Hi,

I know there are other threads on this, and I have looked at them, and I have gone through some of the introductory stuff on the blackberry site (https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/devzone/platforms) but I thought I would ask a quick question before diving in.

First, a bit about my experience. I've been programming now for about 12 years, and almost all of it has been in the java J2EE domain. Much of this java experience has been with middle and lower tier back-end code, and for the past 6 years or so I've been working primarily in a java/web struts based framework (with Eclipse as the IDE). I also have quite a bit of experience on the front end of java web based apps as well, so that means HTML, javascript, css, and everything in between.

That being said, I'm torn on whether I should start with the HTML 5/Webworks route, or the java route.

As a first app I'm looking at building something simple that allows me to input and search on the data entered. So basically some forms for input, some sort of database on the back end to store the user's data, and a search screen. I have some other ideas as well, but we'll see how easy it is to do this first one.

Anyway, suggestions on the HTML5/Webworks vs the java route based on my experience would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by jononku; 04-12-12 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Title
    04-12-12 11:01 AM
    Hi,

I know there are other threads on this, and I have looked at them, and I have gone through some of the introductory stuff on the blackberry site (https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/devzone/platforms) but I thought I would ask a quick question before diving in.

First, a bit about my experience. I've been programming now for about 12 years, and almost all of it has been in the java J2EE domain. Much of this java experience has been with middle and lower tier back-end code, and for the past 6 years or so I've been working primarily in a java/web struts based framework (with Eclipse as the IDE). I also have quite a bit of experience on the front end of java web based apps as well, so that means HTML, javascript, css, and everything in between.

That being said, I'm torn on whether I should start with the HTML 5/Webworks route, or the java route.

As a first app I'm looking at building something simple that allows me to input and search on the data entered. So basically some forms for input, some sort of database on the back end to store the user's data, and a search screen. I have some other ideas as well, but we'll see how easy it is to do this first one.

Anyway, suggestions on the HTML5/Webworks vs the java route based on my experience would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    I am a Java developer who has written a PB app using Adobe AIR. You will not be able to use Java for BB10 apps so the next best thing is pure AS3 - stay away from Flex. Porting is fairly straight forward but you will miss threads and all of the standard Java extension libraries. There are other weaknesses but there are workarounds that get the job done (although not always in the most elegant way). AS3 is at least object oriented and working with databases is a snap. The QNX UI controls are easy and quite good once you get used to them.
    04-12-12 12:39 PM
    I am a Java developer who has written a PB app using Adobe AIR. You will not be able to use Java for BB10 apps so the next best thing is pure AS3 - stay away from Flex. Porting is fairly straight forward but you will miss threads and all of the standard Java extension libraries. There are other weaknesses but there are workarounds that get the job done (although not always in the most elegant way). AS3 is at least object oriented and working with databases is a snap. The QNX UI controls are easy and quite good once you get used to them.
    Thanks for the tip, I shall follow up with the action script route. As a java developer, I was hoping the general response I got was to go down the java path. So java won't be an option with the next OS? Any clue why?
    04-12-12 01:39 PM
    Originally they stated java would be available, but made a decision not to include it.

I am a Java developer who also has used Adobe AIR for my Playbook apps, however I feel WebWorks will have more capabilities in the future as there are few Air Native Extensions to tap into the QNX apis (other than writing them yourself). I believe the Web Works APIs are open source.
    04-12-12 01:53 PM
    Thanks for the tip, I shall follow up with the action script route. As a java developer, I was hoping the general response I got was to go down the java path. So java won't be an option with the next OS? Any clue why?
    Nope. Perhaps RIM had a conversation with Oracle and decided not to pay the specified ransom. For BBOS developers though, it was the worst possible outcome. I've had to learn AS3 and how to deal with its idiosyncrasies. Now that I've run into a performance wall, I have start all over again with with c++. Most apps should be just fine using AS3 though and you will find lots of assistance in the official RIM developers' forums. Good luck with all your future projects!
    04-12-12 02:01 PM
    skype or netflix client perhaps

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    04-12-12 09:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD