Just paid and downloaded it. 1080p and 720p plays well, no hiccups and works just as smooth as the native player. Love the file browsing, easier to locate my videos.

Apparently TS/TP files can be played but since they are very high bitrate interlaced videos (around 15Mbps bandwidth) they stutter badly. But then it's playbook's limitation, not the app's fault. I think the author can try to add deinterlacing, so interlaced videos will play but I am not sure will it be smooth or not.

though, because I connected it on wifi via a virtual wifi network, streamer doesn't work but I'll try it on a dedicated router next time. Overall, 4.9/5
    10-12-12 01:33 PM
    How come this needs a streamer/transcoder to be run on the PC? If it has the codecs built in to be able to play all of these formats locally, why can't it just browse the SMB shares and stream the videos like any number of Android file-manager apps already can??? (Ghost Commander, ES File Explorer, etc...) Seems pointless and unnecessarily complicated to me.

TRJB
    The streamer also transcodes the content, so it will play more smoothly on the PB. I guess it is to give a better overall experience, seeing as this way all or most videos should play pretty smoothly, assuming the transcoding is done well.
    10-12-12 02:18 PM
    Hi what are the remote file options and can it download? - I have found all pb apps appear to truncate downloads to 2gb (even Web browser) transferring from pc is fine.

Would like a trial as the UK price 7.00 is too much to try on a whim, if you're promising dlna playback without any pc based software running then 7.00 - is great.

Final question, are you the same kqlemsoft who made palm pilot apps years ago, the name rings a bell :-)
    10-12-12 03:48 PM
    Does it insert bookmarks so that you can continue watching where you left off?
    10-12-12 04:18 PM
    Hi what are the remote file options and can it download? - I have found all pb apps appear to truncate downloads to 2gb (even Web browser) transferring from pc is fine.

Would like a trial as the UK price 7.00 is too much to try on a whim, if you're promising dlna playback without any pc based software running then 7.00 - is great.

Final question, are you the same kqlemsoft who made palm pilot apps years ago, the name rings a bell :-)
    There is no 2GB limit for streaming. It cannot download in the background, but you can save the stream to the device while you are playing it. We will work on DLNA support, but we cannot guarantee a release with this feature at this moment unfortunately. However, we can guarantee that we will be releasing updates.

Yes, we are the same KalemSoft from old Palm OS days :-)

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    10-12-12 05:20 PM
    Does it insert bookmarks so that you can continue watching where you left off?
    Yes, there is a Resume feature in the player both for local and remote playback.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    10-12-12 05:21 PM
    Hmm..I am interested in this, thanks for developing, support looks very active...
    10-12-12 08:11 PM
    any plans to make streaming available over internet?
    10-12-12 09:23 PM
    Here's a defect for you guys to fix

Bought the app and installed the latest streamer, however the streamer crashes as soon as I press the shared folder in the app and of course the app would no longer connect to the server successfully. I suspect it's due to the app/software's lack of support for Unicode characters as I have folder/file names in Asian languages (trying to view a folder with all English seems to be ok)?

I guess at the mean time I'll just keep using StreamingNow.
    10-12-12 10:26 PM
    Great app so far. However, I can't seem to get the audio to go through hdmi when I plug my PlayBook into my TV. It always plays through the PlayBooks speakers. All other apps are sending the audio through hdmi when plugged in.
    10-12-12 10:28 PM
    Does it play files with DTS audio without transcoding?
    10-12-12 10:43 PM
    Here's a defect for you guys to fix

Bought the app and installed the latest streamer, however the streamer crashes as soon as I press the shared folder in the app and of course the app would no longer connect to the server successfully. I suspect it's due to the app/software's lack of support for Unicode characters as I have folder/file names in Asian languages (trying to view a folder with all English seems to be ok)?

I guess at the mean time I'll just keep using StreamingNow.
    Someone else reported this issue as well with Asian characters, but we couldn't reproduce it with the files he provided. If you are willing to help us reproduce it, please contact us via our support system KalemSoft Support System

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    10-13-12 01:27 AM
    Does it play files with DTS audio without transcoding?
    Yes, it will play DTS audio on the device locally without transcoding. If you stream a file with DTS audio from your PC, then it will get transcoded on the fly during streaming.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    10-13-12 01:29 AM
    Great app so far. However, I can't seem to get the audio to go through hdmi when I plug my PlayBook into my TV. It always plays through the PlayBooks speakers. All other apps are sending the audio through hdmi when plugged in.
    We will look into this. Thanks for reporting it.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    10-13-12 01:29 AM
    any plans to make streaming available over internet?
    It will stream over internet. If you are having issues, please contact us.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    10-13-12 01:30 AM
    looks a good app, but too pricey imo. qmplayer is free and generally plays everything I throw at it so far. good work and I'm always happy with these types of developments, but for �7 its too much
    10-13-12 02:21 AM
    looks a good app, but too pricey imo. qmplayer is free and generally plays everything I throw at it so far. good work and I'm always happy with these types of developments, but for �7 its too much
    That's definitely more pricey than the 6,49� I paid, if I'm not mistaken. RIM should really work on their AppWorld pricing model!
    Well, KalemSoft Media Player has a much better user interface, it can browse by folder and plays HD videos smoothly, which qmplayer can't - due to the lack of hardware acceleration. I think that's worth a few bucks.

kalemsoft: What about the mkv stuttering? Will this be fixed in an update?
    10-13-12 03:13 AM
    That's definitely more pricey than the 6,49€ I paid, if I'm not mistaken. RIM should really work on their AppWorld pricing model!
    Well, KalemSoft Media Player has a much better user interface, it can browse by folder and plays HD videos smoothly, which qmplayer can't - due to the lack of hardware acceleration. I think that's worth a few bucks.

kalemsoft: What about the mkv stuttering? Will this be fixed in an update?
    Could you please contact us via our support system KalemSoft Support System. We may need you to upload some samples to test out.

Thanks,
    KalemSoft
    10-13-12 03:54 AM
    I bought the app for the Touchpad when I bought it last year, and it made my Touchpad way more usable (until I loaded android on it). Glad to see Kalemsoft supporting the playbook! I assume you will be supporting bb10 as well?
    10-13-12 09:15 AM
    Knowing this is the same kalemsoft I have just purchased

My question on downloading is because I really want one apply where I can stream and download, aceplayer on ios does this well for example.

I have a humax hdr fox t2 freeview recorder which has dlna or I can browse by http and download to take files on the road :-) the files are mpeg 2 .ts files (sd recordings) or .h264 .ts files (hd can be 720p/1080i/p) , tried an sd recording before I came out and it plays well - so a worthy purchase already!

Will try a hd file or two later, player has good subtitle support and browsing with folders is great, question what's the diff between remote and stream options ?

The playbook is excellent for watching due to the screen resolution and size and speakers just a pain I have to transfer files via pc due to this 2gb issue - annoyingly it works wifi transfer being pushed from pc so it must be some os limitation?

Tried an mkv which wouldn't work on built in player due to dts sound and it played but slow, if I recall correctly I did push it through 'playmore' which I purchased for playbook and it then played fine - mkv's are a pain even ipad can't play them unless in an mp4 container as apple don't allow hardware accelleration but do if its in an mp4 container!
    Last edited by damianiw; 10-13-12 at 10:57 AM.
    10-13-12 10:33 AM
    OMG finally someone has done it!! I've been annoyed as heck that the PB never had one single third party app that could play unsupported codecs in videos while my android has had that capability for 2 years. It was the one and only thing that kept me from rating the PB 100% perfect for my own personal uses for tablets. To say I'm ecstatic about this app release is a gross understatement. Thatnk you so very much Kalemsoft, I no longer need to mess around with video converter software. 5 stars for this app all the way!
    10-13-12 11:35 AM
    I think I may have just found out the reason why this is crashing - System Locale for Non-Unicode Programs - I have it set to "Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan)", and when I read that you're not able to reproduce the problem I changed it to "English (Canada)", restarted and the problem went away, I was able to browse into folders with Chinese characters. Switched back to the Chinese locale and the problem came back.

KalemSoft Media Player for Playbook Released-test.jpg

Let me know if you still need me to contact your support system.
    10-13-12 12:01 PM
    Apologies in my earlier post I said 'playmore' but 'watchmore' is the playbook app which I used on the test 1080p mkv with dts to make it play - interestingly native playbook player says 'cannot play' before parsing through watch more but shows a still of the video so as usual with pb I think the native inability is the audio rather than video codec.

After parsing through watch more it plays fine in kalemsoft and native but before playback was very slow in kalemsoft.

About to test hd .ts from my humax :-)

Loving the playback of sd .ts though

Regards

Damian
    10-13-12 12:48 PM
    Apologies in my earlier post I said 'playmore' but 'watchmore' is the playbook app which I used on the test 1080p mkv with dts to make it play - interestingly native playbook player says 'cannot play' before parsing through watch more but shows a still of the video so as usual with pb I think the native inability is the audio rather than video codec.

After parsing through watch more it plays fine in kalemsoft and native but before playback was very slow in kalemsoft.

About to test hd .ts from my humax :-)

Loving the playback of sd .ts though

Regards

Damian
    I tried to play 17~19Mbps bitrate 1080i .ts but because kalemsoft player cannot deinterlaced, it results in interlace lines and due to high bitrate it stutters... Any hope in deinterlacing?
    10-13-12 01:41 PM
    I think I may have just found out the reason why this is crashing - System Locale for Non-Unicode Programs - I have it set to "Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan)", and when I read that you're not able to reproduce the problem I changed it to "English (Canada)", restarted and the problem went away, I was able to browse into folders with Chinese characters. Switched back to the Chinese locale and the problem came back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	122986

Let me know if you still need me to contact your support system.
    Yup, that was it. Thanks a lot for the valuable info. We are working on it now...

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    10-13-12 02:49 PM
1,236 1234 ...