Here again.

Using Twonky for stream under de DLNA protocol I must add manually the subtitles. And the subtitles files must be in the playbook, The app doesn't see the srt files. This is a fault of twonky or the kalemsoft player?
    12-27-12 08:39 AM
    just purchased this app and its absolutly brilliant.

plays media from my pc no problem and its more stable than my wives galaxy tab. no more stuttering when playing.

awesome work and thank you.

well worth the �5 I paid for it.
    kalemsoft likes this.
    12-27-12 12:44 PM
    Here again.

Using Twonky for stream under de DLNA protocol I must add manually the subtitles. And the subtitles files must be in the playbook, The app doesn't see the srt files. This is a fault of twonky or the kalemsoft player?
    It depends on the server. Normally DLNA wasn't designed for external subtitle support. Some servers provide extensions for this, but the original spec itself doesn't cover it. Since it is server dependent, we decided to implement this on the client side. On the other hand, embedded subtitles (i.e., if the subtitle file is encoded in a separate track into the movie), such as an mkv file with subtitle tracks, will work as usual though.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    12-27-12 02:08 PM
    Please sort out sort out DVB subtitles on .ts files

Many thanks
    12-27-12 04:17 PM
    Noob question: I have a wifi router with a usb port to be able to attach a portable drive. Can this play media stored on an external usb drive attached to the router on my playbook even if my windows 7 notebook computer is not turned on? If so, does it require a media server software to reside on the external drive? Thanks.
    12-28-12 02:49 PM
    Is it USB 1 or 2? 1 can only stream up to 12 Mbips. 2 is almost 500.
    12-28-12 03:18 PM
    Is it USB 1 or 2? 1 can only stream up to 12 Mbips. 2 is almost 500.
    USB 2.0
    12-28-12 04:06 PM
    Would the sorting of folders be sorted in upnp
    12-28-12 09:55 PM
    Noob question: I have a wifi router with a usb port to be able to attach a portable drive. Can this play media stored on an external usb drive attached to the router on my playbook even if my windows 7 notebook computer is not turned on? If so, does it require a media server software to reside on the external drive? Thanks.
    Which router? If it has a DLNA server option it may work very well.
    12-28-12 10:10 PM
    Which router? If it has a DLNA server option it may work very well.
    Netgear WNDR4300. It does have DLNA, but the router seems to be very "applecentric" with most of it's features geared towards ios. Would it need additional software to act as a DLNA server for KalemSoft to work on my Playbook strictly through the wifi network?
    12-28-12 11:25 PM
    NetGear calls their DLNA server ReadyDLNA but, as far as I can tell, it is really just a re-branded version of MiniDLNA.
    It's the same server NetGear use on their ReadyNAS product.
    There should be no reason that it wouldn't work with the KalemSoft Player. No additional software would be required.

KalemSoft has tested the app with MiniDLNA and so have I.
    burgene likes this.
    12-29-12 09:06 AM
    NetGear calls their DLNA server ReadyDLNA but, as far as I can tell, it is really just a re-branded version of MiniDLNA.
    It's the same server NetGear use on their ReadyNAS product.
    There should be no reason that it wouldn't work with the KalemSoft Player. No additional software would be required.

KalemSoft has tested the app with MiniDLNA and so have I.
    Thanks.
    12-29-12 10:25 AM
    Ticket submitted
    F2, did you get the permissions fixed yet, I just installed kalemsoft and got same issue so I submitted a support ticket for same.
    12-29-12 10:39 AM
    F2, did you get the permissions fixed yet, I just installed kalemsoft and got same issue so I submitted a support ticket for same.
    Unfortunately, NO. I UN/REinstalled a few times, including doing Hard Resets between those processes. The Permissions for Kalemsoft are missing.

In our Ticket Discussion, they suggested the unenviable option of Wiping or Debricking but that's a real headache for a 64gig pb. I did mention to them that I recently UPgraded the Overdrive app and when I denied it Permission (Device Identifying Info), Overdrive would not run BUT it offered me another go at its Permissions when I tried running it the next time. Some other apps have also done that if they NEED a Permission. So I asked if maybe that "feature" (re-check re-option) could be added to Kalemsoft. They indicated that they would explore that if it is on option that they can employ as they thought the Permission dialog is an OS thing.

In short, I'm closed out of some features, I guess unless I want to WIPE and I do NOT want to wipe - hours, if not days do restore stuff.

I guess we could go generic mainstream and ask this in a separate thread about what happens if an Apps' Permission is missing. But I fear a WIPE will be the answer! I know that in the main (or completely), Android apps don't have an entry in the Permissions' List. But Kalemsoft is not Android from what I can tell.
    12-29-12 12:49 PM
    Unfortunately, NO. I UN/REinstalled a few times, including doing Hard Resets between those processes. The Permissions for Kalemsoft are missing.

In our Ticket Discussion, they suggested the unenviable option of Wiping or Debricking but that's a real headache for a 64gig pb. I did mention to them that I recently UPgraded the Overdrive app and when I denied it Permission (Device Identifying Info), Overdrive would not run BUT it offered me another go at its Permissions when I tried running it the next time. Some other apps have also done that if they NEED a Permission. So I asked if maybe that "feature" (re-check re-option) could be added to Kalemsoft. They indicated that they would explore that if it is on option that they can employ as they thought the Permission dialog is an OS thing.

In short, I'm closed out of some features, I guess unless I want to WIPE and I do NOT want to wipe - hours, if not days do restore stuff.

I guess we could go generic mainstream and ask this in a separate thread about what happens if an Apps' Permission is missing. But I fear a WIPE will be the answer! I know that in the main (or completely), Android apps don't have an entry in the Permissions' List. But Kalemsoft is not Android from what I can tell.
    We found a way for doing this for Java apps, but unfortunately our application is a native app. Do you know if Overdrive is a native app or not?

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    12-29-12 01:23 PM
    We found a way for doing this for Java apps, but unfortunately our application is a native app. Do you know if Overdrive is a native app or not?

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    Appreciate you looking into this.

Overdrive is an Android app. So, oddly, while it will re-ask for Permissions, it does not appear in the Security/Permissions list!!!!! Damned if you do and damned if you don't!

It appears DJenkins and I have different Permissions' issues. Mine pops up as soon as I open Kalemsoft on the pb. He apparently runs into it when trying to navigate or open a folder/file. But in both cases, Permissions for Kalemsoft are missing from Security.

Do you know what limitations I will or may run into?

Right now I am HAPPILY streaming from my Vista's F: drive while I sit elsewhere.
    12-29-12 02:30 PM
    First of all, thank you for a superb app. Easily the best I've found.

I wondered if someone could help me with using it as a music player.

I am linking up to a NAS drive with my MP3s.

It all works well but I find playing individual albums difficult.

I know you can view by album title but it's much more intuitive to choose an artist and then see their albums. At the moment, it seems the only option is to pick an artist and then have all their songs presented in alphabetical order.

How do I choose an artist, then browse what album I want and then play it in the correct order, not alphabetically?
    12-29-12 02:54 PM
    I am so annoyed after buying this that it doesn't do what I was led to believe, ie play media directly from network shares. Instead of being able to browse to my WD MyBook World Edition nas, or to shared drives on my pc's, select a video file and play, I need to have a media server installed and streaming first. No doubt this is just what a lot of other users want, but not me. If I had been able to try this out with a trial version, I wouldn't have wasted my money on this. To quote Gob Bluth - Come On!
    12-29-12 06:36 PM
    I am so annoyed after buying this that it doesn't do what I was led to believe, ie play media directly from network shares. Instead of being able to browse to my WD MyBook World Edition nas, or to shared drives on my pc's, select a video file and play, I need to have a media server installed and streaming first. No doubt this is just what a lot of other users want, but not me. If I had been able to try this out with a trial version, I wouldn't have wasted my money on this. To quote Gob Bluth - Come On!
    There is always [email protected] for a refund, but for me I'm having some permission issues but I'll still get use out of it, and looks like they are fixing issues so I'll welcome improvements over time.
    12-29-12 06:45 PM
    You didn't waste your money. Your WD MyBook World Edition NAS has Twonky DLNA media server built in. Just enable it and your set.

I don't know how you would have been lead to believe that it would play directly from network shares if you read this thread or read the description of the app before you bought it.
    It was very clearly stated.

"The streaming function comes in two flavors. In the first method, KalemSoft Media Player can directly stream audio and video files from a UPnP/DLNA enabled device such as a NAS drive without requiring any other server program. The application has been successfully tested with Twonky (e.g., My Book Live, QNAP, etc.), Windows Media, MediaTomb, MiniDLNA (e.g., ReadyNAS) servers. A full list of supported servers will be available later.

In the second method, a free application, KalemSoft Media Streamer, can be downloaded from KalemSoft website, KalemSoft - Products, and installed on a remote PC. The content is streamed from the PC to the device in a secure way directly."

The KalemSoft Media Streamer is a very small, 8,580 Kb. I have it running on a Windows Home Server PC.
    I also have a WD My Book Live running the same Twonky DLNA server that your drive has.
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-29-12 10:42 PM
    There is always [email protected] for a refund, but for me I'm having some permission issues but I'll still get use out of it, and looks like they are fixing issues so I'll welcome improvements over time.
    Since you accepted the permissions initially, you shouldn't have any problems even though you cannot change them now.

Searching developer tickets, we found an open change request for being able to change permissions within the application for tablet OS. Therefore, we cannot do anything special from within the application until this request is resolved by RIM. We believe we are already doing what is documented for setting the permissions and all users except a few do not have any problem with finding our application in Application permissions list. Moreover, according to Blackberry forums, it looks like it is not our application only which is sometimes missing in Application Permissions list. See this post for instance:

App not displayed in permissions - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Therefore, we still believe this must be a corner case bug in the OS. We will keep checking the open developer ticket and other possible solutions to this problem. For the time being, please always accept all permission requests when you are first prompted for this and you will never experience any problems.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    12-30-12 03:20 AM
    You didn't waste your money. You can stream directly from a NAS drive. If you are having issues and would like to know how to do it, please contact us
    12-30-12 03:28 AM
    You didn't waste your money. Your WD MyBook World Edition NAS has Twonky DLNA media server built in. Just enable it and your set.
    Yeah, that's the 2nd edition. I have the first (Blue Rings, 1tb single drive) which doesn't come with Twonky and although I have Twonky 7 SE installed it behaves really eratically, freezing every few seconds on 1080 material and flac files. Even mp3 streaming can be problematic. Which is why I would prefer to just browse to the share and play from there. I can do it with my Sumvision MKV enclosure ok with no freezing. I'll try it with the Playbook and see if it works any better with that.

I don't know how you would have been lead to believe that it would play directly from network shares if you read this thread or read the description of the app before you bought it.
    It was very clearly stated.
    What misled me was the sentence "It can play audio/video content stored locally on the device, a remote PC or a UPnP/DLNA enabled device." It obviously wasn't meant to be misleading and I just took it the wrong way.

***UPDATE***

I tried streaming a 720p AAC 2.0 file from the MyBook and it was freezing every couple of seconds. I'm going to try the UShare upnp/dlna server from teinturman and see how this performs.

***UPDATE 2***

The mediaplayer doesn't detect the UShare server. Maybe a future update will sort this out?
    Last edited by Mickrick; 12-30-12 at 01:33 PM. Reason: updated info
    12-30-12 07:21 AM
    Since you accepted the permissions initially, you shouldn't have any problems even though you cannot change them now.

Searching developer tickets, we found an open change request for being able to change permissions within the application for tablet OS. Therefore, we cannot do anything special from within the application until this request is resolved by RIM. We believe we are already doing what is documented for setting the permissions and all users except a few do not have any problem with finding our application in Application permissions list. Moreover, according to Blackberry forums, it looks like it is not our application only which is sometimes missing in Application Permissions list. See this post for instance:

App not displayed in permissions - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Therefore, we still believe this must be a corner case bug in the OS. We will keep checking the open developer ticket and other possible solutions to this problem. For the time being, please always accept all permission requests when you are first prompted for this and you will never experience any problems.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    Kalemsoft didn't ask for permissions during install, it did ask on first run and I did accept all permissions, and kalemsoft is not showing in the list in application security.
    12-30-12 07:41 AM
    Are there any tickets raised for requesting samba (windows shares) and ftp direct network access for future versions ? I'm sure by being the first playbook media app to provide dlna you'd find that easy if people requested it ?

Regards

Damian
    12-30-12 08:45 AM
1,236 ... 1718192021 ...