Is anybody else here a little fed up with these Digi-Media-Apps "apps" that are flooding the App World currently? This is almost as bad as those fake GPS maps. Some days(although not today) it feels like I'm missing what the newest actual apps are because over half of the Newest section are all these ebooks masquerading as apps.

What gives? Why doesn't this company just come out with a main app that then allows you to purchase these individual books(which it appears are almost all public domain...)?
    d3adcrab and Artwerks like this.
    09-21-11 04:48 PM
    They aren't doing that because they've found a nice little App World loophole, courtesy of RIM, and are milking it for all they're worth. (Same as the fake/crap GPS map vendor.)

I'd suggest directing your anger towards RIM on this issue (and user feedback will definitely have an impact, if enough people complain). Not only does it annoy the users, but it really hurts the legitimate vendors who release a new app for that all-important first few days of visibility in Newest, only to find their app pushed quickly to the bottom and off the list in only a few hours because of this problem.

Not only should these "cloned" apps probably not be given the prominence of other, "real" apps, but I think vendors in general should probably be subject to a filter (perhaps a "token bucket") that limits how many apps of theirs will enter the queue in any given timeframe.

The same restrictions should apply to the Recently Updated list, as it suffers from the same problem.
    09-21-11 05:19 PM
    I'd suggest directing your anger towards RIM on this issue (and user feedback will definitely have an impact, if enough people complain). Not only does it annoy the users, but it really hurts the legitimate vendors who release a new app for that all-important first few days of visibility in Newest, only to find their app pushed quickly to the bottom and off the list in only a few hours because of this problem.
    This is a huge issue and I'm wondering if RIM thinks that this strategy is great for increasing app tonnage. I've sent emails to app world marketing and received no acknowledgement. If someone knew how to organize an email campaign, I would certainly join the effort.
    09-21-11 11:36 PM
    I have no experience with the Apple app store (or whatever they call it) for iPad's.
    Do these type of books and maps appear there too?
    Or, is this only a RIM issue?

From RIM's standpoint i doubt they care. They get commission on paid downloads, and they can say they have 'so many' apps in appWorld
    Last edited by mandony; 09-22-11 at 08:52 PM.
    09-22-11 07:20 PM
    @mandony, we can make them care, if they don't. I seriously doubt those things get many downloads (judging from the ratings on those offline map apps, the only people downloading worked for the vendor, and gave fake reviews). Meanwhile, they discourage serious vendors who could ultimately make RIM a lot more money than those jokers are going to.

I think they probably care though, but may need guidance to decide what to do. Feedback from the community always helps with that, even if it's very difficult to see the connection much of the time. They do listen.
    09-22-11 08:09 PM
    We absolutely need these crappy ebooks segregated from the real apps. I check the new app list every day and now these ebooks are pushing real apps off the page.
    09-22-11 08:37 PM
    @peter9477

Do you know of an email address with an actual person at the other end? When I send polite requests to BlackBerry App World Marketing ( [email protected]) I don't even get an acknowledgement.

Today I asked if the magnetometer was on their radar for some future release of AIR SDK (no specifics required) I did not get a return email. But within 1/2 hour my app was on the featured carousel using info and image I had sent to this address back in June. I'll take their surprise with gratitude (I'm not going to turn down increased exposure), but their action did not really answer my question.

Trying to communicate with RIM is somewhat like talking to a wall. Really frustrating.
    09-22-11 08:44 PM
    Also those Sport apps are flooding the App World as well. the UI is boring as **** from what i can tell by the screenshots and why wouldn't care to pay the $0.99 *when we have TheScoreMobile for free?
    09-22-11 09:50 PM
    Today I asked if the magnetometer was on their radar for some future release of AIR SDK (no specifics required) I did not get a return email. But within 1/2 hour my app was on the featured carousel using info and image I had sent to this address back in June. I'll take their surprise with gratitude (I'm not going to turn down increased exposure), but their action did not really answer my question.
    those arent `connected events`. the featured reel gets refreshed on thursdays, so thats just them featuring your app as requested a while ago (yes im sure there`s a que).

as for asking appworld `marketing` about API`s in SDK`s, id say your emailing/asking the wrong people.

and to the main issue of this thread, all i`ll say, is when you start on the `thats not an app/ thats not a worthwhile app` route, where do you end? and who decides the `worthiness` of any given app. same for any other thing such as `you can only have x ammount of items showing in the new list at any one time` which could be read as `dont submit too much, cos we wont show it off` which isnt a good thing, and before the `well it would only apply to......` arguement, back to my first point - its all a slippery slope to go down.
    09-22-11 11:38 PM
    those arent `connected events`. the featured reel gets refreshed on thursdays, so thats just them featuring your app as requested a while ago (yes im sure there`s a que).

as for asking appworld `marketing` about API`s in SDK`s, id say your emailing/asking the wrong people.

and to the main issue of this thread, all i`ll say, is when you start on the `thats not an app/ thats not a worthwhile app` route, where do you end? and who decides the `worthiness` of any given app. same for any other thing such as `you can only have x ammount of items showing in the new list at any one time` which could be read as `dont submit too much, cos we wont show it off` which isnt a good thing, and before the `well it would only apply to......` arguement, back to my first point - its all a slippery slope to go down.
    Maybe the events are connected and maybe they aren't. But how can I know if RIM never responds to messages sent to any of the published address - ever? Maybe your experience is different. Have you ever sent an email to any RIM email address concerning app world marketing policy? Did your question answered?

And I don't think that we are talking about banning certain app types - just throttling the rate at which apps can be submitted by a given developer. There is noting wrong with RIM regulating the marketplace so that certain undesirable behaviours are discouraged.

And as Peter mentioned in this thread, another behaviour RIM should regulate is the abuse of the developers' privilege to delete "inappropriate" reviews. Allowing ringers to post false rave reviews must also be outlawed. I think RIM has a responsibility to make sure that there is a level playing field. I would like to obtain the official policy describing how RIM determines whether a review is "innapropriate" or not.

Where should I send my emai?

Do you know where we can send our suggestions?
    09-23-11 12:31 AM
    Have you ever sent an email to any RIM email address concerning app world marketing policy? Did your question answered?
    nope, never emailed them.

And I don't think that we are talking about banning certain app types - just throttling the rate at which apps can be submitted by a given developer. There is noting wrong with RIM regulating the marketplace so that certain undesirable behaviours are discouraged.
    maybe, maybe not, all i know is its not for me to decide, personally though i think throttling devs apps would discourage developers.

And as Peter mentioned in this thread, another behaviour RIM should regulate is the abuse of the developers' privilege to delete "inappropriate" reviews. Allowing ringers to post false rave reviews must also be outlawed. I think RIM has a responsibility to make sure that there is a level playing field. I would like to obtain the official policy describing how RIM determines whether a review is "innapropriate" or not.
    my honest thoughts on this? well reviews have to be `submitted to be removed` at which point it falls down to appworld people to remove/keep. but again you fall on the very hazy line of appropriate/inappropriate/spam/unhelpful and choosing which comment is which would be a nightmare.

as for these so called `false rave` reviews, youd need to back that up with some real evidence before ya go shouting that one.

Where should I send my emai?

Do you know where we can send our suggestions?
    id suggest tweeting @blackberrydev as they are developer releations on twitter.
    09-23-11 12:20 PM
    @BBThemes
    The term "inappropriate" is not mine. This is the way RIM defines the procedure for requesting that a review be removed:
    --------------------

If you feel that any of these reviews are inappropriate, click the "Approve Review" or "Deny Review" button and a ticket will be created for the BlackBerry App World Manager requesting that the status of the review be changed.

---------------------

In theory RIM reserves the right to judge the merits of each request, but in practice the merits cannot be judged because there are no well-defined guidelines. And no, I do not think that broadcasting a 140 character message is the best way to facilitate a three-way dialog among RIM, developers and consumers. The current system is broken and needs to be fixed.
    09-23-11 02:18 PM
    And no, I do not think that broadcasting a 140 character message is the best way to facilitate a three-way dialog among RIM, developers and consumers. The current system is broken and needs to be fixed.
    cant say i didnt try an help.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    09-23-11 02:30 PM
    as for these so called `false rave` reviews, youd need to back that up with some real evidence before ya go shouting that one.
    Just check the various offline map apps for all the reviews by kozen. He's quite a polyglot, not to mention a world-traveller with a time machine. ;-)
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    09-23-11 03:26 PM
    Just check the various offline map apps for all the reviews by kozen. He's quite a polyglot, not to mention a world-traveller with a time machine. ;-)
    Regret there have been been many unhappy customers for these defective "GPS" map apps. Unless the purchasers make a storm with the appWorld administrators, these 'apps' will continue to be available.

Peter, you are correct: In the same week after 'his/her' app release 'kozen' did 'hiking' in Hong Kong and Calgary Canada! Hiking in Hong Kong! I've been there, not much place to 'hike' ... maybe the night (food) market) ... BUT, gave * * * * * (five star) reviews.
    Last edited by mandony; 09-23-11 at 08:55 PM.
    09-23-11 05:37 PM
    About half of the new apps listed today are ebooks. Even the list of updated apps includes ebooks! AppWorld is an absolute joke. I knew buying a PlayBook that the apps were going to be the main weakness but it's a lot worse than I ever expected and it isn't getting better.
    09-24-11 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD