Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    Oh, good, by Summer I will have finally restored dozens of apps to my recently Security Wiped (yesterday) PB!!! Not kidding, restoring apps from Appworld is the most tedious process. Go to UNinstalled, find an app in the alpha list. Click REinstall, now you are in the INstalled screen. Go back to UNinstalled, wade through alpha list, find another, tap, cycle over and over and over.

I hope that BB10 handles this differently or allows DM to deal with one, two, multiple, all app backups and reinstalls.
    Quoting myself. It has been more than 48 hours and I am still restoring apps. Boy, does this aspect of the pb need help. Or I have too many apps. Apologies to Buzz, but I did not realize WhatsUp was missing since each time I go to UNinstalled, I'm back at the A's. I was scanning downward and downward but kept seeing things to REinstall. Finally, late this afternoon, I decide to go to the very end and see what was in the high Alphabet!!!! This really is awful!
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,467 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rupam95 View Post
    BB10 for PlayBook not until summer...well, I'm fukin pissed now.

Disappointing, but I'm really not getting why people are surprised at this. Seems to be a trend on CrackBerry - rumours come out of nowhere, go through the old telephone game where the story gets changed, then people start believing it to be true.
    ------------------------------------
    I like how BlackBerry 10 is evolving, but when are they going to fix BlackBerry Link for Mac?

The fact that it doesn't reliably do what it's supposed to do ... most of the time ... is utterly appalling. The only consistency is the "Music not copied to Z10 message"
    kbz1960 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Default Re: Info: Where are all the New Apps

This thread has made be depressed
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,467 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KermEd View Post
    So milage will very - but building to BB10 isn't the real problem. What it means to PB users is it is very difficult for us to "go back" to OS 2.1. So, Secure Browser - which has a lot of nice improvements - won't be back portable to PB.
    Sorry - can you clarify. Would apps be easily portable to Playbook running BlackBerry 10 vs. trying to make a BlackBerry 10 app work on BlackBerry Tablet OS?

but my sources told me it can't release any earlier (no team was assigned to it to build it).
    I heard there was some work done on it, but the timing is in line with what you say. I imagine they also have some 'data migration' issues in getting information from AIR apps into Cascade apps.
    ------------------------------------
    I like how BlackBerry 10 is evolving, but when are they going to fix BlackBerry Link for Mac?

The fact that it doesn't reliably do what it's supposed to do ... most of the time ... is utterly appalling. The only consistency is the "Music not copied to Z10 message"
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,501 Global Posts

Default Re: Info: Where are all the New Apps

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    Sorry - can you clarify. Would apps be easily portable to Playbook running BlackBerry 10 vs. trying to make a BlackBerry 10 app work on BlackBerry Tablet OS?

I heard there was some work done on it, but the timing is in line with what you say. I imagine they also have some 'data migration' issues in getting information from AIR apps into Cascade apps.
    yes this puzzles me too. I thought that playbook os is essentially bb10 as both run on qnx. so porting all apps should be brainless pretty much. I guess there is more to that.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #31  

Default Info: Where are all the New Apps

Your right,

PB using BB10 should be *much* easier. Just some UI % adjustments and not much recoding.

My info for the estimated date is about a month old so having some work started would make sense and means summer is doable!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

two things come to mind,

1) Like you said once you are targeting BB10, it is difficult to back port to support PBOS. What is the expectation about apps that are currently working on PB, when BB10 comes to PB? I don't think they can discontinue all the current apps as incompatible with the new PB BB10 OS? I know they release dev beta, so dev can update their apps usually but if it almost like rewriting the app then we stand to lose quite a few apps?

2) Porting from BB10 phone to BB10 playbook, like you mention should be much easier, and I expect that is something that RIM would be able to handle for dev (at some level, just like they offered PB to BB10 or top apps etc).

If #1 is true and we lose a lot of apps from PB when it gets BB10, then #2 better be handled by RIM otherwise once BB10 drops on PB, it will essentially have to start over in terms of apps?
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #33  

Hmm, good points - speculation here for me... But I think most of the *good* apps will get ported to PB for BB10. But a lot of the one-off terrible little apps won't be.

App generator apps, webworks bbui, android, marmalade and appcellerator can likely be ported for developers.

Native apps, AS3 apps and some WebWorks (jQuery mobile) apps will probably need some UI resizing (these are apps like Rebuild, Angry Birds, etc). Basically undoing the BB10 UI we are building out now. Just kind of sets a future date for it.

But it reduces the likelihood that devs will target PB on OS2.1. I'm hoping to keep building for both (providing I get more free time )

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thanks. I guess the question I should ask is, how hard is it for dev to update PB OS 2.1 Apps to work on PB BB10.

I think that might be a challenge for RIM, if PB OS 2.1 apps require major re-write/effort from dev, then end users might get angry if their purchased PB OS 2.1 apps stop working when they upgrade to PB BB10.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,860 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

From BlackBerrydev regarding BlackBerry10 release for PlayBook: There is no eta that can be shared publicly at the moment...There is obviously a business need to do the BB10 phones first.

Sounds to me like we will get it when we get it lol!

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12