    AFAIK it's not possible for an Android app to stream to RIM's native video player. What I did in the past is that I sideloaded "Rockplayer" (another Android app) and ES File Explorer would then allow me to select which Android video player to use upon selecting a file. Of course Rockplayer does not support any new formats, but it has some pretty neat features like subtitle support, resume on load and different aspect ratios. I used this setup all the time before KalemSoft came along.

nice work! the interface its very simple and the list of features are great, but I have performance issues with 720p mkv files. atached a screenshot of the file.
    Not too helpful, I know, but I have several files of the same format and resolution and they play smooth as butter. Without subtitles though, so maybe this is the problem?
    10-12-12 11:31 AM
    subtitles off, and the same problem here. I have many types of files on my pb and only this file present issues

I hope it's only a minor bug. Play MKVs and AC3 on playbook is awesome, thanks again

These is the detailed info extracted with kmplayer:

C:\Users\Jed\Desktop\Video\Suits.S01E04.720p.HDTV. X264-DIMENSION.mkv
    General
    Unique ID : 196877009267877802109752384074662255806 (0x941D21FBF8E344579542020ADCBB9CBE)
    Complete name : C:\Users\Jed\Desktop\Video\Suits.S01E04.720p.HDTV. X264-DIMENSION.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 2
    File size : 1.10 GiB
    Duration : 42mn 50s
    Overall bit rate : 3 662 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-07-14 21:16:13
    Writing application : mkvmerge v3.1.0 ('Happy up here') built on Jan 19 2010 12:09:24
    Writing library : libebml v0.7.9 + libmatroska v0.8.1
    Video #1
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : [email protected]
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 8 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Bit rate : 3 205 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.145
    Stream size : 982 MiB (88%)
    Writing library : x264 core 116 r2019 9cc407d
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=8 / deblock=1:-2:-2 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=5 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Language : English
    Default : No
    Forced : No
    Audio #2
    ID : 2
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : A_AC3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 384 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 118 MiB (10%)
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No
    10-12-12 11:51 AM
    jed57x:
    Sorry, spoke too soon. All my 1080p MP4 videos play beautifully, but 720p MKVs are indeed a bit jerky when stored locally! Strangely enough they stream fine from my PC though.
    10-12-12 12:08 PM
    jed57x:
    Sorry, spoke too soon. All my 1080p MP4 videos play beautifully, but 720p MKVs are indeed a bit jerky when stored locally! Strangely enough they stream fine from my PC though.
    That's because the server does on-the-fly transcoding before streaming it to your PB, so it's not actually playing in 720p MKV on the PB

It's great to have a media player app which plays multiple formats but it'll be better if you can provide free trial (maybe just 3 days) to let us experience it first..
    I second this motion. I would quite like to try playing about with it, but don't want to commit to paying for it until I see if I would have use for it.
    Last edited by SifJar; 10-12-12 at 12:24 PM.
    10-12-12 12:11 PM
    Just purchased this app and I've got to say, it's fantastic. It's playing everything I've thrown at it without any issues. No more converting videos, now just load and play. Great job, thank you.
    Slabs1960 likes this.
    10-12-12 12:37 PM
    Can anyone tell me if this app can play 1080p ts or tp or m2ts files smoothly? I have many 1080p ts and tp files (mainly korean artists live performances ripped from HDTV) and mostly with AC3 audio too.

If can play ts/tp then I'll buy it
    malgpz900 likes this.
    10-12-12 12:47 PM
    I have Kalemsoft Media Player for my HP TouchPad and it was/is a game changer for the device. It made the TP a useful and enjoyable media device. I foresee this being the case with the PlayBook too. I am just going to wait for the sale price ($6.99 initial release price) before I buy in.

PS, I linked to your app in App World in a thread over on the support forums on Blackberry.com http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...s/td-p/1736527
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 10-12-12 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Added BB Support Forums blurb.
    10-12-12 01:06 PM
    I like the interface. I am playing back locally stored videos, but can't get rid of the playback toolbar to see the entire screen. When I choose the auto-hide option from settings, it blanks out the entire screen after only a few seconds of playback.
    10-12-12 01:07 PM
    How come this needs a streamer/transcoder to be run on the PC? If it has the codecs built in to be able to play all of these formats locally, why can't it just browse the SMB shares and stream the videos like any number of Android file-manager apps already can??? (Ghost Commander, ES File Explorer, etc...) Seems pointless and unnecessarily complicated to me.

TRJB
    10-12-12 01:30 PM
1,236 123 ...